6-Speed transmission problem - water in the tranny!!!

biturbo

1,200 miles and the local Dodge dealer found 2 cups of water in the transmission. They seem to think it was in there from the factory. I noticed the problem while driving. Smelled a weird burning oil aroma and saw blue smoke as we drove. Pulled over and inspected the undercarriage to discover tranny oil dripping from the cross member. Called road side assistance who sent a flat bed truck and brought it to the dealer. The tranny tech pulled the pan, saw the water, and called Dodge Engineering Group for direction. They said to flush the tranny a few times, fill with new oil, and test drive. They said the oil and water caused it to foam which found it's way out the vent (wherever that is) and sprayed on the exhaust pipe. I got the vehicle back it it seems to be running fine.

However, I'm concerned internal damage may have occurred. Does anyone have info about the internals of this tranny? What kind of clutch pack does it have? I'm not sure what to do at this point. Demand a new transmission?

1,200 miles and the local Dodge dealer found 2 cups of water in the transmission. They seem to think it was in there from the factory. I noticed the problem while driving. Smelled a weird burning oil aroma and saw blue smoke as we drove. Pulled over and inspected the undercarriage to discover tranny oil dripping from the cross member. Called road side assistance who sent a flat bed truck and brought it to the dealer. The tranny tech pulled the pan, saw the water, and called Dodge Engineering Group for direction. They said to flush the tranny a few times, fill with new oil, and test drive. They said the oil and water caused it to foam which found it's way out the vent (wherever that is) and sprayed on the exhaust pipe. I got the vehicle back it it seems to be running fine.

However, I'm concerned internal damage may have occurred. Does anyone have info about the internals of this tranny? What kind of clutch pack does it have? I'm not sure what to do at this point. Demand a new transmission?

You don't say whether you're in the US or Canada. If you're in the US, I'd watch and see if any problems develop, but wouldn't worry too much about it. You're covered by the lifetime powertrain warranty, so even if a problem develops 5 years from now, you'll be OK. If you're in Canada, it's a bit different, because Crysler doesn't offer the lifetime powertrain warranty - at least not without a price. In that case I would demand a new transmission - in writing. If they refuse, at least you have a paper trail if it eventually does have a problem. At a minimum, I'd be very attentative to ANY signs of a problem for about the next 6 months. Beyond that, you'll probably be OK.

You don't say whether you're in the US or Canada. If you're in the US, I'd watch and see if any problems develop, but wouldn't worry too much about it. You're covered by the lifetime powertrain warranty, so even if a problem develops 5 years from now, you'll be OK. If you're in Canada, it's a bit different, because Crysler doesn't offer the lifetime powertrain warranty - at least not without a price. In that case I would demand a new transmission - in writing. If they refuse, at least you have a paper trail if it eventually does have a problem. At a minimum, I'd be very attentative to ANY signs of a problem for about the next 6 months. Beyond that, you'll probably be OK.

I'm in the US, so yes I do have the lifetime powertrain warranty. I did voice my concern to the follow up service call (the one where they ask how satisfied you were with the service). The lady wrote down my concerns so there is somewhat of a paper trail.

I'm VERY anal about my vehicles, so you can bet I'll be watching it for trouble. Furthermore, my good friend is the general manager at the dealership I purchased and serviced the vehicle at, so he's been very helpful getting this resolved. His wife also has a Journey R/T, so he's just as concerned as I am. I told him to have the service department check his tranny oil just to be safe.

• 2 years later...

I'm in the US, so yes I do have the lifetime powertrain warranty. I did voice my concern to the follow up service call (the one where they ask how satisfied you were with the service). The lady wrote down my concerns so there is somewhat of a paper trail.

I'm VERY anal about my vehicles, so you can bet I'll be watching it for trouble. Furthermore, my good friend is the general manager at the dealership I purchased and serviced the vehicle at, so he's been very helpful getting this resolved. His wife also has a Journey R/T, so he's just as concerned as I am. I told him to have the service department check his tranny oil just to be safe.

humm.. anyone know where this tranny '' vent '' is ? so i can have a eye on it .... can i see it from the top when i open the hood or you have to crawl under the car ?

humm.. anyone know where this tranny '' vent '' is ? so i can have a eye on it .... can i see it from the top when i open the hood or you have to crawl under the car ?

The issue is that a drain hose is routed too close to the PTO/PTU unit and water will drain into it. Mine went back to the dealer, they rerouted the drain hose and drained and refilled the unit, 3 weeks later the PTO/PTU blew out and is now being replaced. So this is an issue for owners with AWD, unless the hose is rerouted water will get into the unit. I am gettin my Journey back today, hopefully this will finally fix the issue as this was the third time in for the shop for this issue. There is nothing to keep an eye on, if water gets into the unit you will smell burning oil and need to get it into the dealer.

• 1 year later...

The issue is that a drain hose is routed too close to the PTO/PTU unit and water will drain into it. Mine went back to the dealer, they rerouted the drain hose and drained and refilled the unit, 3 weeks later the PTO/PTU blew out and is now being replaced. So this is an issue for owners with AWD, unless the hose is rerouted water will get into the unit. I am gettin my Journey back today, hopefully this will finally fix the issue as this was the third time in for the shop for this issue. There is nothing to keep an eye on, if water gets into the unit you will smell burning oil and need to get it into the dealer.

Do you know where this drain hose is located or what it drains? Dealer is trying to tell me my Wife's car was in a flood. Told them to find signs of water damage to the car other than water in the trans/PTO. outer input seal has already been replaced three times and I thin it ios getting in there like you say.

Service manager said that the tech aslo found rust on the trans dip stick and I told him to find the non-exsisting dip stick. Dip Sh!t