Towing Questions for a Newbie (Journey 2012)

Estoyloco

Hi all.

In about 2 months I will be a proud owner of my first SUV ever.

I bought the Tow Prep Package part of my vehicle order. Reading these forums I come to realize that the Wiring is not installed.

I had a few questions especially geared towards 2012 model if anyone already has it.

1) Is the wiring 4 pin or 7 pin that comes with the Tow Prep package?

2) Is the Engine oil cooler already installed? And if so how can I make sure, I am not exactly sure what it will look like.

3) What is the maximum tow capacity of 2012 V6? From the manual http://www.dodge.com/download/pdf/manuals/2012-Journey-OM_R-3rd.pdf

It states the V6 is capable only of towing 2500lbs Pg 457.

What gives? From reading this forums and 2011 manual it was capable for 3,500lbs. Even Dodge's website only lists 2,500lbs for 2012.

Thanks in advance.

4 Pin Harness is what comes with it. 7 pin will be something you have to get added.

As for the towing capacity, that's odd. I believe in the 2011 manual, it has that same table, but there is a separate table if you have the trailer tow prep package which shows up to 3500 lbs... I'd ask your dealership, but I would think it would be 3500 lbs still, and the reason that I say that, is the trailer tow prep allows you to tow more than one without. The manual sounds like it is geared to the people that don't have the trailer tow prep package... But like i said, I'd check with your dealership first.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone, See below the response I got from Dodge. I emailed them explaining there was some confusion online about tow capacity.

It's unfortuante it's not 3500lbs. I'm having second thoughts on buying one now to replace my 4runner.

customerassistmkt customerassistmkt@chrysler.com

Nov 16 (6 days ago)

Dear Bill:

It is great to read of your interest in Dodge.

I would be more than happy to clarify some information on the towing

capabilities of a 2012 Dodge Journey and the availability of the trailer

tow prep group.

The current trailer tow prep group includes an engine cooler and a

trailer tow with a 4 pin connector wiring. This group is available for

factory order on the 2012 Dodge Journey Crew and 2012 Dodge Journey R/T.

You can find information on the towing capability of the 2012 Dodge

Journey in the owner's manual. You can download a PDF file of the 2012

Dodge Journey owner's manual by selecting "For Owners" in the top left

hand corner. Next select "owner's Manual," from the "My Vehicle"

section. From here you can select the model year and vehicle that you

would like the owner's manual for. I am also providing you with the

towing information below. Please keep in mind that all of this

information is for when the vehicle is properly equipped.

2.4L engine paired with an automatic transmission has the ability to tow

up to 1, 000 lbs including up to 5 passengers and luggage.

3.6L engine paired with an automatic transmission has the ability to tow

up to 1, 500 lbs including 5-7 passengers and luggage.

up to 2, 000 lbs including 3-4 passengers and luggage.

up to 2, 500 lbs including 1-2 passengers and luggage.

My best suggestion at this point would be to work with your preferred

Dodge dealership to obtain more specific towing specifications for the

2012 Dodge Journey.

For more information on the 2012 Dodge Journey, including pricing,

incentives, dealer locations, as well many more shopping tools, please

visit the link provided below:

http://www.dodge.com/en/2012/journey/

• 2 weeks later...

I too have the same questions, which I also e-mailed to Dodge Customer Assistance. Here is the reply I received:

"Please be advised, the 2012 Dodge Journey is considered to be America's most versatile crossover vehicle and not a sport-utility vehicle. Our sport utility vehicles typically feature four-wheel-drive capability and are used for carrying loads or passengers and used for sports such as hunting, camping or for off-roading.

According to our provided resources, the 2012 Dodge Journey models have a standard towing capacity of 1,000 lbs, however, when properly equipped with the 3.6L V6 engine and the Trailer Tow Prep Group have a maximum towing capacity of 2,500 lbs."

Unfortunate, as we love the Journey, but really want the typical 3,500 pound towing capacity that other similarly sized SUV/crossover's provide. I'm amazed that the RAV4, Equinox, Sorento, etc. can handle 3,500 pounds but the bigger, more powerful Journey cannot. Anyone have any insight here?

The interesting thing is that, as far as I know, there are no drivetrain changes from 2011 to 2012... Really, the only changes were the bumper.... And the 2011's could tow up to 2000 lbs without tow prep, and 3500 with the tow prep. That leads me to wonder if the 2011's were given an inflated tow rating...

• 1 year later...

We bought a 2012 Journey this spring. They told us it includes a tow prep group, but that did not acutally include the hitch receiever. Now that we are getting the receiver installed, they say they also need to install the wiring harness and maybe more. Shouldn't some of this have been part of the tow prep group? What does the tow prep include? Were they just lying to our faces?

Thanks,

There is another thread in here on towing. The 2012 towing (and the 2013) is 2500 lbs. with the tow package. A 1,000 lb reduction between 2011 and 2012. Don't know the reasons; could be drivetrain, could be chassis changes, could be that they realized that the 3500 lbs was way too much for the DJ and it was leading to mechanical issues so to cover their butts, they reduced the rating. Whatever their reasons, the tow capacity is 2500 lbs. and if you exceed it you void your warranty, become saddled with additional liability in an accident for being over weight and could quite conceivably be a danger to yourself and others sharing the road, not to mention that if it was reduced because 3500 lbs led to drivetrain issues, you could very well be ruining the car.

