Radio Sound Problem

Welcome to the club. As you can read all the posts this has been a ongoing problem since June. Chrysler is aware of the problem however, we are all waiting for the new software update for the radio. I was original told the new software will be release in mid November however, I'm still waiting.

Just be careful, it has been reported the radio will blast at you while driving. It did it to me and scared the heck out of me. Lucky for me I wasn't changing lanes. I'm prepare for it when I start the Journey however, I'm not prepared while driving.

This may help during start up: - Prior of turning off the car, turn off the radio. As soon as you turn the radio on, turn the volume down.

As for driving, good luck. It only did it to me once and I forgot to turn off the radio when I shut off the car.

It has not happened to me while driving yet, but I usually have the sound up while driving anyway. As far as start up, a couple times yesterday, but after a couple trips today it did not do it. I traded in a 2010 camaro for the Journey, I love it so far. Rides like a dream and it is getting pretty good gas mileage for a SUV. Very comfortable on the road and quite compared to the camaro. Of course if I ever want to play with a camaro I'll just drive the wifes.

Edited by LionsFan

It has not happened to me while driving yet, but I usually have the sound up while driving anyway. As far as start up, a couple times yesterday, but after a couple trips today it did not do it. I traded in a 2010 camaro for the Journey, I love it so far. Rides like a dream and it is getting pretty good gas mileage for a SUV. Very comfortable on the road and quite compared to the camaro. Of course if I ever want to play with a camaro I'll just drive the wifes.

The radio has it mind on its own. I have been experiencing this for the last 6 months and still haven't figure out a pattern. I could go up to 3 weeks without blasting at me at start up.

You are correct they are nice vehicle to drive and the 3.6 L engine has lots of power.

Edited by DHP

• Official Dodge Support

All,

They have released a fix for the radio sound problem as well as a couple of other issues. I have posted it below.

NUMBER: 08-048-11 REV. A

GROUP: Electrical

DATE: December 20, 201

SUBJECT:

RHA And REB Radio Software Enhancements

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves upgrading the software on the RHA or REB Radio.

MODELS:

2011-2012 (JC) Journey

**2011-2012 (LD) Charger**

NOTE: This bulletin applies to JC vehicles built prior to **October 4, 2011 (MDH

1004XX) and LD vehicles built prior to July 25, 2011** equipped with

UCONNECT TOUCH 4.3 CD/MP3 (sales code RHA) or UCONNECT TOUCH

4.3S CD/MP3/SAT (sales code REB).

NUMBER: 08-048-11 REV. A

GROUP: Electrical

DATE: December 20, 2011

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

· **When the ignition is first turned on, the audio volume is very high.**

· **CD audio glitch and/or audio drop out for 0.2 seconds.**

· No display and no audio on radio.

· The driver's heated seat soft key is grayed out on the radio display.

· CD skips repeatedly while playing.

· CD jumps tracks after cranking the engine, turning the radio off and then on, and/or

after depressing the stop and then play soft key.

· In USB playback mode a blank screen, or the last displayed screen, is displayed

when the ABC soft key is pressed.

· An iPod Nano connected in USB mode may fail to play and/or the Pause and Play

keys are reversed on the radio display.

· Multiple instances of the same Sirius Game Zone entry may be displayed.

· Intermittently, the back-up chime sounds continuously once vehicle is put into

forward gear, instead of shutting off.

DIAGNOSIS:

If a customer’s VIN is listed in VIP or your RRT VIN list, perform the repair. For all other

customers that describe the symptom/condition, perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:

Qty. Part No. Description

**AR (1) 68147629AB REB Update Disc (version 11.41.6) for JC**

**AR (1) 68147630AB RHA Update Disc (version 11.41.6) for JC**

**AR (1) 68169945AA REB Update Disc (version 11.40.6) for LD**

**AR (1) 68169943AA RHA Update Disc (version 11.40.6) for LD**

• Official Dodge Support

Thanks Dodge Cares, so glad to hear this. I will be calling today to make an appt.

Thanks Again,

MBFoley

MB,

Your welcome. Make sure you take down the TSB number when you go as many dealers will most likely not be aware of this one yet since it just came out today.

Yes, most definitely. I'll also print this out.

Hi DodgeCares,

I just called my service Dept. and did not get anywhere. She pulled up my vin # and it shows no new updates and I gave her the TSB and she said she couldn't do anything with that as there's nothing coming up under my vin. She said that she could schedule me for service and see if there was anything they could do for the issue. I told her no, I'm not going to make a trip in and have all these other things checked when all I want is this update. She said it usually takes longer for it to get in the system then when it hits the news, I told her it was not on the news that I had heard this and told her about the forum. I told her I would wait and call next week to see if it is in their system.

I tried to talk to the Service Directer, but apparently he was not in.

MBFoley

• Official Dodge Support

Hi DodgeCares,

I just called my service Dept. and did not get anywhere. She pulled up my vin # and it shows no new updates and I gave her the TSB and she said she couldn't do anything with that as there's nothing coming up under my vin. She said that she could schedule me for service and see if there was anything they could do for the issue. I told her no, I'm not going to make a trip in and have all these other things checked when all I want is this update. She said it usually takes longer for it to get in the system then when it hits the news, I told her it was not on the news that I had heard this and told her about the forum. I told her I would wait and call next week to see if it is in their system.

MBFoley

Foley,

PM me your VIN.

• Official Dodge Support

I see this is only for the 4.3 radio. Is there a similar fix for the 8.4/8.4N?

DRB,

I do not have one for the 8.4 yet but when it comes out I will post it. I have a list of problems I check for TSB's every day.

Hi DodgeCares,

MBFoley

Thanks to DodgeCares assistance the other day, I called my dealer back and spoke to someone different. And they now have the upgrade on order and should be here in 4 -5 days, but because of the holidays I don't figure before next week. They are suppose to give me a call when it's here.

Can't wait, hope this fixes the sound problem like it is suppose to.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually went a few months without this happening so kind of forgot about it, then it happened the other day. Called the dealership this morning and apparently there are no recalls, rapid response or TSB's for my vehicle and they won't apply the fix.

Actually went a few months without this happening so kind of forgot about it, then it happened the other day. Called the dealership this morning and apparently there are no recalls, rapid response or TSB's for my vehicle and they won't apply the fix.

I had same problem with my dealership. I had to approach it differently. I called them again and talked with someone different and did not give them my name or vehicle right off, I insisted they look up the TSB that I provided them. (The full TSB # and full description is listed further back in this thread). Once they found it and read it they were ok with getting the update done.

It states in the TSB to apply that fix to anyone that has the problem even if it is not attached to your vin #.

Good Luck.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just bought a 2011 Journey SXT. When I start the car the radio volume (sound) comes on extremely high. This happens once in a while. Has any one had this happen to them before? Thanks

I had the exact same thing happen. The control module or something was messed up. When I would remote start my SXT the radio would blast or when I got into it and started it up I was always cringing hoping it wouldnt just about blow the speakers. Take it in to get the control module in the radio replaced. I got mine replaced for free under warranty. My interior lights would also flicker on and off and only had defrost once the module crapped out for good before taken her in.