Radio Sound Problem

Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem.

I turn the radio on at the "knob" now and I can tell within a split second if the radio will come on loud or not and then I "quickly" turn the volume down at the knob. Never tried the steering wheel controls. I find the knob is much quicker.

I sent an e-mail to Chrysler Canada and they reply back to me yesterday saying that they are aware of the issue with the radio on my 2011 Journey and they are working on a resolution. They do not have a time frame on the resolution.

I also sent an e-mail to my Service Adviser who is monitoring this issue and he told me yesterday that he will contact Dodge and get back to me this week. About a month ago my Service Adviser did install a new software for my radio however, it didn't work.

When this problem first occurred back at the end of June ( my vehicle was manufactured in June 7 ), no one has every heard of this problem before until the last few months which is very interesting. It seems this problem only occurred when the vehicle was built after May/June.

Trusting this additional information will all help you and DodgeCares. DodgeCares and my Service Adviser have been most helpful (thank guys).

Edited by DHP

I am having the same problem on my 2011 Dodge Journey Express. I have the 4.3 UConnect. I have been able to duplicate the problem whether I was using satellite, fm radio or CD. Just randomly on start up the volume is blaring. I can tap the radio dial down and it will immediately show something like 5 even though it was blaring. I took it to Dodge and of course they had never heard of the issue. I did manage to record the problem on my cell phone and it did on the video. They were stunned at the dealership. They have ordered a new radio and I really hope this fixes the problem. But after finding this forum, I'm worried.

Chrissy

There is a Dodge "Flash Bulletin" on this issue and your Service Adviser should be aware of it. I agree with ChrisPollard replacing the radio will not resolve the issue. Dodge needs to resolve this problem first. Once resolve, it could be a software problem or a hardware problem.

Good news.

My Service Adviser has just informed me today that he was talking to Chrysler Tech Support and they are in the process of issuing a service bulletin and releasing a new software update which should arrived within 2 weeks. My Service Adviser further stated that he was able to have the file sent over by e-mail so I don't have to wait so long however, he prefer to test this new software first before installing it in my Journey as the previous software update didn't work. He has a co-worker that has a 2011 Journey and experiencing the same problem so he will be the first one to try it out.

Chrissy

There is a Dodge "Flash Bulletin" on this issue and your Service Adviser should be aware of it. I agree with ChrisPollard replacing the radio will not resolve the issue. Dodge needs to resolve this problem first. Once resolve, it could be a software problem or a hardware problem.

DHP,

No the new radio did not solve the problem. I actually told them about this forum and that I wasn't the only one with this problem. Guess I'll be waiting for an update :)

• 2 weeks later...

Got a new angle on this problem tonight. Up to this point, it has ONLY done the loud blast on initial startup of the audio system. A few minutes ago, coming home from the store, I started up, left my parking space, got about three rows down - and THEN it blasted me.

Anybody else have this one happen to them? I'm prepared for it on startup now ... but this one scared the bejeezes out of me. Completely off guard!

Got a new angle on this problem tonight. Up to this point, it has ONLY done the loud blast on initial startup of the audio system. A few minutes ago, coming home from the store, I started up, left my parking space, got about three rows down - and THEN it blasted me.

Anybody else have this one happen to them? I'm prepared for it on startup now ... but this one scared the bejeezes out of me. Completely off guard!

Never happen to me. Just at start up. This could be a hazard while driving and I suggest that you report it immediately. I'm a retiree and if this happens to me while driving it will scare the heck out me and I could get in a accident.

Never happen to me. Just at start up. This could be a hazard while driving and I suggest that you report it immediately. I'm a retiree and if this happens to me while driving it will scare the heck out me and I could get in a accident.

Today I notice that when I start the Journey my climate control were turn "off". This has happen to me before and the next time I started the Journey (2 days not driven) the battery was dead. Have you run into this problem before?

Hi ChrisPollard

Did they install the new radio software to your Journey that was release few weeks ago?

I'm taking my Journey in next week for them to install the new radio software.

Is there a TSB# or something I can reference? I don't hold a lot of faith in my dealership at the moment.

Refer to post #53 on page 3. I'm not sure if its out yet however, I did send an e-mil to my Service Advisor on the status of this today.

• Official Dodge Support

Hi DodgeCare

Have they officially released an software update yet on the radio issue? No one seems to know.

Thanks

DHP,

That update has not been released yet. As soon as it is published, I will post it here.

