How much weight?

LUX MAN

Everyone seems to be talking about how much to tow with their Journeys. Like 3500 pounds etc. Well Dodge says they are only rated to tow 1000# standard and 2500# Max (I assume with the oil cooler). Am I missing something?

Also, I wasn't told it was a vertical hitch until I picked it up from the dealer and was shocked!

Too late now, but how much weight can you put on that thing if it all rests on the pin?

I am getting one of those small cargo carrier things that just plugs in the hitch, but am concerned about all the weight on the Pin.

Lastly, what do you do about play in the connections? With the L shaped adapter in the receiver and a bike rack in that, their is alot of sway in the system.

Soulda went with an Aftermarket, but who woulda thought it wouldnt be a regular hitch?!?!?

Thanks

Every thing that I have read states 3500 lbs with tow package. The weight on the pin isn't the big problem, as the tongue weight should only be 350 lbs.

My biggest problem is that i can't wire in the brake controller which you NEED if the trailer is over 2000 lbs ( law in my province.) Can't get a signal wire from the brake pedal and am told that because everything is controlled by modules, I cannot do it!!??

Lastly, what do you do about play in the connections? With the L shaped adapter in the receiver and a bike rack in that, their is alot of sway in the system.

Thanks

I was able to weld a few beads down 2 sides and grind them until it fit nice and tight... Shouldn't have to!!!

Everyone seems to be talking about how much to tow with their Journeys. Like 3500 pounds etc. Well Dodge says they are only rated to tow 1000# standard and 2500# Max (I assume with the oil cooler). Am I missing something?

Here you go. Directly from the 2011 Owners Manual:

2011dodgejourneytrailer.jpg

Edited by Dre

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. But without the tow package it says 200 Pounds tounge weight. So 50 pounds for the cargo rack and I can carry just 150 pounds?! What a waste. Even if the hitch it rated at 350 pounds. But I am guessing that the Tow Prep group only is an Oil Cooler and a 4 pin connecter per the Dodge Website. So I guess in the case of the cargo Carrier, I could actually use up to 350# (includng the carrier). Does that pass the sniff test?? :unsure:

Edited by LUX MAN

Thanks. But without the tow package it says 200 Pounds tounge weight. So 50 pounds for the cargo rack and I can carry just 150 pounds?! What a waste. Even if the hitch it rated at 350 pounds. But I am guessing that the Tow Prep group only is an Oil Cooler and a 4 pin connecter per the Dodge Website. So I guess in the case of the cargo Carrier, I could actually use up to 350# (includng the carrier). Does that pass the sniff test?? :unsure:

I would agree with that statement...since the tow prep is just an oil cooler and wiring harness (not even sure it adds the connector itself), it doesn't change anything in regards to the actual hitch. If it's just a cargo carrier the max tongue weight should be 350 lbs IMO. It's just common sense.

This maximum tow weight seemed to have changed once the 3.6 l was introduced. My 2009 3.5 l maxs at 3500 lbs, and from what I have experienced so far, I think i could push it another 500-750 lbs. Not that I will but it seems to be OK at 3300-3500

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...