For a while I thought it was just in my head, but when I press the horn, there is a considerable delay before it sounds. Dealer said it was normal, but it is a considerable delay that could be an issue in an emergency (i.e., someone pulling out in front of me or changing lanes into me). I'm not convinced it is 'normal'. :soapbox:

Anyone else run into this? Anyone know how to fix it?

• 1 year later...

The horn relay delay is REALLY annoying - it is hard to just give a 'quick toot' because of it - I suspect that they did it to save a wire in the clockspring, though my old LHS that the kids drive just had the clockspring fail and lost all of the functions (and the airbag too), suggesting that they multiplexed horn signals back in 2000 - and that has no delays.

In any case, it would be nice to have more direct control of the horn.

• Official Dodge Support

Good Morning all,

Yes the delay is normal - My 2010 Journey and my Ram have the delay.

Being a farm boy, I'm always on the horn with the neighbours and I agree, it would be nice to be able to say "hi" to your neighbour without them thinking you're mad a them!

It is the design and is like that in a all newer model years.

Good Morning all,

Yes the delay is normal - My 2010 Journey and my Ram have the delay.

Being a farm boy, I'm always on the horn with the neighbours and I agree, it would be nice to be able to say "hi" to your neighbour without them thinking you're mad a them!

It is the design and is like that in a all newer model years.

Yes sir, we live out in the "country" and that, indeed, is the "wave" (a quick toot on the horn). A bit annoying that by the time it actually toots you are past the friend you are "waving" at...

• 1 year later...

I have a 2014 Journey SXT. I believe the horn delay and function is a real saftey issue.

In my case I have 4 problems

1 - Horn does not work until 3-4 presses (if you tap the horn)
2 - Horn is delayed after button press (may be up to 1/2 second)
3 - Can not create a honk less than about 1 second in duration.
4 - If you hold the horn button for a longer time it will work.

I have talked to both the dealer and Dodge Customer dervice. I even asked the dealer to wire the horn button direftly to the horn relay, but they will not do that.

I really feel this is a saftey concern as there is really no way to just 'tap' the horn. You can only honk for a least a complete second, which makes people think you are a real jerk, when you'd just like to get their attentuion, and in emergencies, it sometimes does not honk at all.

• Official Dodge Support

D

I have a 2014 Journey SXT. I believe the horn delay and function is a real saftey issue.

In my case I have 4 problems

1 - Horn does not work until 3-4 presses (if you tap the horn)
2 - Horn is delayed after button press (may be up to 1/2 second)
3 - Can not create a honk less than about 1 second in duration.
4 - If you hold the horn button for a longer time it will work.

I have talked to both the dealer and Dodge Customer dervice. I even asked the dealer to wire the horn button direftly to the horn relay, but they will not do that.

I really feel this is a saftey concern as there is really no way to just 'tap' the horn. You can only honk for a least a complete second, which makes people think you are a real jerk, when you'd just like to get their attentuion, and in emergencies, it sometimes does not honk at all.

Did the dealer verify any issues with the operation of the horn?

I dont really use my horn enough to makenit a big deal. Here in pg a horn honk will net you nothing except maybe a finger.

Haha....same here. Seriously, the things people find to gripe about..... :hysterical:

Edited by jkeaton

I remembered this post the other day and honked my horn a few times heading down a desolate country road to check it out... I didn't notice a delay on mine at all. I did notice that it was more responsive if I pushed it towards the bottom rather than in the middle or top (dunno why... maybe it is hinged at the top). Is it possible that you are pushing in on it toward the top and that you are having to push it in farther to get it to honk, hence the "delay"? Try pushing on the bottom of it once and see if it is any different.

• 2 years later...