What is so good about the R/T?

It costs $1K more than 2012 Crew and all it adds are:

■Includes Everything on Crew, Plus:

■19-Inch Satin Carbon Painted Wheels

■Performance Suspension

■Automatic Headlamps (included as standard on Crew)

■Body Color Grille

■Body Color Door Handles

■Premium door trim panels (included part of leather package on Crew)

However the crew already comes with automatic headlamps.

So other than the Performance Suspension, everything else is cosmetic. Is it worth the $1K extra really?

Edit: On the other hand, on Dodge.com website it does not let you add the Rear Video, Navigation group with the Crew but it is available for the S/T.

However I was able to order these features for my Crew through my dealer.

Edited by Estoyloco

Don't rely on the Dodge website to detail what's included in the different trims and packages. The R/T wasn't even listed as an available trim for 2012 until today. I believe the biggest component of the R/T upcharge is the standard leather seats. That's a $500 option on the Crew. The R/T also doesn't come with the roof rails anymore. Those have to be added as an option even though they're standard on the Crew.

Don't rely on the Dodge website to detail what's included in the different trims and packages. The R/T wasn't even listed as an available trim for 2012 until today. I believe the biggest component of the R/T upcharge is the standard leather seats. That's a $500 option on the Crew. The R/T also doesn't come with the roof rails anymore. Those have to be added as an option even though they're standard on the Crew.

Edit:

This is what I get through my dealer:

TRIM: FWD 4dr R/T

FLEXIBLE SEATING GROUP, -inc: 2nd row 40/60 tilt & slide bench seat, 3rd row 50/50 fold/reclining bench seat, auto temp control w/3 zone control, easy entry system seat, GVW/payload rating, rear air cond w/heater

TRAILER TOW PREP GROUP, -inc: engine oil cooler, trailer tow w/4-pin connector wiring

NAVIGATION & SOUND GROUP I, -inc: UConnect touch 8.4, Garmin navigation system, SIRIUS travel link w/1-year travel link service, 1-year real-time traffic service, ParkView rear backup camera, universal garage door opener

REAR SEAT VIDEO GROUP I, -inc: 2nd row overhead 9" video screen, (6) premium speakers w/subwoofer, video remote control, wireless headphones

2ND ROW SEAT W/(2) CHILD BOOSTERS

BLACK/RED, LEATHER-TRIMMED BUCKET SEATS

Trim: FWD 4dr R/T

MSRP: $29,995.00

Destination & Delivery: $800.00

Options: $3,155.00

Total: $33,950.00

TRIM: FWD 4dr Crew

FLEXIBLE SEATING GROUP, -inc: 2nd row 40/60 tilt & slide bench seat, 3rd row 50/50 fold/reclining bench seat, auto temp control w/3 zone control, easy entry system seat, GVW/payload rating, rear air cond w/heater

TRAILER TOW PREP GROUP, -inc: engine oil cooler, trailer tow w/4-pin connector wiring

NAVIGATION & SOUND GROUP I, -inc: UConnect touch 8.4, Garmin navigation system, SIRIUS travel link w/1-year travel link service, 1-year real-time traffic service, ParkView rear backup camera, universal garage door opener

REAR SEAT VIDEO GROUP I, -inc: 2nd row overhead 9" video screen, (6) premium speakers w/subwoofer, video remote control, wireless headphones

HEATED FRONT SEATS

2ND ROW SEAT W/(2) CHILD BOOSTERS

BLACK/PEARL, LEATHER-TRIMMED FRONT BUCKET SEATS, -inc: heated front seats

Trim: FWD 4dr Crew

MSRP: $28,495.00

Destination & Delivery: $800.00

Options: $3,655.00

Total: $32,950.00

Basically price difference is $1K.

Edited by Estoyloco

It costs $1K more than 2012 Crew and all it adds are:

■Includes Everything on Crew, Plus:

■19-Inch Satin Carbon Painted Wheels

■Performance Suspension

■Automatic Headlamps

■Body Color Grille

■Body Color Door Handles

■Premium door trim panels

However the crew already comes with automatic headlamps.

So other than the Performance Suspension, everything else is cosmetic. Is it worth the $1K extra really?