Couple weekends back we had a cold snap (-18 or so) and about 3 out of 4 startups it blasted me. Frequency lessened when it warmed back up into the -5/-10 range. I wonder if there is a relationship there, or if it was just a weird anomaly. Guess I'll find out next week when it's supposed to head towards -20 again. :( (Wouldn't a DJ look great in Hawaii? I'm thinking so ... stupid winter.)

We were having the same problem with our radio on our 2011 journey , our service advisor called us & they updated the software on the 15th of nov & it has not done it since :)

You may not be out of the woods yet. My radio was updated back in October and approximately 3 weeks later, it blasted at me at start up. I'm waiting for the new update software which should be out soon.

I had the same problem on my 2008 Dodge Journey, the dealer changed radios a couple of times without effect. However in the end (after about a year, software updates, new hardware, etc.) I got a radio without the problem. The volume on the radio is way down, I have to have it up to 10 when standing still and to about 18 on the highway to hear anything, but apart from that it works OK. And there was no way I was going to complain about the low volume and get the old problem back again...

But I will talk to the dealer when the software fix comes in, and get my unit updated when that comes through!

I have a 2012 Journey Crew and have not seen the sound problem. I did complain though that the sub just didn't seem to have much oomph. They flashed a software update and the system has been great ever since - going on 2 weeks.

Hello, just wanted to know if after the software flash the bass got better? I have a 2011 R/T with the 8.4 screen and Infinity speakers/sub and the sub seems to do next to nothing. I've asked my dealer about it and they've never been able to improve it. Do you have any info on what this software flash was for?

Thanks,

Aaron

Hello, just wanted to know if after the software flash the bass got better? I have a 2011 R/T with the 8.4 screen and Infinity speakers/sub and the sub seems to do next to nothing. I've asked my dealer about it and they've never been able to improve it. Do you have any info on what this software flash was for?

Thanks,

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Yes the bass did improve - but don't expect a thumping sub like the guy in the car next to you with his dual 12" subs in the trunk. It basically provided a bit richer sound which gets even better with volume. When the volume is at "8" you don't notice it much but crank it to "20" and it sounds much fuller. I also have the balance set to one notch toward the back off center.

My work-order (receipt) from the shop says they "Flash PCM per TSB 18-052-11" which was a software update. I think I read elsewhere in the forums about this TSB (regarding a like issue) but I don't remember where at the moment.

Anyway - its better - not great - but certainly better and enjoyable.

I can comment on this though - when it comes to sound quality and depth - playing a CD is the best and I get good bass from there - playing the radio is ok - satellite is horrible but I don't blame the radio for that. The satellite data is so compressed it sounds like a badly converted MP3 and you will definitely loose bass response because of the compression. I would never pay for a subscription to that service - its that bad. I haven't tied my iPod to it yet but I have used the Bluetooth connection from my Android phone using Pandora. That worked pretty well too - but still not as good as the CD - I suspect some of the same compression issues from Pandora though not nearly as bad as the Sirius.

Oh and I have the 4.3 screen with the Alpine speakers/sub. I wish they would put a separate control for the sub in the equalizer screen or even better, give us at least 5 bands to tweak the sound quality. Then I could crank anything 80hz or below to let the sub do its thing and adjust the others to taste. Dodge?? Are you reading this?

It just happen to me today for the first time. I drove off with the radio on and few minutes later it blasted at me. Scares the heck out of me. Trusting the new software update will be release soon.

Oh the joys of technology and integration, eh? Old days you could just go with an aftermarket stereo ... now it's your HVAC and settings and everything else. There's no escape!

I find it blasting much more frequently in cold weather. Hope that flash is released soon - our winter isn't going to get any warmer for several months.

Just bought a Journey last week, and I have the same problem with the radio blasting. Scared the crap out of the misses.

Welcome to the club. As you can read all the posts this has been a ongoing problem since June. Chrysler is aware of the problem however, we are all waiting for the new software update for the radio. I was original told the new software will be release in mid November however, I'm still waiting.

Just be careful, it has been reported the radio will blast at you while driving. It did it to me and scared the heck out of me. Lucky for me I wasn't changing lanes. I'm prepare for it when I start the Journey however, I'm not prepared while driving.

This may help during start up: - Prior of turning off the car, turn off the radio. As soon as you turn the radio on, turn the volume down.

As for driving, good luck. It only did it to me once and I forgot to turn off the radio when I shut off the car.