Employee choice pricing on Journey in Canada

I just bought a 2011 Journey Crew and I am not a very good negotiator. The dealer told me employee choice gets you the invoice price + $25. I did not see the invoice and have no idea if that is what paid? I also paid all of the dealer fees and bought the extended warranty without negotiating it at all.

Do they have to be honest and give you the true invoice + $25? They said it was employee pricing on the 2 years extra bumper to bumper warranty with no free service included but it seemed pretty expensive (although I still bought it because I am a push over). I seen you have 60 days to cancel extended warranty....I am thinking about going to cancel and hope they offer it to me for way less because I think it is probably a good thing with all of the electronics in the car.

Did anyone else get employee pricing in Canada? What kind of discount did you get on car, warranty, fee's, etc. Thanks:)

I just bought a 2011 Journey Crew and I am not a very good negotiator. The dealer told me employee choice gets you the invoice price + $25. I did not see the invoice and have no idea if that is what paid? I also paid all of the dealer fees and bought the extended warranty without negotiating it at all.

Do they have to be honest and give you the true invoice + $25? They said it was employee pricing on the 2 years extra bumper to bumper warranty with no free service included but it seemed pretty expensive (although I still bought it because I am a push over). I seen you have 60 days to cancel extended warranty....I am thinking about going to cancel and hope they offer it to me for way less because I think it is probably a good thing with all of the electronics in the car.

Did anyone else get employee pricing in Canada? What kind of discount did you get on car, warranty, fee's, etc. Thanks:)

From what I've read, the cost should be approximately List minus 2000 (advertised discount) minus 2500 (margin)... I know that on my R/T, I dealt for 4000 off of list which would be about 500 over invoice. I'm not an employee, so Employee Choice is not for me i guess.

I have not done any dealing on the extended warranty yet, although I am interested. I think it is a good idea, as electrical problems could get quite expensive. I work at an agricultural dealership and we have an automotive mechanic who will do my maintenance, but these new vehicles are too advanced for him to repair.

From what I've read, the cost should be approximately List minus 2000 (advertised discount) minus 2500 (margin)... I know that on my R/T, I dealt for 4000 off of list which would be about 500 over invoice. I'm not an employee, so Employee Choice is not for me i guess.

I have not done any dealing on the extended warranty yet, although I am interested. I think it is a good idea, as electrical problems could get quite expensive. I work at an agricultural dealership and we have an automotive mechanic who will do my maintenance, but these new vehicles are too advanced for him to repair.

Wait until your mechanic finds the oil filter on top of the motor...... or better yet, let him look for it for a while underneath.

Wait until your mechanic finds the oil filter on top of the motor...... or better yet, let him look for it for a while underneath.

He's already had a few vehicles through with cartriges on top, so I can't pull that one on him... I ordered a couple of filters in, even though I don't have the vehicle yet. He laughs at me everytime he sees them on the shelf. Man are they small!!!

employee choice discount (from what I understand) is for Chrysler Employees, family and friends.(ONE PER YEAR) I used one for the Journey from a dear friend at the Brampton Assembly Plant.

While discussions with the salesman, he offered $25 over invoice, I was waiting for confirmation on the Employee Pricing. I declined his offer and waited for the discount.

When the deal finally came through and he found the Journey with all the options we wanted, the salesman said that even he could not buy that vehicle for what I was paying.

I got to see the original invoice (had to sign off on it too) wasn't allowed to keep a copy though. the EP discount also applied to a service contract and extended warranty. and all otion packages

Also all discounts offered by Chrysler were honored at the time i think it was 2500$ off

So I'm thinking what you were offered was a dealership employee discount.

employee choice discount (from what I understand) is for Chrysler Employees, family and friends.(ONE PER YEAR) I used one for the Journey from a dear friend at the Brampton Assembly Plant.

While discussions with the salesman, he offered $25 over invoice, I was waiting for confirmation on the Employee Pricing. I declined his offer and waited for the discount.

When the deal finally came through and he found the Journey with all the options we wanted, the salesman said that even he could not buy that vehicle for what I was paying.

I got to see the original invoice (had to sign off on it too) wasn't allowed to keep a copy though. the EP discount also applied to a service contract and extended warranty. and all otion packages

Also all discounts offered by Chrysler were honored at the time i think it was 2500$ off

So I'm thinking what you were offered was a dealership employee discount.

Thanks for your reply. Maybe if I tell you what I paid you can tell me if you think it seems about right? We got the Crew package ($25,900) with options totaling $4,600. The car came to $30,595 and they currently have a manufacturers rebate of $2,000 and then we received $2,517 as the employee discount for a total discount of $4,517. We paid $700 worth of fees plus $1,400 freight. We also purchased the 5 year 100K bumper to bumper (without service contract) for $1,825 which I was told was employee pricing but once I went home and read the forums I thought it sounded like a bit too much.

I didn't think you could negotiate anything other then the trade in and am now thinking I made a mistake......not in the car......because I love it and can't wait to get it.....but I want it for the price that I should have gotten it for.

How does what I paid compare to your deal? Everything is signed and I am picking it up tomorrow so I guess I am stuck with the deal I got so hopefully it wasn't too bad?

Edited by mgenn

That sounds like what I paid so if you got that without employee pricing I would think you did pretty good but who knows? I love cars....but hate buying them.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your reply. Maybe if I tell you what I paid you can tell me if you think it seems about right? We got the Crew package ($25,900) with options totaling $4,600. The car came to $30,595 and they currently have a manufacturers rebate of $2,000 and then we received $2,517 as the employee discount for a total discount of $4,517. We paid $700 worth of fees plus $1,400 freight. We also purchased the 5 year 100K bumper to bumper (without service contract) for $1,825 which I was told was employee pricing but once I went home and read the forums I thought it sounded like a bit too much.

I didn't think you could negotiate anything other then the trade in and am now thinking I made a mistake......not in the car......because I love it and can't wait to get it.....but I want it for the price that I should have gotten it for.

How does what I paid compare to your deal? Everything is signed and I am picking it up tomorrow so I guess I am stuck with the deal I got so hopefully it wasn't too bad?

You got a great deal on the car...$4000-$5000 is the MOST you can get off of the car PERIOD. (varies depending on model/price)

They made very little profit on the new car, but they will make some on your trade in, which is typical.

$1,825 for the extended warranty...you MAY have been able to trim it down a few hundred...maybe around $1,500... but it's nothing to loose sleep over...

I've seen people pay well over $2,000 for these. So your good here to.

As long as you got fair value for you trade in you got a great deal!

Now go out and enjoy your Journey!!!