Front grille

Okay, so now my wife is home from work, I can be of some help...

pic 1) I used a flat head screwdriver to slowly pull up the tabs. It you pull them up all the way out, get the other part out that locks it in place or it could fall out unexpected. There are 5 of these across the top of the grill.

pic 2) This is harder to see, and I didn't do this step, because my tabs are in tight and I am not looking to replace my grill, but there are 5 black plastic tabs, about an inch across, evenly spaced where the grill and bumper meet. It appears that they push straight out. Use caution as mine are in really snug. Maybe using some kind of soapy water or other liquid substance will help it slide out with out breaking any plastic. This pic was taken looking straight down the center, from the top.

pic 3) These red circles indicate all the points where the grill is held on

The grill is 2 plastic pieces. The black honey comb is all one piece (the main structure) and the chrome is the second piece (decorative). So in my opinion, if you get that ebay grill it will put a lot more stress on the decorative chrome part, making it structural. I would imagine it being fine in a perfect world but if your grill ever gets hit by a rock while driving, kids pushing on it, or maybe even high winds (from driving fast) it could cause you having to replace the grill again in the future...unless, you are not afraid of fiberglass. Laying some fiberglass on the back side of the chrome piece would stiffen it up enough to with stand the real world...man I'm a genius :roses:

post-5184-0-39532800-1329775018_thumb.jp

post-5184-0-17159900-1329775034_thumb.jp

post-5184-0-65193500-1329775044_thumb.jp

• 3 months later...

Thanks for your help. I have tried to get the lower black tabs out aand cant figure it out. I talked to the body shop and they said they would have to take the whole front bumper off to do it? I think they just wanna charge me alot for something i can do by myself.

Any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

anyone knows how to take of the grille on a 2010 Journey?

All I am able to do is remove the clips on the top but the bottom part is not moving and i am not able to see anything that is holding that area in place.

I want to remove the grille so I can aply some plasti dip on the chrome piece.

Cheers!

I just plasti-dipped mine this past weekend.... all I did was taped of the headlights and bumper under the grill, Pulled back the facia so that I could slide a piece of cardboard behind the grill, so i didnt get it on the radiator.. and then sprayed. Looks nice imo... I will be taking pics and posting them after I do the headlights this weekend. (done on a 2010 sxt)

I just plasti-dipped mine this past weekend.... all I did was taped of the headlights and bumper under the grill, Pulled back the facia so that I could slide a piece of cardboard behind the grill, so i didnt get it on the radiator.. and then sprayed. Looks nice imo... I will be taking pics and posting them after I do the headlights this weekend. (done on a 2010 sxt)

I plasti diped the chrome part of the dash and it looks much better.Now I removed the whole grille and than removed the chrome piece of the grille with the dodge logo and i am spraying that now.It looks good.

here is the pics to the dash I plasti diped.The pictures dont show really how good it looks cause of some dust thats there but once cleaned it looks awesome.

1001240s.jpg

Here is the car with the grill sprayed with plasti dip.

1001250xz.jpg

1001249a.jpg

Edited by silentdan

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Sorry for posting in such an old topic, but I still have a question how to remove the grille... I can pull out the top plastic pins, but those clips in the bottom hold so tight, I don't want to damage the bumper. I can't figure out how to unclip the bottom side of the grille :banghead: . Any inputs would be very much appreciated.

I plasti diped the chrome part of the dash and it looks much better.Now I removed the whole grille and than removed the chrome piece of the grille with the dodge logo and i am spraying that now.It looks good.

here is the pics to the dash I plasti diped.The pictures dont show really how good it looks cause of some dust thats there but once cleaned it looks awesome.

1001240s.jpg

1001250xz.jpg

1001249a.jpg

I I love the black dash. How long did the PlastiDip last?

The grill just pulls out of the bumper cover with a little force , I had mine out and painted it black . It just pops back in when you replace it .

Bubba,

Tried that, but the whole front bumper pulls out when I try to pull the grille... I'm not sure how strong the pull should be, but I was concerned with getting the bumper apart :(

I like your blacked out front, by the way.

Bubba,

Tried that, but the whole front bumper pulls out when I try to pull the grille... I'm not sure how strong the pull should be, but I was concerned with getting the bumper apart :(

I like your blacked out front, by the way.

Totemus,

Bubba is correct, I did mine just like he said and it came right off. You just have to keep working with it. It will come off. The bumper will flex but eventually it will release. I have a 2010 Journey and I changed my grill to a 2012 Grill but now im gonna take it off again cause I want to paint or PlastiDip it Black.

• 3 years later...
On 7/25/2012 at 8:27 PM, silentdan said:

1001240s.jpg

1001250xz.jpg

1001249a.jpg

Resend those pictures. The links are dead. Or upload them to your account.  I wanna see them!