Check engine light

ChrisPollard

This morning my check engine light came on. I shut everything down, checked under the hood, everything looked fine. Started it back up, no weird noises, no smoke, no roughness or change in performance/response. Dealership isn't open today to check anyway, so I'm driving 'til Monday regardless. Came on every time as I did shopping today and whatnot. This afternoon, it went out.

I had something like this happen once on my 03 Sebring (something weird like left exhaust was lean), and there was a sequence to get the OBD codes off the odometer. Anybody know if there's a way to get them on the Journey? Or is this a take it to the shop situation? I'd like to be able to find the error code and at least have an idea what happened. I'll probably take it in next week anyway, just in case it is something that could turn into a warranty claim down the road ... but it would ease my mind for the rest of the weekend to know what it was.

I kind of expected a check engine light to come with some kind of message in the EVIC ... but apparently not. Seems to me the logical place for it, no?

This morning my check engine light came on. I shut everything down, checked under the hood, everything looked fine. Started it back up, no weird noises, no smoke, no roughness or change in performance/response. Dealership isn't open today to check anyway, so I'm driving 'til Monday regardless. Came on every time as I did shopping today and whatnot. This afternoon, it went out.

I had something like this happen once on my 03 Sebring (something weird like left exhaust was lean), and there was a sequence to get the OBD codes off the odometer. Anybody know if there's a way to get them on the Journey? Or is this a take it to the shop situation? I'd like to be able to find the error code and at least have an idea what happened. I'll probably take it in next week anyway, just in case it is something that could turn into a warranty claim down the road ... but it would ease my mind for the rest of the weekend to know what it was.

I kind of expected a check engine light to come with some kind of message in the EVIC ... but apparently not. Seems to me the logical place for it, no?

if a code registered it would be under messages on the evic. you could take it to a auto parts store like auto zone or advance auto they could check it with their meter they use to do it for free.

It lit up again this afternoon - still 0 messages in the EVIC. Going to take it to the dealership tomorrow to get it checked. Wouldn't be the gas cap, unless they magically come loose on their own. I last filled up last Monday - so 5 days to register it loose seems odd. And I always give it at least 5 clicks when I put it back on.

It lit up again this afternoon - still 0 messages in the EVIC. Going to take it to the dealership tomorrow to get it checked. Wouldn't be the gas cap, unless they magically come loose on their own. I last filled up last Monday - so 5 days to register it loose seems odd. And I always give it at least 5 clicks when I put it back on.

Chris, My starter would make a funny noise when starting every once in a while and light would come on for a couple days. Dealer said it didn't leave a code. Had RRT 11-069 applied for long crank time. Hasn't happened since. Hope it isn't something too serious.

Well, I'll find out soon enough. Whatever it is, it's all under warranty. I've always said with new vehicles it's best to get all the breakage and problems done early ... so you don't suffer from "6 days after the warranty is up" syndrome like our big, expensive printer/copier/fax/scanner at work! LOL (Seriously, last week, SIX days past the day it was activated, the SECOND one of these things developed problems. Gooooooooo Xerox! Not.)

This morning my check engine light came on.
A couple of weeks ago this happened to me, my dealer told me that when I washed my car the day before that moisture probably got in to one of my sensors and froze. Sure enough once it warmed up a little it went off.

Hope this helps......

Terry

Edited by Windancer

• 1 month later...

My check engine light came on this week ,went to part store for free mil light check . P0017 cam shaft position sensor. now my piece of shit journey shifts erratically. downshifts at high rpms when im trying to accelerate . all 4 calipers seized up before 48k on it. starts when it feels like it, pass side window motor shit the bed a year ago. im sick of this car and when i have the $ its going bye bye for a ford mustang ! dodge =never again!

My check engine light came on this week ,went to part store for free mil light check . P0017 cam shaft position sensor. now my piece of shit journey shifts erratically. downshifts at high rpms when im trying to accelerate . all 4 calipers seized up before 48k on it. starts when it feels like it, pass side window motor shit the bed a year ago. im sick of this car and when i have the $ its going bye bye for a ford mustang ! dodge =never again!

Don't post just to be a hater. It doesn't seem like you want any help with your journey. Please go bye bye. Go post on the mustang forum. Haters bore me to sleep. :boring:

Peace.

Don't post just to be a hater. It doesn't seem like you want any help with your journey. Please go bye bye. Go post on the mustang forum. Haters bore me to sleep. :boring:

Peace.

