Fuel consumption.

45dodge

Fuel consumption on my Dodge Journey that has less than 1000kl.I got 7.8L /100KL mostly on highway driving.Which is approximately 36 MPG.Canadian gallon.It has the new 3.6 engine.Any one getting this kind of fuel consumption ?

You must drive fairly slow and steady. I got 7.8 on 1 tank that was all highway. I had the cruise set at 110 and my speed never changed for that whole tank. Around town, which is most of my driving, I usually get around 12 - 12.5

• 2 weeks later...

if i used the right conversion calculator.....

we're finding that the window sticker is fairly accurate. 17mpg in city driving (13.836152 liters/100 km) and up to 27 (8.7116512 liters/100 km) on the open road.

ofcourse once we get into traffic, it drops like a whiffleboat.... but its better than the 14mpg i average a tank in my Jeep.

so. i'm not complaining.

• 8 months later...

I have a 2010 with a 3.5 v6 and my wife actually got 8.2L/100Km on the highway with myself and our 2 boys at a speed of 100km/h on cruise control for a distance of about 60km or 40 miles. This works out to be about 34MPG canadian. The only thing I've done is use a K&N filter and I use synthetic oil. My wife has now bragged she is a better driver than me but I've managed to get it down to 8.6L/100km. Soo far I've been pleased with the fuel consumption of this CUV.

• 2 months later...

Am i doing something not right with my 2012 r/t? I got my first full tank on it and i haven't consumed it yet but my distance to empty on my EVIC is only 414 km knowing that it has 79liter tank capacity!

Andmy EVIC says im averaging 21.9L/100km on my first 200 km.

Then i reset my EVIC, now im getting average 18.9L/100km for my another 200km!

But still im not happy with my fuel consumption.

Im driving it really gentle didnt even let its RPM touch to 3000.

Anybody can give advise or fix for it?

But all in all i love my new journey!

First and foremost, don't trust the Evic; it's very rarely correct and can be both over and under the true L/100Km. I ran the DJ to empty to find out how much fuel the tank would take and it was about 74L to fill.

I've done a bunch of Hwy driving this summer and often compared true calc vs what the evic says and it's usually Off. The worse offence was when I had it down to 7.9L/100Km yet when I filled up and checked the numbers, I actually got 9.3. another time when the evic showed 9.2, I had actually done 8.2, so it's really all over the board, which is odd seeing as it should be able to determine how much fuel is being injected to the cylinders at any given time.

City driving in regular traffic will kill your mileage pretty fast. With the summer brings much less traffic due to vacation times and I was hitting close to the EPA numbers of 13.8 and even exceeding it a couple of times, but school starting up again this past week, I started hitting 17L/100 km again like I had when I first got the vehicle; the main problem is the DJ is so freakin heavy that stop and go kills it; it wants and excels on the open road.

Am i doing something not right with my 2012 r/t? I got my first full tank on it and i haven't consumed it yet but my distance to empty on my EVIC is only 414 km knowing that it has 79liter tank capacity!

Andmy EVIC says im averaging 21.9L/100km on my first 200 km.

Then i reset my EVIC, now im getting average 18.9L/100km for my another 200km!

But still im not happy with my fuel consumption.

Im driving it really gentle didnt even let its RPM touch to 3000.

Anybody can give advise or fix for it?

But all in all i love my new journey!

Are you running the A/C alot or sitting idling or both? Both these, especially idling can really kill your km/l. Are you wearing steel toe boots? :-):-):-)

Are you running the A/C alot or sitting idling or both? Both these, especially idling can really kill your km/l. Are you wearing steel toe boots? :-):-):-)

Yes im running my a/c all the time on my first 400 km, but recently i turned it off and open my sunroof intstead and im improved from 18.9- 18.3L/100km :-) not a significant amount but hopefully its get better along the way! ...stop light after stop light in my city is killing my fuel consumption!

...and i dont wear a steel boots :-) i drive very gentle on it that i dont actually enjoy its power!

On my next gas refill i will try to drive it a little agressive and observe if it will make lot of difference on my consumption!

On my next gas refill i will try to drive it a little agressive and observe if it will make lot of difference on my consumption!

As numerous people have mentioned to you the gas mileage will get much better, My 2010 just turned 25,000 kms. and my mileage is still improving. How did your trip to your dealers parts dept. go? BTW I found pretty much all the numbers you wanted of all the parts I have added to my car if you need them.

Terry

Has anyone tried 91 octane, or more importantly 0% Ethanol gas? I know there isn't suppose to be any power gains from it, but I have noticed that since I switched to 0% Ethanol gas (usually 91 octane, except for converted Sunoco/Petrocan they are all 10% Ethanol) the distance to empty seems to drop more slowly and the L/100 KM seems to be slowly dropping even with some heavy footed driving through city streets and I use the A/C quite often. Currently I'm 16.2L/100km.

Personally I did not notice any increase in gas mileage in my 2010 AWD Journey R/T using a higher Octane gas, others may have. but I certainly didn't. I have never put any Ethanol in my tank, just run on 87 Octane and it seems to do well. If you click on the Fuelly logo below it will show you what I have gotten for mileage since day one. It shows 15.8l\100 kms which is still a weeee bit high but it does take in to account idling and winter warm ups/

I don't know for absolute truth but I believe 85 Ethanol will reduce your gas mileage somewhat because of the lower Octane rating

Terry

Edited by Windancer

Personally I did not notice any increase in gas mileage in my 2010 AWD Journey R/T using a higher Octane gas, others may have. but I certainly didn't. I have never put any Ethanol in my tank, just run on 87 Octane and it seems to do well. If you click on the Fuelly logo below it will show you what I have gotten for mileage since day one. It shows 15.8l\100 kms which is still a weeee bit high but it does take in to account idling and winter warm ups/

I don't know for absolute truth but I believe 85 Ethanol will reduce your gas mileage somewhat because of the lower Octane rating

Terry

From what I've read E85 has a octane level of 110, but because of the chemistry in how it burns you get more "power" but less mileage. I'm curious as to where you buy your 87 octane fuel with 0% Ethanol, as most stations around here have octane blended fuel as follows: 87 = 10% blend, 89 = 5% blend, and 91 = 0% blend (except for Sunoco/Petro stations, because they are all 10% blend).

From what I've read E85 has a octane level of 110, but because of the chemistry in how it burns you get more "power" but less mileage. I'm curious as to where you buy your 87 octane fuel with 0% Ethanol, as most stations around here have octane blended fuel as follows: 87 = 10% blend, 89 = 5% blend, and 91 = 0% blend (except for Sunoco/Petro stations, because they are all 10% blend).

Sorry Astral, I might have unwittingly posted something that may have been in accurate. I always put 87 Octane gas in my car, never looking to see the Ethanol content of it if there is one.

I just fillup at the same nighbourhood station each time. It is nothing special. Next fill up I will pay closer attention to what is posted on the pump.

Terry

There is one thing I do, I always use the Shell gas in my stuff, as I have several VERY high mileage vans that have used it exclusively at the business. 280K, 230K, and 341K. The nitrogen really does help clean the valves.

Thanks for the info. I personal would use Shell but I currently get a 8 cent/litre discount at another station, so saving about $5-6 a tank really adds up.