2011 Wiring Harness

LUX MAN

Has anyone else has this problem?

The dealer installs everything, then goes to plug in the wiring harness and it doesnt fit. Says the plugs are wrong. Supposedly the Chrysler engineers are working on it. Its been a week and still no answer. So I got the hitch, but the harness is just strapped in, waiting to be hooked up.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Mine fit perfectly. Not sure what they are talking about it being the 'wrong' plug. I had to take the dust cap off the plug under the bumper, then the harness that was in the cargo area just plugged right in.

Mine doesnt have the Tow Package so they had to Run the new harness all the way from the engine compartment thru the frame to the hitch. Still waiting for the new harness. Supposedly coming in this week. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Mine doesnt have the Tow Package so they had to Run the new harness all the way from the engine compartment thru the frame to the hitch. Still waiting for the new harness. Supposedly coming in this week. :(

Well, I have been going around with Chrysler on this one. There is NO correct part number yet. They actually did not make the correct wiring harness at all for 2011. If you have one already it may have been spliced in.

They are developing the part (no kidding here). It is being designed and built and I am supposed to get the 1st one. It should be in around Sept 22, 2011 is what they are telling me now.

I have had conversations with Chrysler corporate on this and they said sometimes things like this happens when a part is not made even though the car has been out a year! I said "what kind of car company...?" Anyway,

I bought the car on 6/29. It had the hitch put on the next week, but the harness that came was not compatable witht the new computer box in engine compartment. You want that vs. just splicing in with the lights for 2 reasons. 1) with the correct harness, you get the interface with the computer for the anti-sway system for towing and 2) with the LED, according to the service manager here, they will eventually short out your LED lights since they are running 5volt system to those vs a 12 volt.

STILL WAITING :rant2:

Edited by LUX MAN

Yeah, I wasn't going to wait on Chrysler to get that correct harness out, so I went ahead and bought a Modulite kit and it works fine. The modulite kits get their power directly from the battery so no worry on low voltage from LED taillamps. I only had to run a wire to the battery remote terminals, everything else splices into the tail lights and only gets the actual turn or stop signals, not power. If you can wait until late September, then that's cool, but question is, how much are they gonna want for that thing? My modulite was only $35 with free shipping, oh and get this, they accidently sent me two for the price of one. Hehe. Anyways, best of luck getting trailer wiring.

Yeah, I wasn't going to wait on Chrysler to get that correct harness out, so I went ahead and bought a Modulite kit and it works fine. The modulite kits get their power directly from the battery so no worry on low voltage from LED taillamps. I only had to run a wire to the battery remote terminals, everything else splices into the tail lights and only gets the actual turn or stop signals, not power. If you can wait until late September, then that's cool, but question is, how much are they gonna want for that thing? My modulite was only $35 with free shipping, oh and get this, they accidently sent me two for the price of one. Hehe. Anyways, best of luck getting trailer wiring.

I'm thinking of going this route for its cost effectiveness and the fact I wouldn't have to wait, but am not quite sure the best way to run all of the wiring. Do you have any pics of your install and/or pointers?

• 3 weeks later...

Dropped it off for the 4 pin harness today (as noted in other threads). WIsh the dealer know about that one instead of running around in circles about the 7 pin harness. Lets see if they can get it right this time! And replace the 4 rear apron fasteners that the forgot to replace when they put the hitch on! And maybe fasten the mufflers up when they are done this time!

:rant2::rant2::rant2::rant2::rant2::rant2:

WIsh the dealer know about that one instead of running around in circles about the 7 pin harness.

Sorry to hear of all your problems LUX MAN, glad you seem to have it rectified. I have a 2010 R/T AWD that came with the OEM tailering package so I put the triler hitch on as part of my purchase of the car. They seemed to have no problem with the 4 pin connector on my car. I was just a little surprised that they had to remove the entire rear bumper to get at the wiring.

Terry

Sorry to hear of all your problems LUX MAN, glad you seem to have it rectified. I have a 2010 R/T AWD that came with the OEM tailering package so I put the triler hitch on as part of my purchase of the car. They seemed to have no problem with the 4 pin connector on my car. I was just a little surprised that they had to remove the entire rear bumper to get at the wiring.

Terry

I was suprised they had to as well. They actually forgot to put 4 retaining clips back last time. As I posted in another thread about my battery, they plugged it in yesterday and the harness had a bad module that knocked out the turn signals. It is working now with the harness disconnected while we wait for another one to be shipped. I cannot believe what a goat rope it has become just to get a wiring harness from Chrysler.

I was suprised they had to as well. They actually forgot to put 4 retaining clips back last time. As I posted in another thread about my battery, they plugged it in yesterday and the harness had a bad module that knocked out the turn signals. It is working now with the harness disconnected while we wait for another one to be shipped. I cannot believe what a goat rope it has become just to get a wiring harness from Chrysler.

At least you've gotten some answers...my dealer still says there is absolutely no trailer wiring for the 2011 Journey...I know something exists, but convincing them of that seems to be impossible. Even with part number of the 4pin harness others had installed, I still get the same run around...

Edited by Rebus

Terry

Windancer (and anyone else who has 4 pin connectors)

What does your connector look like? Is it a hanging pigtail? Or is it a 4 Pin connector set in the hitch bracket?

This guy is telling me that I will have a 4 Pin harness wired into the 7 pin plug on the hitch.

I found a part on MOPAR that goes in the round hitch bracket that says it is an adapter for a 4 pin harness.

If anyone has a Pic of their setup with the 4 pin, it would be greatly appreciated if you could post it.

