Getting a trailer hitch and wiring installed on my new Journey next week

Jay Sixspeedrt

Hello, all. I'm new to your forum. I bought a new 2012 Dodge Journey SXT AWD ten days ago - my second new Dodge - I also own a 2010 Challenger R/T. This is a terrific vehicle, and I'm very happy with it.

My new Journey did not come, unfortunately, with the factory towing prep. But I have a 5 x 10 landscaping trailer and a 17' aluminum outboard boat as trailers to tow, so getting my hitch and wiring installed by a trailer-sales store this coming Tuesday.

A few questions -and I did browse and search the towing forum first before asking them -

The trailer store's catalog's only had the 2011 Journey and she asked me if I was aware of any changes from 2011 to 2012. I said I don't know - wasn't aware of any. Is this correct?

Do you think the trailer store will have any issues hooking up wiring? I've read here about dealers having issues with the wiring - but I think those are a result of trying to use the plug-in harness which must be enabled in the vehicle computer. I'm assuming they'll use a modulite type control with a dedicated power source to splice into the wiring, so I'm hopeful it will bypass that difficulty.

Do the SXTs come with the trailer sway control as part of the electronic stability control? Didn't show a trailer sway control as part of my features on the window sticker. Or did I have to get a 'tow prep package' to get that?

What will I want to have my dealer add to the Journey? Oil cooler? Transmission cooler? or both?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Official Dodge Support
Hello, all. I'm new to your forum. I bought a new 2012 Dodge Journey SXT AWD ten days ago - my second new Dodge - I also own a 2010 Challenger R/T. This is a terrific vehicle, and I'm very happy with it. My new Journey did not come, unfortunately, with the factory towing prep. But I have a 5 x 10 landscaping trailer and a 17' aluminum outboard boat as trailers to tow, so getting my hitch and wiring installed by a trailer-sales store this coming Tuesday. A few questions -and I did browse and search the towing forum first before asking them - The trailer store's catalog's only had the 2011 Journey and she asked me if I was aware of any changes from 2011 to 2012. I said I don't know - wasn't aware of any. Is this correct? Do you think the trailer store will have any issues hooking up wiring? I've read here about dealers having issues with the wiring - but I think those are a result of trying to use the plug-in harness which must be enabled in the vehicle computer. I'm assuming they'll use a modulite type control with a dedicated power source to splice into the wiring, so I'm hopeful it will bypass that difficulty. Do the SXTs come with the trailer sway control as part of the electronic stability control? Didn't show a trailer sway control as part of my features on the window sticker. Or did I have to get a 'tow prep package' to get that? What will I want to have my dealer add to the Journey? Oil cooler? Transmission cooler? or both? Thanks in advance for your help.

Jay,

Trailer Sway Damping is sales code BNT and included on the 2012 Journey models as standard equipment. I cannot comment as to if the trailer store you speak of will have problems hooking up your wiring as that question can only be answered by them. The question of what you want your dealer to add, I can only say that is up to your preference, but if you had purchased the trailer tow prep group from Dodge it would have included an engine oil cooler.

If you want to know all the specifics our your particular vehicle you can PM me your VIN and I will send you a build sheet with all options on the vehicle and the sales codes of each option. Congrats on your new Journey purchase!!!

Edited by DodgeCares

• 1 year later...