Rear passenger door locks

RAV

We're annoyed by the performance of the rear door locks. Even though the child locks are disabled, the rear doors do not unlock when the interior handles are pulled. We even reviewed this with the dealer when we were in for a recall yesterday.

The only way to unlock the rear doors is when the driver/passenger unlock the doors with the switch up front.

The manual states that you need to manually pull up the buttons if you are in the rear seats. This is a pain and I'm considering buying longer lock pins/buttons next time I'm at the auto parts store.

Anyone else have a comment on this.

Sure wish that the doors would unlock when you pulled the handle. Would have been nice to have electronic unlock buttons in the rear seat area.

It is a safety issue, I would guess. Every vehicle I have ever had has worked that way. Is it really that hard to push the button to unlock the doors? I have my Journey set to auto-unlock all doors when I open the driver door.

It is a safety issue, I would guess. Every vehicle I have ever had has worked that way. Is it really that hard to push the button to unlock the doors? I have my Journey set to auto-unlock all doors when I open the driver door.

My kids are older - 14 - and when you drop them off, they can't unlock their doors without the driver consciously unlocking the doors (after the auto lock).

Nope.

Im my Journey all doors unlock when the driver pull his handle , the unlock button is not needed in this situation.

Also if the child locks are disabled , the rear passengers can unlock the rear doors by pulling the door lock knob on the door trim panel upward. Compared with the front knob they are taller with more grip FOR THAT REASON.

Im my Journey all doors unlock when the driver pull his handle , the unlock button is not needed in this situation.

Also if the child locks are disabled , the rear passengers can unlock the rear doors by pulling the door lock knob on the door trim panel upward. Compared with the front knob they are taller with more grip FOR THAT REASON.

Yep, that's correct - They doors unlock when the driver (or front passenger) pull their door handle. I was saying No to the post above where Derekmclain9 was asking if the doors unlock when shifting into Park.

Edited by Armendegga

• 10 months later...

Is there a way to disable the whole auto lock when you get to a certain speed, This is the 1st car i have had with the auto locking doors, I forget to unlock the doors when I drop off or pick up my son from school.

this is becoming more standard with cars with power locks as a safety feature with no way of disabling them. Correction, as per user manual:

"The auto door lock feature can be enabled or disabled by your

authorized dealer per written request of the customer.

Please see your authorized dealer for service."

Edited by Psyke

I can select via uconnect settings if I want the auto-lock or not. The funny thing is that the option isn't supposed to be there (according to the manual the option should be activated/deactivated only by the dealer) and apparently I'm the only one with it.

BTW, the '90 called and want their door lock knobs and mechanical child safety back :P

The autolock feature can easily be enabled or disabled through the Uconnect settings. I found it annoying, so I just set autolock to off.

Maybe it's a feature on the 8.4"; on my 4.3, there's an option to disable to auto unlock on vehicle exit, but nothing that disables the auto locking that happens after the car hits around 15mph; as per the user manual:

Maybe it's a feature on the 8.4"; on my 4.3, there's an option to disable to auto unlock on vehicle exit, but nothing that disables the auto locking that happens after the car hits around 15mph; as per the user manual:

Yeah, I saw that in the owners manual, which is why I was pleasantly surprised to see the option in the uconnect menu. On my 8.4, the option to enable/disable the autolock is right before the "auto unlock on exit" option. It's weird that would be different with the 4.3.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

We're annoyed by the performance of the rear door locks. Even though the child locks are disabled, the rear doors do not unlock when the interior handles are pulled. We even reviewed this with the dealer when we were in for a recall yesterday.

The only way to unlock the rear doors is when the driver/passenger unlock the doors with the switch up front.

The manual states that you need to manually pull up the buttons if you are in the rear seats. This is a pain and I'm considering buying longer lock pins/buttons next time I'm at the auto parts store.

Anyone else have a comment on this.

Sure wish that the doors would unlock when you pulled the handle. Would have been nice to have electronic unlock buttons in the rear seat area.

Was this ever resolved? I just noticed that you can't unlock the rear doors of my 2011 Dodge Journey either. That pin is impossible to pull up. I don't have any kids so it's only adults in the rear seat. If I'm ever in an accident and something happens to me, the passengers in the rear would have to get to the unlock button on the front drivers side door. I don't like that at all. I feel like the back seat is a trap.

• 9 months later...

hi,

i have a journey R/T 2013 with 8.4 screen and we don´t have this option to enable the automatic lock the door after 24 kmh. in my setup just have the option "auto unlock on exit".

any one know if there is any way to enable this option, because in my country the dealers don´t know nothing and for any changes on the car cost 500 dollars or more. i pay 240 dollars just to solve a problem when i change the hi lamp , because i change for led cob, and the light doesnt work, and i return the original lamp and nothing, i lost 240 dollars for dealers mechanical.

and anyone knows how can i modify or install any module to close the windows when i lock the doors by alarm (remote key)?

thanks,

Useless . . . . what they should do, in my opinion is to simply disable the door handle/door lock interconnection that we have in front. In the event of an accident, older kids and adults might become trapped, since it is impossible to manually operate the locks in the back.

• 2 years later...
4 hours ago, Reg Simser said:

I too have a problem with failed door lock, right rear.  I've been told that I need a new Right Rear Door 'Latch'.  In looking on line I find 'latches' but on others there's no listing for latch but there are listings for ''Actuator'.  Are they the same thing?

Who told you that?