Radio Sound Problem

Clearly this is a problem associated with initialisation at startup, which implies that it could be unrelated to the radio, but to some other feature in the vehicle overwriting the volume setting on startup when conditions line up a certain way.

I've had my Journey with the 4.3 for almost 2 months and have had no issues - perhaps you should list what model and what options you have - perhaps it is something in the specific combination of features in your particular vehicle.

My 2012 CVP with the 4.3 has done this to me once, the night we brought it home. I mentioned it when it was in for the remote start installation, and they were supposed to flash the radio ... but they had to replace the radio during the remote start install ... and it hasn't happened since. So either it was radio-specific, they flashed it, or it just hasn't re-surfaced yet. My salesman did mention there have been a lot of radio problems in the Journeys ... so maybe it's the radio unit itself?

• Official Dodge Support

I tried it in the "off" position and the problem is still there.

DHP,

I am not aware of any fix yet for the radio volume at startup problem. If / when a fix for this issue becomes available I will post it here.

Thanks DodgeCares. My Dealer told me that there is a Flash Bulletin on this issue (radio) and Dodge is currently trying to resolve this issue. Any further information from you would be much appreciated. Thank you again.

picked my 2012 up two weeks ago and no fix for the prob as of last Friday

The last time the volume spiked I was ready with my hand on the steering wheel volume down button. One click and the sound was restored to the normal level which I found interesting as to me this indicates that the system thinks the radio volume is at a normal level when it is actually much much louder.

Add me to the list with this issue have had our 2012 for 2 weeks and it has happened 3 times. First 2 times I thought I had done something for this to happen than this morning I had it in to pick up our 2nd key fob and they of course had to program it, so I had to wait a bit, and when I got in the car it started loud again. Also it resets the radio settings back to default, balance, equalizer, bass, treble, etc. I have the 4.3 and am only using it on radio.

Now I know I'm not crazy and it is a known issue I will be calling the Service Dept. But, from what I have read so far I don't expect a fix yet.

Add me to the list with this issue have had our 2012 for 2 weeks and it has happened 3 times. First 2 times I thought I had done something for this to happen than this morning I had it in to pick up our 2nd key fob and they of course had to program it, so I had to wait a bit, and when I got in the car it started loud again. Also it resets the radio settings back to default, balance, equalizer, bass, treble, etc. I have the 4.3 and am only using it on radio.

Now I know I'm not crazy and it is a known issue I will be calling the Service Dept. But, from what I have read so far I don't expect a fix yet.

The service Dept just called me back and she said that she could not find any bulletin on this issue but she said that doesn't mean that it is not being worked on. It's just that they have no notice on it. She said she checked with others at the dealership and no one had even heard of this problem. So she said just hang in there and wait and see.

So, guess that is what I'll do, wait until it is posted on here that a fix is available.

spoke to Chrysler Canada. The lady from the resolution dept told me that they are aware of the problem and the tech team is looking into it and they are not able to give a time line. in the mean time they are not willing to do anything to compensate their customers for this issue. she told me just don't use the radio!

So you spend 30k and you are told by the company who makes the car not to use the radio

• Official Dodge Support

The service Dept just called me back and she said that she could not find any bulletin on this issue but she said that doesn't mean that it is not being worked on. It's just that they have no notice on it. She said she checked with others at the dealership and no one had even heard of this problem. So she said just hang in there and wait and see.

So, guess that is what I'll do, wait until it is posted on here that a fix is available.

MB,

As soon as a fix is available I will post it on this thread.

The last time the volume spiked I was ready with my hand on the steering wheel volume down button. One click and the sound was restored to the normal level which I found interesting as to me this indicates that the system thinks the radio volume is at a normal level when it is actually much much louder.

Interesting. I have always control the radio volume at the knob. I will start using the steering wheel volume control to increase and decrease the volume. Maybe this will temporary resolve this issue. I will keep you all posted on the outcome.

Yeah, I noticed that too, last time it spiked on me. It came on at 22, I tapped the volume on the wheel once, it went back to 9 instantly. My dealer said they're still waiting on the fix, but it is a known problem that they're working on. Although outside of my original test drive, it has only happened to me once since we bought it. So far, tolerable. Nothing I would say "Don't use the radio" over.

Ugh, the blaring radio happened twice today (I bet our poor dogs jumped out of their skin in the back) But I was ready with the button on back of steering wheel and one click it restored to previous sound level, but, equalizer etc still resets to default. So yup this trick works.

Interesting. I have always control the radio volume at the knob. I will start using the steering wheel volume control to increase and decrease the volume. Maybe this will temporary resolve this issue. I will keep you all posted on the outcome.

That idea didn't work. I only used the knob to turn the radio on and off. I'm trying to figure out a pattern as to why this is happening and so far, there isn't one. It has now been 5 months. When Dodge does fix the problem I'm going to asked them to replace the 6 speakers at the same time as the load sound must be damaging the speakers.

Short blasts of loud shouldn't hurt the speakers. If the speakers HAVE been blown, you will hear it. But I doubt they'd replace the speakers if they are undamaged due to short bursts of loudness. Not sure how loud your blasts were, but mine were usually around 22 or 23 out of 38 levels of volume. Just barely over half power. There is no way that should damage anything.

Short blasts of loud shouldn't hurt the speakers. If the speakers HAVE been blown, you will hear it. But I doubt they'd replace the speakers if they are undamaged due to short bursts of loudness. Not sure how loud your blasts were, but mine were usually around 22 or 23 out of 38 levels of volume. Just barely over half power. There is no way that should damage anything.

Thanks. That's good information to know as that was my major concern (speakers). I was not quick today to turn the radio down and I did notice the radio level was set at 22. I usually have it around 9. Thank you again for your advice.

That IS interesting that it seems to be blasting to 22 each time it happens - and not just in one Journey, but more than one. This could be something that could help the people trying to write the software fix. DodgeCares - any way to pass this info along?

I'm wondering if the radio default is set at 22 and need to be change to 8 or 9.

• Official Dodge Support

That IS interesting that it seems to be blasting to 22 each time it happens - and not just in one Journey, but more than one. This could be something that could help the people trying to write the software fix. DodgeCares - any way to pass this info along?

Chris,

I have sent the information posted on this thread to our radio engineers. Thanks....

Cool. Thanks DodgeCares. I just had it happen a few minutes ago coming home from the mall. Next time it does, I'm going to check to see if there is a difference between how the volume dial reacts and the rocker on the steering wheel. The wheel rocker brings it back to where it was instantly ... does the volume dial do the same, or does it make you spin all the way back down? If they react differently, the question is what is programmed differently between the two? (I have some computer programming in my background, and debugging things like this requires finding all the constants and variables, then figuring out where they interact, and what can go wrong ... and why it isn't a constant problem, the hardest kind to track down.)

I am having the same problem on my 2011 Dodge Journey Express. I have the 4.3 UConnect. I have been able to duplicate the problem whether I was using satellite, fm radio or CD. Just randomly on start up the volume is blaring. I can tap the radio dial down and it will immediately show something like 5 even though it was blaring. I took it to Dodge and of course they had never heard of the issue. I did manage to record the problem on my cell phone and it did on the video. They were stunned at the dealership. They have ordered a new radio and I really hope this fixes the problem. But after finding this forum, I'm worried.