Radio Sound Problem

I just purchased the 2011 Dodge Journey and I am experiencing the volume spike when I start the ignition. I have no idea if this vehicle has ever had the software update but have made an appointment at the dealership for them to update the software. The only other issue is the daytime running lights will not turn on. It wasn't mentioned in the TSB for the volume so hopefully they can fix that as well.

I also own a 2008 Dodge Avenger and have not ever had any problems outside of the recall for the Gear Shift Springlock, which was taken care of immediately with no problem.

Hoping to have the Journey issues resolved soon!

The Mrs

I just purchased the 2011 Dodge Journey and I am experiencing the volume spike when I start the ignition. I have no idea if this vehicle has ever had the software update but have made an appointment at the dealership for them to update the software. The only other issue is the daytime running lights will not turn on. It wasn't mentioned in the TSB for the volume so hopefully they can fix that as well.

I also own a 2008 Dodge Avenger and have not ever had any problems outside of the recall for the Gear Shift Springlock, which was taken care of immediately with no problem.

Hoping to have the Journey issues resolved soon!

The Mrs

Is your DJ a Canadian model? The US DJs don't have the DRL activated from factory. It needs a very complicated conversation with the dealer techs to convince them to activate them.

The radio issue seems like its a known issue. The radio update TSB should take care of it.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a 2012 dodge journey radio issue I see in here from before. ..I called Dodge..they said my radio blasting is not their issue and to call Sirius. ..I called Sirius they say it's not them...call Dodge. Please assist! I can have the radio off and I turn it on. ..even at volume 2 it blares so loud and completely resets the equilizer settings as well....this is going to blow my speakers!!!

• Official Dodge Support

Hi taraevansin98,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your concern.

First, is your radio software up to date? You can check that here: https://www.driveuconnect.com/software-update/

If your software is current, I recommend letting an FCA dealership formally diagnose your vehicle. Please feel free to PM me your VIN, contact info, and dealership info so I can look into this situation further as well.

• 2 months later...

I have read the posts and I am experiencing a problem with the radio randomly turning on and off. I purchased my journey a few weeks ago and based on the uconnect site software updates are current for the 430 CD/DVD/mp3/hdd system. I am trying to provide the Carmax dealership as much info as possible to quickly resolve the issue for my 2009.

Tsb 18-052-11 and tsb 08-048-11 do not appear to address my issue.

What should my next step be?

PM - Private Message

You really should have started your own topic - your '09 uses a different radio than those of us with the 2011 and later models - the diagnostics ought to be started at a dealership (noting that dealers can, and do have issues sometimes diagnosing systems, as can be seen in this thread) so that my suggestion is to take it to a dealer for evaluation. While it could be a software issue, perhaps there's a bad connection or corroded wire.

But isn't this something that CarMax has to resolve?

Edited by bramfrank

• 3 weeks later...

Hello; I am new to this forum also. And so glad to find it. I have a 2012 Journey. Just bought it a year ago. First Dodge product we've ever owned. Same problems with our radio, although we have now got in the habit of turning the volume right down and then shutting the radio off before shutting the vehicle off. I have printed off the info sheet for 08-048-11 but curious - is this something that there is a charge for or is it an update that Dodge is required to do?

If your DJ is still within its warranty period/mileage there

should be no charge for software update generated

as Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs).

There was a software update some time ago for radios

came on at increased volume.

Sometimes disconnecting the negative battery cable

at the jumper location for 10 - 15 minutes will resolve weird

electrical goblins in todays version of the DJ.

My 2011 Journey Mainstreet is a good-running, quiet, and very comfortable car. However, since I've owned it (Over 2 Years) I have had problems with the radio coming on full volume at times when I start it. when it does this all settings for the radio and heater return to factory settings...so it's a real pain. The clock doesn't keep time. I have to reset it at least once a week.

And lately, the radio does NOT come on at all quite a few times. I turn the ignition on to accessories first, If the radio doesn't come on I turn it off and reboot the system. When it does come on I wait a few seconds so that it won't reboot again and start the engine. Annoying as can be!!!

Took it to the dealer. He wants $105 to diagnose the computer and check for the latest updates. Microsoft doesn't even charge for their updates!!! Why should Dodge not support their products with software updates??? And they wonder why they're in trouble all the time!

Martinbec05; You might want to try the 'disconnect the battery for 30 minutes' reset process to clear out any accumulated 'stuff' from the computers - there may just be a glitched memory location that resetting can resolve.

bigtsr; That always did bother me on the '11 - it is one of the neat things about the factory navigation; You have the option of slaving the vehicle clock to the GPS. Why it is an option is beyond me, since the GPS will ALWAYS be more accurate than the vehicle clock. I was a bit surprised that the coders didn't offer a clock adjust parameter in the list of parameters - there is a dealer value for adjusting the speedometer accuracy, so you'd think there'd be one for the clock as well.

Of course I wish my motorcycle, which cost more than my last DJ offered a parameter to adjust the speedometer, since it is more than 8% optimistic, as well as the clock, which runs slow.

These are all digital systems. There really is no reason why they couldn't be made accurate, or adjustable.

Edited by bramfrank

• 1 year later...

I know this is a VERY old post so I'm not sure anyone will respond but I just bought a 2012 journey from a chevy dealer and am having the same problem!!! Scares the Sh*t out of me and my infant son. How do I go about getting this fixed since I didn't buy it from a dodge certified dealer??? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks