R/T AWD shut down doing 120KM on the highway

cadmarx

Let me start off by saying that my wife loves her 2010 AWD R/T Journey in red. So if there is an issue with it, she will bitch about it nonstop. Spending as much $$$ as humanly possible for the fully loaded 2010, I would feel the same way. I myself never thought in a million years I'd own a Dodge, but it was her call and she fell in love with it right away. I will say, the handling and drive on highways speeds is very comfortable and enjoyable at long distances even though this model is well under powered compared to the 2011 version, but she’ll live with it.

That all said, for an SUV with just over 65K and not quite 2 years old, we've seen our share of issues already. First off, the front rotors were done at 22k. Had to fight Chrysler Canada to reduce the repair costs from $800 to $200 because we were just over the 20K warranty on them, No way should brakes go that fast, it’s not driven hard by any means. Then both brake lights go out, 2 weeks apart. Cheap and easy to replace, but come on, whats up with that?...Then left fog lamp dies just after 50K. It was used MAYBE 3 times at that point!!! Cost to replace, $170.00!!! I would have said no way, but she wanted it replaced.

At the same time as the fog lamp service, we're due for an oil change at approx. 62K. Service was completed and off we go. Two weeks later, my wife called me at work complaining that the AC was not working. It hot as Hell out and she needs it fixed ASAP. I called the dealer and took it in the next day. Two hours later, I return to the dealership and am told that the condenser valve is cracked and it’s leaking slowly. I said, OK, so let’s get it fixed. I'll assume under warranty, right? NOT.....I ask, so when did the so called warranty run out on the AC unit? 60K is the response. OK, now I’m pissed, the truck was just in two weeks ago at 62K and now at 64K and you didn't pick up on that? I asked the Service Tech to print out an estimate for repair. Are you sitting down?? They wanted $1100.00, parts and labour. I said hold tight, let me have a chat with Chrysler Canada first. We used the AC for 1 summer and its busted already and just over the warranty period? Not impressed.

Well, after my wife dealt with Chrysler Canada and the dealership, they have knocked the cost down to $300.00 total. We’ll can live with that and said Ok we'll go ahead with the repairs.

Now, I still have not been in for the repair for the AC as of today yet the strangest thing happened to us on the way home from a family get together on the weekend. My wife was driving home along the highway this night; I usual drive 99% of the time as a family, but she drove because I was feeling sick. She was doing about 115-120km in the fast lane, when she hit what I call a speed bump right across the 4 lanes of highway!!! The road must have buckled in the heat wave over the weekend because that should NOT be there. It felt like the truck was launched a foot off the road!!!. When we landed, the truck just shut down, I mean, no power, no nothing!! She hit the hazards and I told her to coast over onto the shoulder. Power steering was gone of course, but she managed to direct the truck nicely over to safety. I looked down at the key in the ignition and it looked fine. I told her to turn the key to the off position then try and restart it. It started with no problem and off we went back into traffic.

So, question is, has this happened to anyone else or is this just a one off freak occurrence? Is there a design fault with this Journey’s Electronic Key fob? The next bump on the road, will the key fob just come lose and shut the truck off again???? Very scary thought if you think about it.......

I'd like to hear from anyone that may have experianced this.

Mark

Edited by cadmarx

Sorry to hear about your experience. Crossing my fingers on my Journey which only has 9K KM and a long way to go.

I read here there is a recall on the key fob on certain build dates as it can be removed. Best to search for it. When I find the link, I'll post it as well.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

I thought I’d better reply and close this topic off. There was a recall on the ignition housing for the Journeys and the Caravans. Within one week of my original post, I received the latter from Chrysler Canada to setup a service for the recall. It took 4 weeks for the part to come in, but it only took 15mins to install. The new device definitely holds the key fob "tighter" and looks OK as a replacement.

So all should be fine now....... I hope :)

FYI, another bulb burnt out again.... The new 2011's have LEDs and should resolved the constant $5.00 replacement of these turn signal bulbs on my 2010!!!