THANKS

LUX MAN

Edited by LUX MAN

Dropped it off for the 4 pin harness today (as noted in other threads). WIsh the dealer know about that one instead of running around in circles about the 7 pin harness. Lets see if they can get it right this time! And replace the 4 rear apron fasteners that the forgot to replace when they put the hitch on! And maybe fasten the mufflers up when they are done this time!

:rant2::rant2::rant2::rant2::rant2::rant2:

Did your dealer get the 4-pin harness installed for you? IS it functioning properly? If so, what is the part number they used.

My dealer says they don't exist...after I was told during the purchase negotiations that a towing setup "is not a problem - simple one day drop-off"...yeah, okay...now I know better.

In my frustration, I emailed Dodge directly asking for the part number to order, and their response was, "All factory parts and accessories can be ordered through your dealer." Um, okay...how 'bout you let me know what part number to order...sheesh. :rant2:

I got one set of numbers from Armenddega up in Canada, but my dealer says, "oh, those must be Canada only parts..." So, hopefully the part number of the harness you had installed will be correct for the USA.

What a pain... :banghead:

Did your dealer get the 4-pin harness installed for you? IS it functioning properly? If so, what is the part number they used.

My dealer says they don't exist...after I was told during the purchase negotiations that a towing setup "is not a problem - simple one day drop-off"...yeah, okay...now I know better.

In my frustration, I emailed Dodge directly asking for the part number to order, and their response was, "All factory parts and accessories can be ordered through your dealer." Um, okay...how 'bout you let me know what part number to order...sheesh. :rant2:

I got one set of numbers from Armenddega up in Canada, but my dealer says, "oh, those must be Canada only parts..." So, hopefully the part number of the harness you had installed will be correct for the USA.

What a pain... :banghead:

Rebus

I took the numbers from Armaggon and the dealer loomed em up and he said they were the numbers for the part that they put on at the factory. I dONT have them right now since I am out of town but will try to get them for you this week. I will have to make sure they r right cuz funny thing, it was a bust at the dealer thursday. I woke up to a dead battery as I said in another thread. It was an oddessy. I will paste from the other thread my fun.

"Yes, I read all about the battery TSBs. The advisor basically blew it off as not a problem with the Journeys. Just said it was the heat kiling them. He checked for the TSBs (I guess he did, I even gave him the numbers for them) and ended up doing another update to the system. He called it a RRT. They also put a new Battery in the car.

But the quality of service is a problem. I got a call that it was ready at 430 and driver was being sent to get me. He had not shown by 530 (????) so wife took me. When I get there, yes battery fixed (we'll see) but told that Wireing harness for hitch (that I have been waiting for for 2 months) had knocked out the turn signals. So they disconnected it and now they work but there was a bad module in the harness system and have to wait for another new harness. On top of that, they gouged the apron around the hitch. and didnt replace the fasteners that they forgot to replace last time for the rear apron. O and the spare was hanging down swinging free, not snug in its cradle.

So why tell me the car is done and when I show up it's not even close?? :banghead:

You can see I had some fun plus the mufflers each had a hanger not attached. I had to do it myself.

As I was doing more inspection this morning, it looks like they never even put the 4 pin harness in. It is total unacceptable customer service. Ive been lied to and I can't wait to get this straightened out and will not take my business there again. And will make sure to tell everyone else. They are inept.

I will have to get the job finished there since I already paid for it when I bought the car but never more

They r supposedly getting another harness. I will believe it when I see it. I will see all parts before I leave the car.

Incredibly bad experience.

I will let you know if it works.

Well, at least the battery still has juice this morning.

It seems completely bizarre to me that the harness that I received that came from the factory is unavailable from dealers... it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I don't understand how it could be a Canada only part either since it's just the plug... I'm sorry that I can't be of more assistance, and I do hope that there is an actual resolution for this very soon for you guys!

Talked to them yesterday and they said it is just the plug in harness like you have. It apparently is about 4 feet long and has 3 relays in it. apparently one went out after they hooked it up and it was working. They are getting another and working with manufacturer to figure out why. Hopefully I will get the new one soon.

Windancer (and anyone else who has 4 pin connectors) What does your connector look like? Is it a hanging pigtail? Or is it a 4 Pin connector set in the hitch bracket?

Sorry been away for a few days, do you still need some photos? If so I can tke them tonight.

terry

UPDATE

Still not working. They hooked up the 4 pin and the turn signals on the car went out. They are trying to figure out what update needs to be done!! This is getting downright silly.

I think it was mentioned here about the computer needing to be flashed to get them to work. He said he did something but it didnt work....

I will re-read the threads here, but the saga continues.......

:banghead:

Hey There,

That's correct. Once the 4 pin harness is hooked up, it needs to be flashed in order to actually enable them... Otherwise there is no power to the plug. According to my work order, this is what was done to resolve:

"CHECKED AND CONFIRMED FOUND REALTED STAR CASE S1108000077, REQUIRING THE ADDITION OF A SALES CODE, ADDED AND RESTORED VEHICLE CONFIG. RECHECKED OPERATION WORKS GOOD NOW"

Hopefully this helps! Let me know if you need any more information.

Thnaks armendegga.

I will him this morning. They have another harness they ordered and are trying to make it work on another Journey before they have me bring mine in and it did the same thing and they are not finding the solution.

I will pass him this info this morning and see if it help and will let you know.

LUX MAN

Replied to your PM, but for others with same questions:

Yes, the harness is the one with the 3 relays on it. As for the sales code, I don't have that, what was mentioned above was the only thing that was on my work order from the dealer ship when I took it in to get it activated. I am not sure if your dealer has access to that Star case or what it is (probably internal Dodge knowledge base), but I imagine that would tell the dealer how to activate.