Tow Prep-Package!!

caperinmuskoka

Well if you told me You had a brand new ride and the window sticker includes "Tow -Prep package"(275.00)

I would not even need to guess that a hitch is in there somewhere?

Maybe at Ford and GM but not Dodge.

Dealer tacked on a extra $475.00 on my invoice (Canadian) for the hitch which was not in when I picked up the Journey R/T on Sat.

Even better now in 2012 rated for 2500 lbs. down from 2011 at 3500 lbs.

V-6 with 283 H.P .......Is Dodge worried about something we don't know about?

My Pontiac GTP 3.8 With super -charger is only at 240 H.P.

What are they doing to these V-6 engine to pump them H.P numbers out?

Will it cut a few years off the life at the end?...Who knows Journey's been here only since 2009

Makes you wounder about the new Ford Eco-boost also..V-6 with towing rated a 11,300 lbs (close I think)

Come on what gives.......Caper..........

Edited by caperinmuskoka

The trailer tow prep package has never included the hitch. It is literally just the 4 pin wiring harness and an engine oil cooler. That's why it is only $275.

Many people have been wondering why the 2012's are only rated to tow 2500 lbs when the 2009 - 2011's could do 3500 lbs when properly equipped. Nobody has been able to get an answer yet.

I don't think it has anything to do with the engine. The 3.5L V6 in the 2009/2010 had 235 hp and the towing was rated at 3500 lbs. The 3.6L in 2011/2012 models is a much stronger engine at 283 hp/260 lb ft torque and presumably there haven't been any major structural changes to the Journey since it's debut in 2009.

Presently this is an unsolved mystery!

• 1 month later...

The new engine needs more cooling due to the integrated exhuast manifolds. To get the higher towing capacity you would need a bigger radiator which is not possible with the current vehicle design. Remember they need to sell this vehicle to customers that tow through the desert and mountains which will be an issue if you cannot keep the engine cool.

The new engine needs more cooling due to the integrated exhuast manifolds. To get the higher towing capacity you would need a bigger radiator which is not possible with the current vehicle design. Remember they need to sell this vehicle to customers that tow through the desert and mountains which will be an issue if you cannot keep the engine cool.

But it's the same engine that was used in the 2011, which has a 3500 lb. towing capacity.

The tow prep is mostly about the oil cooler - which is best added at the factory and definitely something you want as part of your powertrain warranty as opposed to just getting it put on by a dealer which gets you 1-year only.

I like the fact the hitch is seperate. I put the tow prep in when I ordered my R/T but as yet have not had a need to use and therefore not buy a hitch. 'There if and when I need it'. Furthermore I added tow prep because I bought my R/T for performance both street and freeway and an oil cooler is definitely something you want added for that.

2011 tow capacity is only 2,500 lbs. I don't think it had EVER been 3,500. The old 3.5 had significantly less horsepower and also less torque - can't imagine they rated the 09s or 10s at 3,500. There's ALOT of confusion about tow capacity because the hitch ITSELF is rated at 3,500. It doesn't imply you can tow that much, but true enought that is somewhat misleading.

Edited by Geer

2011 tow capacity is only 2,500 lbs. I don't think it had EVER been 3,500. The old 3.5 had significantly less horsepower and also less torque - can't imagine they rated the 09s or 10s at 3,500. There's ALOT of confusion about tow capacity because the hitch ITSELF is rated at 3,500. It doesn't imply you can tow that much, but true enought that is somewhat misleading.

There's a chart in the 2011 owner's manual. With one or two passengers and the tow prep group, the V6 2011 Journey has a towing capacity of 3500 lbs. I believe the 2009 and 2010 were the same even tough the V6 had less horsepower in those models.

This has been debated in several threads here, but the documentation is clear. The 2011 towing capacity (with V6 and tow prep) is 3500 lbs. The 2012 towing capacity (with V6 and tow prep) is 2500 lbs. The chart is on page 458 of the 2012 owner's manual and page 408 of the 2011 owner's manual. Nobody knows why Chrysler changed the documentation since the drive train didn't change.

There's a chart in the 2011 owner's manual. With one or two passengers and the tow prep group, the V6 2011 Journey has a towing capacity of 3500 lbs. I believe the 2009 and 2010 were the same even tough the V6 had less horsepower in those models.