I've been towing RVs for ages and the DJ, despite its looks, is not a tow vehicle. It isn't an SUV, it is a car with some SUV characteristics, thus it is a CUV. Designed to carry people and their luggage. It can tow bicycles on a hitch carrier, a small utility trailer or a small pop-up, a jet ski, even a small boat, but, not an RV in the classical term. Part of the reason the Journey doesn't tow as much as some other makes is the fact that it is bigger and beefier; meaning it is bigger and heavier. That "bigger and heavier" comes right off the towing capability. My 2500 RAM Longhorn is rated to tow less than the ST version of the same truck; why?, because it is optioned out the wazoo and all those options mean I can't carry or tow as much as the same truck without them. Fact of the matter is you can't get something for nothing when talking about towing.

The tow package does include the oil cooler, but, not a transmission cooler and with a sealed unit transmission (doesn't even have a dipstick) adding one would be very risky and may, in fact, be why they lowered the tow rating - the transmission can't take towing stress of 3500 lbs. in the dead of summer without additional cooling. The package does include the 4 pin connector which should be sufficient for anything that the DJ can tow...you don't need 7 pin connectors for trailers without brakes and the small trailers that the DJ is rated for don't have brakes. The tow package does not include the receiver or hitch platform, that's why the 4 pin connector isn't installed at the factory; it would just hang down and get damaged, however, the installation, once the receiver is put on is "plug and play" and can be added with a screwdriver to pop off the tail light assembly and plug it in. The instructions are in the bag with the 4 pin connector. To tow the lightweight <2500 lb. trailer it is rated for you shouldn't need anything "extra". I, personally, was surprised when I ordered the tow package (to use my 2 bicycle carrier, not an RV) that the "tow package" didn't include the receiver and hitch, but, then again, I was also surprised that when I ordered the roof rails that they didn't come with the cross bars (come on Chrysler, what gives?).

So if you bought your Journey to go RVing, unless you do it in a small popup and don't take a lot with you (remember there is a Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating also), you are going to be out of luck...

Addendum on the 7 pin connector...if the trailer you are thinking about towing has brakes, it probably is too heavy for the Journey; most states don't require trailer brakes on trailers of 3,000 lbs or less, single axle. If the trailer you want to tow has more than one axle, or trailer brakes, then it is too heavy for the 2012-2013 Journey.

Edited by webslave

Webslave is correct on all points. I too was surprised by the lack of hitch receiver availability when I ordered my DJ Crew. The receiver is easily installed, and as mentioned above, the supplied wiring harness is plug and play with very little labor needed. Even working for a dealer, we were not given any concrete answers as to why the tow rating was dropped to 2500 lbs. We have heard more than once that it was done to reduce cooling stress which in turn helps maintain reliability.

I tow a 1200 lb pop-up camper with my 1999 300M, which has a rating of 2000 lb. I have not yet towed with the Journey but I expect it to be a little easier with an extra 30 hp and 10 lb-ft of torque on hand, coupled with two extra ratios in the transmission (therein lies the biggest benefit of all). The Chrysler handled the camper fine, but we definitely knew it was back there. Add a family and our stuff and you run out of capacity very quickly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

New DJ owner here. Is there a thread about towing the DJ behind a Motorhome? Owner Manual says " dolly towing not recommended" which is a bit ambiguous..... can the DJ be dolly towed or not? My intent, when I bought the DJ (FWD) was to be able to tow it with a dolly.

If its a AWD you will have to trailer it, FWD front wheels on a dolly and rear wheels on the ground should work. The Manual is really not clear, you are right, but does say:

" If the transmission is not operable, or the vehicle must

be towed faster than 25 mph (40 km/h) or farther than 15
miles (24 km), it must be towed with the front wheels
OFF the ground (using a flatbed truck, towing dolly, or
wheel lift equipment with the front wheels raised)."
But then says before that:
RECREATIONAL TOWING
(BEHIND MOTORHOME, ETC.)
Recreational towing is not allowed. DO NOT flat tow
this vehicle. Damage to the drivetrain will result.
NOTE: This vehicle may be towed on a flatbed or
vehicle trailer provided all four wheels are OFF the
ground.
Towing faster than 25 mph (40 km/h) or farther than
15 mi (24 km) with front wheels on the ground can
cause severe transmission damage. Such damage is
not covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty
I just think they are just in a CYA mode, in case some one does something really stupid and burns out a tranny or causes a crash. All they can say... We told them not to tow it!

• 11 months later...

New DJ owner. Just bought the 2012 SXT with 3.6. After having read several of the previous posts, i'd resigned myself to the 2500 lb max tow cap. Then I insisted that the dealer supply a print-out relating to my specific vehicle. They did this and are supplying the print-out which states that my DJ, based upon the VIN, is spec'd to tow up to 3500 lbs.

While I still intend to tow a pop up at <2,500 lbs, it is reassuring to know that we will not be at the max.

On second thought, maybe they sold me the 2011 (which was rated for 3500#) but had it labelled as a 2012

Edited by MJG

New DJ owner. Just bought the 2012 SXT with 3.6. After having read several of the previous posts, i'd resigned myself to the 2500 lb max tow cap. Then I insisted that the dealer supply a print-out relating to my specific vehicle. They did this and are supplying the print-out which states that my DJ, based upon the VIN, is spec'd to tow up to 3500 lbs.

While I still intend to tow a pop up at <2,500 lbs, it is reassuring to know that we will not be at the max.

Interesting. Care to further explain what you requested? I'd like to see it for mine...