those with fuel level issues

b1pig

Curious if this issue has an official fix yet, or if a service buliten has been issued? I just purchased a 2012 Journey SXT in August, and it is having similar issues. The fuel guage is acting very strange, and I'm worried its unreliable. It won't read full, and a couple days ago, I ran it until the low fuel light came on then put 8gal in it, and it read nearly full... which is not even remotely possible with the 20gal tank

I would think that if you had the nozzle in and the pump hit auto shutoff after the 8 gals

it would be a tank ventilation problem as well and that the fuel guage is reflecting that

problem.

Once you moved the DJ did the guage change?

Did you happen to notice the DTE miles at the time after it was supposedly full?

Edited by bigtsr

• Official Dodge Support

Curious if this issue has an official fix yet, or if a service buliten has been issued? I just purchased a 2012 Journey SXT in August, and it is having similar issues. The fuel guage is acting very strange, and I'm worried its unreliable. It won't read full, and a couple days ago, I ran it until the low fuel light came on then put 8gal in it, and it read nearly full... which is not even remotely possible with the 20gal tank

The TSB has not been released yet but I will post it here as soon as it is released.

Fuel gauge in this vehicle is all jacked up. Not only can you not fill up the tank all the way. But now my low fuel light comes on and chimes with over 1/4 tank left (5 gallons or so). That's a bit pre-mature if you ask me.

I don't even watch me fuel gauge anymore, and I ignore the low fuel light. I just go by my trip distance. Once I get to 400 miles I know it's about time to fill up (since I average 23mpg every tank). Screw the fuel gauge!

I would think that if you had the nozzle in and the pump hit auto shutoff after the 8 gals

it would be a tank ventilation problem as well and that the fuel guage is reflecting that

problem.

Once you moved the DJ did the guage change?

Did you happen to notice the DTE miles at the time after it was supposedly full?

Filled it with the auto shut off, it clicked off, I tried again since I knew it couldn't be full, and it quickly clicked off again. Registered on the gauge just below full. I have been driving on this 9 gal for a couple days now, and I'm currently sitting at a half tank, it has slowly dropped as I have drove, just like it normally would.

I've made an appointment with the dealership for tomorrow, since I've only had possession of this vehicle a month a two days... but considering canceling it. They don't want to give me a loaner, and have no set plan to fix it. I don't want to be without our new vehicle for days while they try part swaps to see if that fixes the problem.

Maybe I should wait for Dodge to release the TSB.

Just to update, sorry for the delay.

Took it into the dealer even though the TSB has not been released ...and to be expected, I received the proper run-around. Service manager said this was "normal" for the Journey and could not be repaired. He attempted no repair or diagnostics I am aware of. I guess I'll just be keeping this thing topped off until the TSB is released, since I cannot trust my brand new Journey to accurately tell me how much fuel is in the tank :rant2:

I just picked up my 2013 DJ Crew 3 days ago. This morning I was on E with the fuel light on, so I stopped to fuel up. It took a little over 11 gallons and the pump shut off. I knew that it was a 20 gallon tank so I just assumed it was the pump so I tried to fill it up some more and it immediately clicked off again. Got in the vehicle and turned on the ignition, only to see that my gauge wasn't even at 7/8. Now I stumble upon this thread... ugh, frustrating!

Nobody has answered the question regarding wether if you move

or rock these particular DJs with the gascap off can you put more fuel

into the tank,it would seem to me that if you can this would show

filler/tank ventilation might be the reason.

I agree that ventilation is a most likely cause but I am no going to "rock and roll" my DJ every time I fill up just to get another couple of litres into it. There has to be a fix from Chrysler in the form of a TSB to address this well documented issue. Instead of bickering with my service manager, I will wait for the TSB to be released and take it in hand to the dealership and have it fixed and filled up N/C for testing purposes of course.

• 3 weeks later...

Quite honestly wasn't advocating the rocking of the DJ

everytime you fill up but more to establish the fact

that either it does/doesn't help.

Just a starting mark when you complain to Chrysler,

again to indicate poor ventilation.

It is most definitely poor ventilation. When I was filling up last week, I let up on the flow counting about 5 to 6 seconds per litre, about a quarter throttle and when it clicked, I rounded up to the next whole dollar and the tank read full for the first time. Seems the air can't escape as fast as fuel is entering the tank. Poorly designed tank neck. This solution worked for me. Took about a minute extra but got her full. Cheers.

It is most definitely poor ventilation. When I was filling up last week, I let up on the flow counting about 5 to 6 seconds per litre, about a quarter throttle and when it clicked, I rounded up to the next whole dollar and the tank read full for the first time. Seems the air can't escape as fast as fuel is entering the tank. Poorly designed tank neck. This solution worked for me. Took about a minute extra but got her full. Cheers.

Seems common on most vehicles, I always fill the tank at partial throttle and pull out a bit to top up the last dollar or two. The click/cut off is just a safety feature so someone doesn't accidentally get distracted and over fill their tanks and spill gas everywhere, its not an indicator that your tank is guaranteed filled to capacity.

I've never had to slowly fill the last few gallons on any of my past 10+ vehicles owned. You just latch the fuel nozzle and let it click off on it's own and you have a full tank. No manual input required.

Has the fix still not come out? 2 months late now...

While I've noticed some of my past vehicles will show full after the click, a slow pump and a bit more after the click has always resulted in the fuel gage going further past full. I think the problem is more about ventilation than it is about a software modification.

I now have a theory that it's state dependent. I went to Nevada these past couple days and filled up at 2 different gas stations. And both times it hit full (for the first time since I've owned the car)! I noticed the gas nozzles look slightly different too. So maybe the California gas nozzels are differently designed and screw with our ventilation system??

• 1 month later...

Never did see a TSB released to this thread. The more I study my fuel filling routine, I almost feel the error, for me, may be the gauge. I filled my last few tanks at 1/4 left in the tank and got nowhere near 15 US gallons back into the tank even with gas refluxing onto my rear fender. I am beginning to think the gauge is registering towards empty too soon. :unsure:

I really don't know. . . I'd love to see the TSB so I could match up my symptoms with those in the TSB.

Peace.

• Official Dodge Support

Good afternoon all,

Just thought I’d let you all know that I looked in to this and, first things first, this is not a known issue with engineering so there is no official response.

With that being said, from what I have gathered, this is either an issue where air can't vent out of the tank, or the fuel can't get in.

So, either the rollover valve in the fuel filler neck isn’t allowing fuel in, or the vent to the tank is blocked not allowing air out

Now most vehicles have a fuel tank pressure sensor. If/when the voltage increases dramatically, when filling - air can’t escape, which indicates a venting issue. If/when the voltage doesn’t increase, and the pump kicks off, fuel can’t get in, which points to a likely filler neck issue.

Hope that gives a bit of clarity and if you are still concerned, I can only recommend getting your JC to your dealer.

I had a '05 and 06 Ford Escape with the same problem. Ford replaced the filler neck on the '06, but I had to make a lot of noise. I always fill myself and make sure that I slow down the flow when nearly full. I can usually get $8.00 to $10.00 in after the nozzle clicks off the first time. Its a common problem with a lot of new cars.

Ed

• Official Dodge Support

All,

The TSB that was pending on this issue has been pulled for a reason I am not aware of at this time, perhaps it failed in the final testing phase. Whatever the reason, I will post up when any new information on this issue becomes available. Sorry for delay.

Of course. We are destined to never have a fix for this. I am convinced the only way this will be properly fixed is to fix or re-design the fuel filler neck and I just don't see Chrysler being willing to do that for vehicles already built.