This has been debated in several threads here, but the documentation is clear. The 2011 towing capacity (with V6 and tow prep) is 3500 lbs. The 2012 towing capacity (with V6 and tow prep) is 2500 lbs. The chart is on page 458 of the 2012 owner's manual and page 408 of the 2011 owner's manual. Nobody knows why Chrysler changed the documentation since the drive train didn't change.

Sorry but this is wrong. My owner's manual says max 2500 lbs. I own a 2011. Furthermore check out out Dodge Towing Guide for 2011.

http://www.dodge.com/en/towing_payload/2011/

2500 lbs max for the 3.6

Chrysler changed the documentation to correct the typo in owner's manuals (some apparently, because mine does say 2,500 lbs and in fact derates that for AWD). They didn't change the vehicle or the mechanicals - so there's no engineering reason to reduces the towing capacity.

I'm just stating what it says in the 2011 owner's manual that Dodge makes available online. Does your printed manual not have this chart? Does it have the same chart that's in the 2012? It's a whole chart, so if they changed it mid-year it was for more than just a typo.

2011dodgejourneytrailer.jpg

Edited by generaltso

The tow prep is mostly about the oil cooler - which is best added at the factory and definitely something you want as part of your powertrain warranty as opposed to just getting it put on by a dealer which gets you 1-year only.

I like the fact the hitch is seperate. I put the tow prep in when I ordered my R/T but as yet have not had a need to use and therefore not buy a hitch. 'There if and when I need it'. Furthermore I added tow prep because I bought my R/T for performance both street and freeway and an oil cooler is definitely something you want added for that.

I just received the build sheet for my 2011 DJ (shout out to DodgeCares!), and, although it did not come with the trailer tow prep group, the build sheet shows "NHAP Engine Oil Cooler". I'm curious if this is, in fact, the same engine oil cooler that would have come with the trailer tow prep group. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!

• Official Dodge Support

I just received the build sheet for my 2011 DJ (shout out to DodgeCares!), and, although it did not come with the trailer tow prep group, the build sheet shows "NHAP Engine Oil Cooler". I'm curious if this is, in fact, the same engine oil cooler that would have come with the trailer tow prep group. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!

Rebus,

The engine oil cooler, sales code NHA, is the same as whats included in the trailer tow prep group and is standard on certain models of the Journey.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK so I installed a hidden hitch kit and trailer brake lights to my FWD 2010 Journey just now....

I have a electronic brake controller box I will get installed this week.

Do I really need the Tow Prep Package if I am just pulling a 2,000 lbs (loaded) pop-up?

I already installed after market brake pads and disks to get ride of the stock junk.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember, the manual also recommends the first oil change at 13,000 KM's - NOT.

My dealer told me that too, but didn't recommend it. He did recommend me coming back at 3000KM for my first Oil change.

I won't be though, as little work I can get done somewhere else other than the dealer the better. I'll most likely just pick up the oil and filter and take it to my regular mechanic so I can have record of a licensed professional doing the change as I was told by the dealer that doing it myself would void the warranty.

• 6 months later...
  • Official Dodge Support
I would also like the build sheet of my Journey as I am also looking into the oil cooler but I tried to PM Dodge cares my vin number but it would not let me since I do not have 30 posts.

John,

Send an email to Dodgecares@gmail.com and I will send you one. Include your vin and state you want a build sheet.

So is there an answer to the towing debate... I have a 2010 and with 1 to 2 passengers the rating is 3500 for the 3.5 motor. That number decreases as the number of occupants increases to a max of 7 passengers and 2500lbs capacity. The 2013 is rated with 1 to 2 passengers at 2500LBS and thought that dodge underrated it as they must have found some problems over the years and that number needed to be adjusted. Personally I have a popup trailer with a dry weight of 2800LBS and have never had a prob towing it with 5 passengers but we do have the trailer brake controller that takes the stress off the tow vehicles. We live in canada so extreme temperatures that exist from over heating have never been an issue for me and yes we had the tow prep package installed. we are currently upgrading from a 2010 FWD to a 2013 AWD and were a little concerned at first but im sure we will be fine...