Edit: On the other hand, on Dodge.com website it does not let you add the Rear Video, Navigation group with the Crew but it is available for the S/T.

However I was able to order these features for my Crew through my dealer.

I see Dodge finally came back to their senses and has put R/T back at the top trim level for the US market Journey. This is in keeping with a 45-year heritage of the R/T being the top trim level for a Dodge car. Why they did what they did for 2011 did not make any sense.

I see Dodge finally came back to their senses and has put R/T back at the top trim level for the US market Journey. This is in keeping with a 45-year heritage of the R/T being the top trim level for a Dodge car. Why they did what they did for 2011 did not make any sense.

They had the RT lined up a long time ago it was in their literature.... Just said late availability.

Here is breakdown between all the journey models...

http://www.media.chrysler.com/dcxms/assets/specs/2012_DG_Journey_FA.pdf

It looks like you are paying a $1k premium to have the R/T badge and minor cosmetic upgrades.

Unless ofcourse they start restricting options you can buy on the Crew as well. So all the high tech features are R/T option only.

Edited by Estoyloco

I have a couple questions concerning the premium door panels and performance suspension.

Now it may have changed for 2012 but after I bought my '11 Mainstreet I saw a '11 LUX and the door panels don't look any different (and the LUX was supposed to have premium door panels). Was there a change made for 2012?

On the suspension is there any information what the difference is between the Touring and Performance suspenion packages? Is there a lower ride height for the R/T or just different spring/strut rates? I understand there would be a difference between FWD and AWD suspension setups. AWD was optional last year in the US on all trim levels but the base Express. I would have liked to have AWD but there were none to be found within 200 miles (same for the R/T) at the time I purchased my Mainstreet.

In my opinion, the Dodge Journey is a COMPLETELY different automobile in the R/T trim... it really gives it a head turning sport / luxury appearance while retaining the flexibility / functionality that the Journey offers. To be honest, I wouldn't have bought the car in any other trim... it's just too plain / minivan-ish. With the monotone paint, 19" satin carbon finish wheels, no clunky roof rails, and black interior with contrasting red stitching, this thing looks like a MONSTER.

Here's a screen capture of the 2012 Dodge Journey R/T that I recently ordered as seen on the Dodge website using the "build my own" feature:

gallery_4619_100_30360.png

Edited by pantheman75

According to this, the Crew and R/T have the same Touring Suspension. I guess the "Performance" suspension is gone? Of course, it also says that Daytime Running Lights are not available on the Crew and R/T but are optional on the two lowest trims. That doesn't make much sense.

According to this, the Crew and R/T have the same Touring Suspension. I guess the "Performance" suspension is gone? Of course, it also says that Daytime Running Lights are not available on the Crew and R/T but are optional on the two lowest trims. That doesn't make much sense.

According to my "build my own" 2012 Dodge Journey R/T printout from the website, performance suspension is included with the R/T.

According to my "build my own" 2012 Dodge Journey R/T printout from the website, performance suspension is included with the R/T.

Yeah, but it says the same thing for the Crew. It's looking like the "Performance" suspension and "Touring" suspension are the same thing. Not to be confused with the "Normal-Duty" suspension that seems to only come with the 4-cylinder engine.

My '11 Mainstreet came with the Touring suspension. I upgraded my tire/wheel package to 18" with Nitto 850+ CUV. As for the monotone paint I would like to paint my grill assembly to match the blackberry pearl. As for the daytime running lights they are part of Popular Equipment GRP 28E for '11. And for the US you can chose to have them on or off.

Oops confused DRL for auto headlamps.

Edited by Estoyloco

They had the RT lined up a long time ago it was in their literature.... Just said late availability.

It looks like you are paying a $1k premium to have the R/T badge and minor cosmetic upgrades.

Unless ofcourse they start restricting options you can buy on the Crew as well. So all the high tech features are R/T option only.

Yes but in the 2011 model year, R/T was in the middle of the pecking order - Crew and Lux were above it. Except here in Canada where R/T was the top trim level and the only model available with AWD. In the USA, they have put it back at the top of the heap in 2012.

• 3 months later...