2011 Wiring Harness

LUX MAN

I agree generaltso; I think it would look more centered if they made the size of the opening equal on both sides of the hitch. There's nothing you'd want to do with the plug; it's convenient to have that there. Obviously the hitch has to be centered; the plug has to be to the side.

My current car just has the plug in the trunk. When I need it, I just close the trunk lid on the wire, which seems to work okay. Is that an option with the Journey or is the bracket for the plug welded to the hitch?

Based on the picture in the installation instructions, it appears that the plug bracket is already attached:

http://moparestore.trademotion.com/moparimages/accessory%20catalog/images/isheets/K6859925.pdf

You're right, it does look like it must be welded on there, so I guess it wouldnt make sense not to use it for the plug. Since the hitch is centered on the car and there's more room cutout to the left than the right, the cutout must not be centered on the bumper, correct?

I don't know about "must" not be centered. If I have this done I'd want the cut to be uniform on both sides of the hitch. An off center cut would aesthetically bug the hell out of me. I'm guessing it wouldn't hurt anything to have the cut slightly larger.

I agree, but if the cutout is bigger, they wouldn't be able to use the paper template. Probably not a huge deal if the installer knows what they're doing. The trim that covers the cut edge also probably wouldn't be long enough.

It is centered actually and both sides are the same size. It is just that the plug bracket is on that side. The bracket is welded to the mopar hitch on that side, so it cannot be removed.

It just looks that way since there is nothing on the right.

I have seen aftermarket hitchs that are not vertical and they hang down below the whole valance to provide a horizontal hookup. You can even see the crossbars on those vs this one you dont. I personally do not care for it to hang that low. Then again, I do not care for the vertical hitch either, but I am stuck with it.

LUX MAN

I agree generaltso; I think it would look more centered if they made the size of the opening equal on both sides of the hitch. There's nothing you'd want to do with the plug; it's convenient to have that there. Obviously the hitch has to be centered; the plug has to be to the side.

It is centered actually and both sides are the same size. It is just that the plug bracket is on that side.

That's good to know. It's probably just an optical illusion that makes it look like there's a bigger space on one side because of the plug. The installation instructions show no space at all to the right of the hitch, but that's just a drawing.

Now that is a nice job! While it is to one side, it looks great. Better than mine IMO! Wish now that I see that, that my guys did that! But as you see from this post, they were inept anyway. I happy at least it is on and it didnt fall off driving down the road! HAHA (so far...) :doh:

LUX MAN

Since it's dark out, I can't really take a pic of mine, but here is what the finished product looks like... It does appear to be a little lopsided (even on my Journey) because of the way the connector bracket is.

Thanks Armendegga. I guess it really doesn't matter if the cutout is centered. Yours definitely isn't centered, but it looks good that way!

Edited by generaltso

• 4 weeks later...

Yes. As silly as it sounds it doesn't come with the hitch or harness. It should really come with the hitch IMO

LUX MAN

Looks like that's been remedied. I picked up my 2012 Crew today, and the trailer tow prep package now comes with the plastic adapter plate for the 4 pin harness and a rubber cap to protect the plug.

Rebus,

I dont know what is up with Dodge on this Issue. But I have attached a couple of pics of it on my 2011 LUX. Maybe you could show them to your service guy and prove they are available. He should be able to get this in WA. I got it here in TX. Do you want the name and number of the service guy here? Now that he knows what you need.

LUX MAN

i would like the name and number of the service guy from you if you still have it. my local dealer is confused and i am hoping to have these two talk.

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hello...

I just wanted to post a quick "thank you" to everyone contributing on this thread and forum. With the info posted here I was able install my hitch and factory wire harness for only $221.70!

I've got a 2011 Dodge Journey - Crew

Here is what I did...

Ordered my hitch and ball mount from AutoAnything.com - They seem to always be running some kind of sale so I was able to get 15% off and free shipping. The prices below do not include that discount.

Here is the link to the hitch receiver. I went with the Curt. - $142.95

http://www.autoanyth...A0A3318065.aspx

I went with the class III, I know its a bit overkill but it was only $9 more than the class II

Here is the link to the ball mount - I went with the 2" drop, 2" ball "Ready Tow" also from Curt - $39.95

http://www.autoanyth...4A3885A0A0.aspx

Rated at 7500 GTW / 750 TW (again a bit overkill but it was the same price so... what the hell... better safe than sorry, right?)

Here is the link for the Mopar wiring harness - Part #68080976AC

http://www.factorymo...68080976ac.html

They had one is stock and since I'm in the same state, I got it the next day. It was $25 cheaper than my local dealer! - Price was $54.67 plus shipping

It did come with the rubber cap cover but the mount was separate. The cable is so short that I decided to just let it hang and skip the mount.

By the way, the instructions tell you to remove the bumper. DON'T DO IT! There is no need and it will save you a bunch of time and trouble if you don't. I'm a pretty big guy, (6'2" - 350 lbs). I laid on the ground underneath the rear bumper and was able to fit my arms between the bottom of the bumper and the spare tire well, which is where the harness with the three relays pops into the pre-drilled holes in the frame with those little plastic pins. The only thing you have to do is unplug the factory connector which is attached to a dummy "connector cap" and attach it to the harness. I pulled that "connector cap" out and used those holes to mount the now connected harness connector & factory connector. My only suggestion is to drop the spare tire so you have a little more room.

