Upgraded to HID headlamps

Hello all!

Just wanted to put this out there. If you are thinking of upgrading your headlamps to HID, you really have to watch what kit you get. I went through three different manufactures looking for a conversion kit that worked. I have an 09 R/T and let me tell you about my problems.

The first kit I purchased (via the internet) claimed everything was included. Not so. After I installed the unit (2 ballasts, 2 bulbs) the system didn't work correctly. One lamp would light, or both would light and then flicker. Very annoying. I discovered that I needed a relay harness. I ordered that, installed it. It solved the problem of both lights not turning on, but not the flickering. Also, a new problem showed up. The relay buzzed VERY LOUDLY. I was then told I needed "cancelers". So I bought them, installed them, and still had problems! Now I'm into this to the tune of about $130 US. So I send it all back, get a refund, and try another company. Pretty much the same problems, only this time the relay not only buzzed but kept getting stuck in the "ON" position. This setup also was about $130. Send it all back. Now I try a third company (thinking this had better work or forget it) because I'm out about $15 in shipping costs. I ordered from

XenonHIDconversionKit.com after speaking to them on the phone. They assured me their kit, with "canbus" ballasts, will work fine. They weren't kidding. Of all the kits, theirs was really plug and play, uses the factory headlamp connectors

(their unit acutally draws less then a 55 watt halogen bulb, so no issues there) no relay harness. Took about 15 mins to install and haven't had an issue. Paid $110 US with shipping.

I have nothing to do with this company, don't know anyone from this company, and am getting nothing for free from this company. I just put their name out because I am really pleased with their product and hope I can help someone else avoid the

problems I had. Look them up and decide for yourself.

:D

Edited by OhareFred

OK, I am not the best with computers. I cannot get the pics to post even though they are JPEG. Someone tried to help me once before, but I still couldn't get it.

Anyway, on the 09 Journey, the low beams take a 9006 bulb. The high and low beams are two separate bulbs in different sections of the headlamp housing. If you have DRL's, I think the DRL's use the high beams at a lower wattage/voltage.

The kit I ordered was for the 9006 bulbs in the 6,000K range. The color is mostly white with just the slightest hint of blue. They are 55 watt bulbs, and because I didn't want to blind anyone, I went with the 6,000 as opposed to 4300K. Remember, the lower the K, the more lumens you get, so the light is brighter. Believe me, 6000K is more then bright enough. I also lowered my headlamp aim a couple of turns on both sides. I am happy to say I have not had any type of problem with this kit.

Again, if you checkout the site you can see their options. What really impressed me was being able to call and talk to someone direct!

Happy to help! :D

No, no issues at all. The halogen bulbs are also 55 watts, so I would not expect any. Most HID bulbs are 35 watt, giving more light from less watts, with less heat of course. 55watt HID should not be any hotter then 55 watt halogen. They might even be a bit cooler.

I'm glad I don't live in your neighborhood.

Why would that be?? I live in a very nice neighborhood.

If you read my second post, you will see I lowered the aim on the bulbs. I have not had one person flash their high beams at me. If you look at you halogen low beams, you will see they are 55 watts. I agree 35 watt bulbs were more then bright enough, but I couldn't get a kit that work with the DJ with 35 watt bulbs.

Edited by OhareFred

• 2 months later...

does anyone know why my low beam remaim on when i turn my high beam on this started right after i install a hid low beam kit i use a relay harness with a capacitor also

this is normal , you probably don't noticed it before but the low beam remain on even with the high beam

Well, Burn hit this one too, so I guess I should reply to OhareFred:

It isn't the watts. It is the lumens. A 9006 puts out all of 1100 lumens. a 35 watt HID does 3200 lumens. A 55 watt HID pushes ~5000 lumens - that's five times as much light as the stock headlight. Way too much light for street operation.

Also, so the Canbus might report bulb issues with 35 watt HIDs - put in a load resistor to dissipate the extra watts.

Note that the reflector isn't designed for HID bulbs - aim it any way you like, the fact is that there is a huge amount of dazzle (flare) from the reflector - that's one of the reasons why HID conversions and even replacing bulbs with higher wattage ones of the same technology is not street legal.

I used these guys, have bought stuff from them before, never any problems so far.

http://www.ddmtuning...last-35W-or-55W

Went with a 35w 4500k kit, with the 'error eliminator". Nice easy install on these cars, everything easy to reach.

What is the error eliminator for? Did you order both 9006 (low's) and 9005 (high beam) kits? Do you think the 4500k will match the fog light color you bought in another thread? Thanks.

What is the error eliminator for?

Keeps them from flickering,and not starting. Also keeps any codes from showing, not that that matters reaally.

Did you order both 9006 (low's) and 9005 (high beam) kits?

No only lows. Can't shut DRLs off, so they won't work with lower DRL voltage when they are on.

Do you think the 4500k will match the fog light color you bought in another thread? Thanks.

Should be close I hope. Should atleast be alot closer.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i purchased the kit as indicated by OhareFred and all i can say is THANK YOU!!!!

This is a fantastic kit, works out of the box, not additional faffing with relays or additional power cables to the battery.

Quite simply it works!

Well i purchased the kit as indicated by OhareFred and all i can say is THANK YOU!!!!

This is a fantastic kit, works out of the box, not additional faffing with relays or additional power cables to the battery.

Quite simply it works!

What is required to install these?

Are they plug and play?

Where do you put the ballast?

• 2 weeks later...

No tools required, simply plug and play. On the drivers side, I have fixed the ballast to a bolt hole behind the fuse box. On the other side, I simply cable tied it to bulkhead panelling.

You will have to adjust your beams downwards a little, else you get flashed a lot, especially out in the country! I wound mine down 2 complete turns with a screwdriver. - make sure you go down which is to the + direction on the screw and not -. I at first raised mine by mistake due to this reverse logic!!

DDMtuning appear to be a good option, easy plug and play. I believe some users on here use DDM HIDs. I'm also in the market for HIDs, but may try the Marimoto HIDs from TRS. Appear to be high quality and the output from the ballast are much better than DDMs.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Moparman, What parts did you order for your Journey from DDM? Do I need all this?

I'd rather have the 35W kit, as mentioned above I think the 55W kit will be too bright.

Jay

Edited by shelby_nut