Transmission Problem

FredSewell

2010 Journey SXT-3.6-45K miles

If you only use 1/4 to 1/2 throttle it shifts fine. A little hard but it will shift. However, if you give it 3/4 to full throttle while taking off from a stop, it will redline and won't shift. If you let off the throttle a bit and get it to shift, then get back in it fullly, it won't shift again. Could this be caused by the solenoid pack on the bottom of the transmission or? Any help will be much appreciated.

Fredneck

It certainly could be the solenoid pack,sounds as if the higher pressure

is not actuating the system.

45k miles -2010 powertrain should still be under warranty and possibly

all it needs is a flush/filter to clear debris from pressure points.

I would definitely do a dealer visit on this problem.

It certainly could be the solenoid pack,sounds as if the higher pressure

is not actuating the system.

45k miles -2010 powertrain should still be under warranty and possibly

all it needs is a flush/filter to clear debris from pressure points.

I would definitely do a dealer visit on this problem.

Thanks Bigtsr. I took it to the dealer and they said they've never seen anything like this before. After a few days of talking with Chrysler they've decided it's the fuel pump. Hmmm...Paid my $100 for them to check it out and picked up my Journey. I always thought that a fuel pump either worked or it didn't. I believe their has to be a restriction somewhere if this is the case. Headed home now to drop the fuel tank and pull out the pump. No extended warranty. So, gonna do it myself.

What kind of warranty do you have that they aren't covering that 100% under powertrain??? You're getting ripped off somewhere in this. Especially since the fuel pump has absolutely NOTHING to do with transmission shifting!! Whatever you do ... see a DIFFERENT dealership first!! wow. Just freakin' wow.

Believe it or not! It was the fuel pump. I brought the Journey back home and dropped the tank, removed the fuel pump and took it apart. There was a paper filter on the bottom of the pump itself and it was totally clogged with all kinda' junk! I I removed the filter from the pump and let it soak in my parts washer for a 1/2hr and then lightly scrub it with a toothbrush. I used the sprayer on my parts washer to flush out the filter. I found a secondary filter inside the housing that the pump slides into. I kept pouring Sea Foam in to the bottom of this housing and sloshing it around for about 30 minutes. You wouldn't believe the amount of small metallic particles that came out of the filter! I put the complete assembly back together and re-installed. When I removed the fuel pump I broke the piece that holds the plastic fuel line to the metal fuel line. I picked up one for a Ford 5/16" and filed it a bit to fit. I reconnected the line and snapped this piece in to hold the line securely. Installed the tank. Filled with 5gallons of gas and a bottle of Gumout Complete Fuel System Cleaner, Cranked it up and it hauls ass now! Thank god! I saved myself $600 bucks. Still can't believe this was causing the Transmission not to shift.

Edited by FredSewell

I can see how Chrysler would see that as a maintenance issue - I wonder whether the junk was from manufacturing or was picked up during fueling (aren't there filters on gas station pumps)?

Too bad they don't have in line filters ahead of the assembly - why do I think that a dealer would sell a new fuel pump rather than clean those filters if they encountered the problem (then again, I suppose that f they did, then you could expect to claim it under warranty)?

This symptom/solution is one to keep in mind.

I can see how Chrysler would see that as a maintenance issue - I wonder whether the junk was from manufacturing or was picked up during fueling (aren't there filters on gas station pumps)?

Too bad they don't have in line filters ahead of the assembly - why do I think that a dealer would sell a new fuel pump rather than clean those filters if they encountered the problem (then again, I suppose that f they did, then you could expect to claim it under warranty)?

This symptom/solution is one to keep in mind.

Definitely! My theory was...a Fuel pump either works or not. If it's intermittent, it had to be a flow issue.

• 2 years later...

my 2009 journey has been down for going on 2 weeks now first the water pump and was told by the dealer the part will not be available until January/february 2014..Dealer will not give a rental nor will Chrysler itself...Will have an 'after market' put until mine arrives as this rental car is to expensive...Secondly after the water pump, timing belt etc was installed now a solenoid code is making the car difficult to shift any one have this experience?

my 2009 journey has been down for going on 2 weeks now first the water pump and was told by the dealer the part will not be available until January/february 2014..Dealer will not give a rental nor will Chrysler itself...Will have an 'after market' put until mine arrives as this rental car is to expensive...Secondly after the water pump, timing belt etc was installed now a solenoid code is making the car difficult to shift any one have this experience?

Nothing wrong with aftermarket waterpumps.

Who installed the timing belt?

What is the code?

What do you mean by "difficult to shift"?

• 7 months later...

