Add 3rd row

hi i wanna know is it possible add a 3rd row? i have a journey 2010 and family coming soon will be nice add the 3rd but i don't know is it possible?

It's funny most people seem to want to go the other way :) I would imagine that you would have to get new 2nd row seats as the 7 seater seats have a different sliding and tilting mechanism than a normal 5 seater.

Terry

• 7 months later...

I know it's an old post, but it could help some one out in the future. The answer is no. It is not as simple as bolting a seat to the floor. Windancer is correct about the sliding center seats but also the floor is totally different and you wont have any a/c vents in the rear or a dome light. I think it's a $1k upgrade for the third row. Well worth the money if you think you might use it.

We sought out one with the third row just in case we should ever need it. With a child in our near future, I'm sure there will be times when we have guests and need to put the kid in the back. However, I would never ask an adult over 4 feet tall to sit back there. And I agree with the previous posts, it is not really possible to add a third row.

• 1 month later...

We sought out one with the third row just in case we should ever need it. With a child in our near future, I'm sure there will be times when we have guests and need to put the kid in the back. However, I would never ask an adult over 4 feet tall to sit back there. And I agree with the previous posts, it is not really possible to add a third row.

I don't know; with the second row seats moved up just a bit, it's actually not that bad back there; I'm about 5'9 and 180lbs and while I woudln't want to do any long trips back there, it was better than I expected (seats could use a little more cushioning). In the three row configuration, I could sit with enough room in all three rows.

That said, we specifically got the third row seating for those times we have our daughters friends in the car; we have one car seat so the middle person used to get extremely cramped in our old caliber, and it seems worse now. We'll probably keep in in Cargo mode for most times, but it's nice to know we have the flexibility (as long as the wife doesn't keep storing the GG cookies back there...*sigh*)

• 10 years later...

I know you guys said the you can't aftermarket add a third row and pointed out that it wouldn't have ac vents or a rear dome light. I have a rear dome light but no A/C vents AND there's cupholders back there along the walls. Is it possible that my car can take a third row and just wasn't installed like that? ( I got it from my aunt who bought used) I don't have rear A/C and I noticed there's a large gap behind my second row where i kept dropping things, almost like where a seat would be folded down, but I had no seats here? 

ALSO, space wise, i only have the second row right now and I'm 6'2 and I really like the space both in front and back. People find it super spacious to where I am driving us all the time. 

Before I decided to buy our '14 AWD a couple months ago, I also looked at a TWO ROW 4cyl model. I wanted the 3 row over the 4 cyl. TWO row that was also available. The third row can be put in WITH A LOT OF WORK with all parts from a donor car. REMEMBER, you also have to install rear seatbelts and the rear trim panels ARE DIFFERENT, so you need to replace those as well. My friend and I discussed and looked at lenght about doing that to the TWO row I looked at, but because of the smaller 4 cyl motor  I opted for the 3.6 AWD he also had.

Not sure of your states TITLE info, but in NY it has to be stated for seating capacity. IF the same there there may be questions when they look at vin and see it was made as a TWO row. Here something like that requires a special inspection and documentation of parts source and $$. 

IF involved in an accident, and not found proper;y documentd, we here would be in BIG TROUBLE with our WONDERFUL BLUE STATE GOVERNMENT.

PERHAPS you could post an interior pic showing just what you do have for other better responses.

Edited by 5rebel9

1 hour ago, 5rebel9 said:

Before I decided to buy our '14 AWD a couple months ago, I also looked at a TWO ROW 4cyl model. I wanted the 3 row over the 4 cyl. TWO row that was also available. The third row can be put in WITH A LOT OF WORK with all parts from a donor car. REMEMBER, you also have to install rear seatbelts and the rear trim panels ARE DIFFERENT, so you need to replace those as well. My friend and I discussed and looked at lenght about doing that to the TWO row I looked at, but because of the smaller 4 cyl motor  I opted for the 3.6 AWD he also had.

Not sure of your states TITLE info, but in NY it has to be stated for seating capacity. IF the same there there may be questions when they look at vin and see it was made as a TWO row. Here something like that requires a special inspection and documentation of parts source and $$. 

IF involved in an accident, and not found proper;y documentd, we here would be in BIG TROUBLE with our WONDERFUL BLUE STATE GOVERNMENT.

PERHAPS you could post an interior pic showing just what you do have for other better responses.

plus the 3rd rear seats are not that easy or spacious as well ive had both and my 2014 is the 2 row version but i do wish i had the dual air system as it does a better job cooling the journey