The installation of both the hitch and the wiring harness were ridiculously easy. If you have a torque wrench and know how to use it, you can do it in less than a couple of hours.

Like everyone else here when I was done my 4-wire plug had no power. The next day I went to my local dealer armed with all the info I acquired here. I explained to the service rep that I just needed the port activated. They had no idea what I was talking about so I gave them all the info that I had acquired here, the part number of the harness that I had already installed, the Star case number (S1108000077) that LUX MAN & Armendegga posted earlier in this thread and a basic Idea of what they had to do (flash the software to active the tow option). Basically I did all the research and leg work for them. When the tech picked up the car he came over to ask if I had the instructions that came with the harness. I did not have them with me. He said, no problem, he would look it up in the parts department. I figuring that the Rep had probably not correctly relayed all the info that I gave him so I went through it again with the tech. He had never done it before on a Journey, he said, but with the info I gave him, it should not be a problem. He drove off in the car and 15-20 minutes later he was back and the port was working. He said he had no problem at all and that the info I gave him was right on the nose and exactly what he needed. I wasn't sure if they were going to try and bill me for the labor so right off I told them that I had spoken to Chrysler and that they had told me it should have been done at the factory so I shouldn't have to pay for it. (A little white lie but what the heck, I really shouldn't have to pay for it anyhow) When the tech returned with the paperwork he said his supervisor signed off on it and I just had to sign some paperwork and that was it...no charge. Thanks to everyone here who contributed to the forum I was able to give them as much information as possible making their job much easier. I was in and out of the dealership in less than 45 minutes!

Here is what the tech wrote on my invoice, in case it helps anyone else.

ADD TRAILER TOW CODE TO VEHICLE OPTIONS LIST AND RECONFIGURE BCM. TESTED TRAILER HITCH WIRING. OPERATIONAL NOW.

Thanks again!!!

• 1 month later...

i am having problems finding the place to plug my 4 pin harness with the 3 relays on it into my journey. anyhelp from you guys that installed it yourself would be great.

i have the bumper off and installed the hitch part but i don't see were to plug in my wire harness. thanks in advance for any help.

i am having problems finding the place to plug my 4 pin harness with the 3 relays on it into my journey. anyhelp from you guys that installed it yourself would be great.

i have the bumper off and installed the hitch part but i don't see were to plug in my wire harness. thanks in advance for any help.

There should be a blue and white connector just behind the bumper (in front of really, but if you are looking at the bumper, it is behind it) between the vehicle center line and the driver's side reflector in the bottom part of the bumper. The connector should have a faux plug in it that keeps it from getting filled up with road grime. Just take that out - it will also be connected to the bumper with a press fit mounting clip - and plug the harness in there. Then the press fit clips on the harness with relays will fit into holes along the bumper sub frame.

On another note, I was FINALLY able to get my trailer wiring harness functional today - almost a full 7 months after we bought our DJ. Apparently I was the first at my local dealer to do this. The key that they kept missing is that, if the rig did not come from the factory with the trailer tow prep group, they must first add the appropriate sales code (AHC) to the VIN prior to trying to activate the harness. Once they figured this out - with my help, mind you - it took all of 10 minutes to activate. I am just so surprised that it seems each dealer is having to figure this out in such a round about way. Apparently Mopar doesn't have a final instruction list for this. In fact, they told my dealer that I needed a totally different wiring harness all together that would have cost almost $300. Luckily my service advisor took control, called the service manager in TX referred to in this thread, and made it happen.

Edited by Rebus

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you are having the same problem I have. Is your Journey a base model? I live in Canada and I have a SE Plus which is the base model with an options package on it. Mine does not have the plug either. If you have the base model without the LED tail lights you might get a way with tapping into the tail light wires behind the lights. If you have the LED tail lights iike I have you may have to do what I am in the process of doing at the moment.

If you study the harness with all those relays you will find that they feed every one with 12v and rely on the tail lights to only trip the relays. I have run a 12v feed from the front of the car off the battery boosting point to the rear of the car, then I will tap into the wiring at the lights to feed the relays. I think the onlyl reason the computer has to be flashed is to activate the 12v feed. If you have any questions post them here and I will try to get back to you ASAP.

• 2 months later...

Sounds like you are having the same problem I have. Is your Journey a base model? I live in Canada and I have a SE Plus which is the base model with an options package on it. Mine does not have the plug either. If you have the base model without the LED tail lights you might get a way with tapping into the tail light wires behind the lights. If you have the LED tail lights iike I have you may have to do what I am in the process of doing at the moment.

If you study the harness with all those relays you will find that they feed every one with 12v and rely on the tail lights to only trip the relays. I have run a 12v feed from the front of the car off the battery boosting point to the rear of the car, then I will tap into the wiring at the lights to feed the relays. I think the onlyl reason the computer has to be flashed is to activate the 12v feed. If you have any questions post them here and I will try to get back to you ASAP.

thanks for the info cutlass65. i have the led tail lights so i will have to do what you did. just wondering if what you did worked fine or if you have any problems? i hadn't messed with the wiring yet because i haven't needed it, but know i got a trailer so i gotta figure it out.

• 2 years later...

I know this is a old thread but just to make it complete by adding one point.

The connector always has 12V on the red wire, the fuse is in the cabin fuse block, however the control unit won't drive the relays until the system is flashed.