Just because I'm eventually trading it in for a BETTER quality vehicle doesn't mean I don't need help on my current cars MANY issues. Please read other posts i have submitter before judging. You make yourself look like a true TOOL. I was frustrated and pissed off about my cars new found problem when I posted that last one, and Guess what ? I had all rights to when I was looking for help with diagnosing the problem. Soooo unless you are going to help ... oh no thats right . peoples problems bore you to death. Well have you croaked YET? :)

Kristina, what do you expect people to say when your posts are just complete bitching about the Journey and how you'll never have another Chrysler product, blah blah blah.

Posting the way you did is not going to make people want to help you. All it appeared that you wanted to do was bitch about how much you hate the Journey and Chrysler. Didn't seem to me that you were looking for any help either.

We don't need your kind of negativity here. Good luck with whatever you buy next.

• 2 weeks later...

On my way into work this morning my 2011 Journey had the check engine light come on. We pulled off the highway, stopped for 10mins and started it back up again, light is still on. Going into my dealership tonight to have it looked at. I was just there on the weekend for an Oil change..

oh sorry i forgot to post back! :)

So it turns out, this is the Journeys way of saying it has a problem with the firmware, go figure LOL. I told the service manager, that is a pretty dumb way to warn people, as in my case, i thought there was something really wrong and had to go back home to get our other car. He told me that if it starts flashing to be worried, but if it just comes on solid its normaly ok.... Anyways, they flashed the firmware and the error went away (as well as my presets for my

Satellite radio) :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

is it normal for the Check Engine Light or the MIL lit before you start your car? in the Push start button, i just put it in RUN position (engine not yet started) and the MIL or Check Engine Light is ON or lit. But when I start the car it goes out.

Please advise.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

is it normal for the Check Engine Light or the MIL lit before you start your car? in the Push start button, i just put it in RUN position (engine not yet started) and the MIL or Check Engine Light is ON or lit. But when I start the car it goes out.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Mine does this as well., Since the day I bought it. Have you figured out if it is normal yet ? I would also like to know. Thanks!

Kristina, what do you expect people to say when your posts are just complete bitching about the Journey and how you'll never have another Chrysler product, blah blah blah.

Posting the way you did is not going to make people want to help you. All it appeared that you wanted to do was bitch about how much you hate the Journey and Chrysler. Didn't seem to me that you were looking for any help either.

We don't need your kind of negativity here. Good luck with whatever you buy next.

If you haven't noticed. I am CLEARLY NOT the only bitcher and complainer on this forum. Im pissed because I dumped all of my hard earned money into a new car to AVOID the problems and now I have nothing but MORE problems and have that right to complain . I guess you get to either read my whiny posts or skip over then. Doesnt hurt me one bit buddy. have a lovely day....;P

• Official Dodge Support

Hi,

Please advise.

Thanks.

Heero,

If the light does not come on when first put in the run position then it needs to be checked. Of course a few seconds after starting the light should go out. See below for the owners manual explanation.

The Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) is part of

an onboard diagnostic system, called OBD, that

monitors engine and automatic transmission control

systems. The light will illuminate when the key is in

the ON/RUN position, before engine start. If the bulb

does not come on when turning the key from OFF to

ON/RUN, have the condition checked promptly.

Certain conditions, such as a loose or missing gas cap,

poor fuel quality, etc., may illuminate the MIL after

engine start. The vehicle should be serviced if the light

stays on through several of your typical driving cycles. In

most situations, the vehicle will drive normally and will

not require towing.

Edited by DodgeCares

• 6 months later...

Mine came on last week. Autozone checked it out and it turned out to be the knock sensor. It's either a faulty sensor or the wireing. I don't here a knock in the engine. Does anyone know where to find this thing and how to replace it. The part is 78 dollors at a/z and like 118 at the dealer,(plus labor that is 400 dollors or more). Not getting any help from Dodge or Autozone, and there are no books or manuals out for the Journey yet. I am haveing trouble finding info on the web as well.

• Official Dodge Support

kasper,

Not knowing the age or KMS of your Journey, my only suggestion is to get it in to the dealer just to be sure that is the right repair and go from there.

It’s not too often I hear of a Knock Sensor issue but if it really is that, you need to keep in mind that you have to pull the upper intake manifold to get to the sensor which a lot bigger of a job than you'd expect.

Hi,

Please advise.

Thanks.

Something is SERIOUSLY wrong. It's off. Lol.

Yes, it's normal. In the ON position, the BCM thinks the car is fully on, but sees the engine is off. All cars do that.

Think of the days pre-push button. You would turn the key to start, then it would spring back to ON.