I have a mainstreet with the 3.6 engine and have transmission problem its downshift hard sometimes up too. I don't know what to do I only have left 1 month factory warranty. is it worth it to see a dealer? I found out the previous owner took it back many times whit different kind of problems however nothing was fixed just checked. I know dealers are very tricky they try to squeeze out all your money I just want to know if they will charge me for the diagnostic? Thank you!

Only the dealer could answer this questions, but every dealer I've ever used charges a diagnostic fee to check the vehicle... If a repair is necessary then it may be waived.

That has been my experience and that's only fair. The dealers have a business to run and need to pay the techs to do the work and I wouldn't work for nothing either.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2013 Journey 2.4 4 Cycle 10,000 Miles

I have had my Dodge journey in the shop 5 times for Shifting hard and Cutting out when accelerating going up hills and had the Tramission pulled 3 times and Software updates done and now I am being told that the way the 2.4 Engine are engieered to drive to save on fuel. I currently in the battle with Chrysler for Trade assitance or Buy Back. Has anyone every had to deal with this and if so how longs does it take? I have scared to death for the safety of my family. I have had the vechile fall on it face twice while pulling out.

I have had my Dodge journey in the shop 5 times for Shifting hard and Cutting out when accelerating going up hills and had the Tramission pulled 3 times and Software updates done and now I am being told that the way the 2.4 Engine are engieered to drive to save on fuel. I currently in the battle with Chrysler for Trade assitance or Buy Back. Has anyone every had to deal with this and if so how longs does it take? I have scared to death for the safety of my family. I have had the vechile fall on it face twice while pulling out.

I'd be finding another dealer.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had my Dodge journey in the shop 5 times for Shifting hard and Cutting out when accelerating going up hills [/size]and had the Tramission pulled 3 times and Software updates done and now I am being told that the way the 2.4 Engine are engieered to drive to save on fuel. I currently in the battle with Chrysler for Trade assitance or Buy Back. Has anyone every had to deal with this and if so how longs does it take? I have scared to death for the safety of my family. I have had the vechile fall on it face twice while pulling out.

I have a 2014 with the same problem. In the dealer for the third time for the trans. It has been rebuilt once already. If I were you I would go through the lemon law with yours. If it is in the shop more than 3 time or 30 days for the same problem it is covered under the lemon law

I have a 2014 with the same problem. In the dealer for the third time for the trans. It has been rebuilt once already. If I were you I would go through the lemon law with yours. If it is in the shop more than 3 time or 30 days for the same problem it is covered under the lemon law

i have a 2011 2.4 with a similar problem ...gets to 2 or 3rd gear sometimes and doesn't want to shift up

this is a 3rd week its been the shop...they have replaced the solenoid pack, the TIMP, the PCM, did all the updates and transmission fluid change...they still cant figure out whats wrong with it...the dealer finally gave me a loaner car after 2 weeks without a car...We have sent a complaint to dodge.com with no response...Some parts were covered under the power train warranty and i have paid over $700 with still no results. I hate the thought of my wife and child being stuck on the road in a POS 3 year old Journey...I have lost faith in the reliability of dodge.

This is the 6th time its had to go to the dealer...other times involved the interior touch screen always shutting off.

i have a 2011 2.4 with a similar problem ...gets to 2 or 3rd gear sometimes and doesn't want to shift up

this is a 3rd week its been the shop...they have replaced the solenoid pack, the TIMP, the PCM, did all the updates and transmission fluid change...they still cant figure out whats wrong with it...the dealer finally gave me a loaner car after 2 weeks without a car...We have sent a complaint to dodge.com with no response...Some parts were covered under the power train warranty and i have paid over $700 with still no results. I hate the thought of my wife and child being stuck on the road in a POS 3 year old Journey...I have lost faith in the reliability of dodge.

This is the 6th time its had to go to the dealer...other times involved the interior touch screen always shutting off.

I would sell it immediately and never buy another Dodge. I know for a fact that other manufacturers don't have issues with their vehicles and I wouldn't put up with that crap from Dodge. It's almost like they picked you out from a crowd and decided to screw you over for fun. Personally, I would suggest an import as they are better than American vehicles because they are built by Asians and Europeans.

• 2 months later...

I would sell it immediately and never buy another Dodge. I know for a fact that other manufacturers don't have issues with their vehicles and I wouldn't put up with that crap from Dodge. It's almost like they picked you out from a crowd and decided to screw you over for fun. Personally, I would suggest an import as they are better than American vehicles because they are built by Asians and Europeans.

I am to that point...My POS journey is back at the dealership again for the same problem!...5th time NOW at the shop

they have replaced the TIPM and PCM twice