I'm curious as to the different incentives that people were offered, and if you had to choose between different incentives, which did you choose and why?

It looks like I'll have a choice between $1000 cash allowance and the $2.99 gas guarantee when mine comes in. I'll probably choose the gas card.

I'll have no trouble using the 1800 gallons of gas over the next 3 years, so neglecting carrying costs, the break-even gas price is $3.55. If the average price for the next three years exceeds $3.55 I win, if it falls below that, I'd have been better off with the $1000. Factoring in interest pushes the break-even gas price up to about $3.65. Still a good deal if prices stay up in the $3.90 range or higher. The way I see it, if gas prices fall, and I "lose" money because I took the gas card - that's a good problem to have. Much better than if I take the $1000, and gas prices go to $5 or $6 within the next three years.

Or to put it in other terms, the downside risk is limited to $1000, while the upside potential is pretty much unlimited.

I just hope I can take delivery before the offer expires.

I'm curious as to the different incentives that people were offered, and if you had to choose between different incentives, which did you choose and why?

It looks like I'll have a choice between $1000 cash allowance and the $2.99 gas guarantee when mine comes in. I'll probably choose the gas card.

I'll have no trouble using the 1800 gallons of gas over the next 3 years, so neglecting carrying costs, the break-even gas price is $3.55. If the average price for the next three years exceeds $3.55 I win, if it falls below that, I'd have been better off with the $1000. Factoring in interest pushes the break-even gas price up to about $3.65. Still a good deal if prices stay up in the $3.90 range or higher. The way I see it, if gas prices fall, and I "lose" money because I took the gas card - that's a good problem to have. Much better than if I take the $1000, and gas prices go to $5 or $6 within the next three years.

Or to put it in other terms, the downside risk is limited to $1000, while the upside potential is pretty much unlimited.

I just hope I can take delivery before the offer expires.

after the sudden death and subsequent scrapping of our trade in, we went with the $1000. I already had to come up with an unexpected $3000, I didn't want to add more to that. There is an excellent article on the Consumer reports web site that argues that the $1,000 rebate is almost always a better choice, when one considers depreciation.

We chose the gas card for the following reasons.

$4 / Gallon of Gas = $1800 total savings - $600 / yr = $50 / month

$5 / Gallon of Gas = $3600 total savings - $1200 / yr = 100 / month

I am sorry to say that I think gas will average $5 / Gallon over the 3 yr period. :banghead: I hope I'm wrong, but gas has gone up so rapidly lately and barring something spectacular I don't see it coming down any time soon, if ever. As far as the depreciating, it's not like you can write it off on your taxes. I figured that I would rather apply the monthly gas savings to my monthly car payment. From my understanding it doesn't matter how you use the gas, you are allotted 600 gallons / year, even if you don't keep the car for three years.

I'm right there with you guys. I can't wait to get mine in...hoping it is before the gas incentive runs out. I truly believe gas will be $5 next summer and higher after that. I think those who chose the $1,000 will be regreting it a year from now. I do understand the dilema of not havig the cash flow to do it, but in the long run, you are going to be better off with $2.99 gas.