anyone do their own oil changes

tisher73

I always do my own oil changes, but unfortunately I don't have my journey yet!! From what I've read, the cartridge style of oil filter that is used on the 3.6 is SUPER easy to change. Just open the lid and swap it out, taking care not to drip oil all over. Don't even need a filter wrench!!!

Just wondering if anyone does their own oil changes?

Fortunately I haven't paid for an oil change since 1991, that was the year I bought my first dodge from my current dealer. He is a small town deatership (45 miles away) and he tends to know everybody by their first name. One of his promises is to give you free oil changes for the life of the vehicle. I get one at 3 months or 5000kms. I normally take the 3 months due to the little amount that I usually drive. To me it is worth the 45 mile drive as they keep an eye on my car.

I am currently on my 6th vehicle from this dealer and he hasn't let me down in 20 years. He is wonderful, I guess that is one of the reasons I continue deal with him. He is very good with warranty work, I get my vehicle in promptly and effciently, it is done right the first time. Obviously this is my opinion, YMMV. :lol:

Terry

Edited by Windancer

• 2 weeks later...

I always do my own oil changes, but unfortunately I don't have my journey yet!! From what I've read, the cartridge style of oil filter that is used on the 3.6 is SUPER easy to change. Just open the lid and swap it out, taking care not to drip oil all over. Don't even need a filter wrench!!!

which brand of oil(s) will you suggest for using in the 2011 3.6?

Oil change is simple-drain plug in a good location 13mm wrench

I have the oil cooler so the filter is on an angle but still easy to get at

I use the mopar filter MO-899 and10w30 synthetic oil and change it every 5000 miles

I have ramps and change my own unless its to cold outside

• 2 weeks later...

Local dealer has a oil change package - 4 oil changes (5 qts & filter) for $69.95 and you get the 5th one free so it's really 5 or $69.95. Unless Advance Auto has a good sale, I can't even do it that cheap. Plus with the express lane service I'm usually in and out in about 30 minutes and I can get to keep my hands clean. :happy feet:

Edited by Doug D

• 3 years later...

I'm still confused on when to do oil changes. When my journey hit 4,000mi the oil change light came on. It's a little over 8100 now. Not sure if I should change now or wait till it comes on. But when will it come on? And when should I rotate tires?

Also has anyone had to switch out the batteries on one of these yet?.

I'm still confused on when to do oil changes. When my journey hit 4,000mi the oil change light came on. It's a little over 8100 now. Not sure if I should change now or wait till it comes on. But when will it come on? And when should I rotate tires?

The first one is a little early. I bet the second one is closer to 14,000 miles. I change mine when the light comes on.

I dont have the stomach to wait till the light comes on.....after about 6000 miles I start to get real nervous. :lol:

I hear you. I wanna wait for the light to come one but it makes me nervous. Plus mine sits a lot. We are starting to drive it more now but the first year we had it it wasn't driven wor work just on the weekends.

Tire rotations are done at every oil change (or the first time you notice uneven wear).

The only requirement you have to meet to keep the powertrain warranty is to change it when the light comes on, and be able to document that it was changed should the delaership question you. Past that, your responsibility for maintenance starts and ends with what is in the owner's manual.

I dont have the stomach to wait till the light comes on.....after about 6000 miles I start to get real nervous. :lol:

My brother's old Civic (an '89 that was our grandmother's before it was his) basically never got maintenance done on it while he owned it. To the point that one time he took it to a mechanic to have an oil change done, and they said the "oil" that came out of the block was more like mud. He drove it for another year or two after that without an issue (until he drove the car into a utility pole being transported on a trailer and peeled the roof back like a sardine can starting at the driver side top corner - and somehow walked away with a few scratches on his hands). Engines are more forgiving than the specs call for - because the manufacturers know that most people don't take care of them when they should.

I rotate every 6 months/6000 miles, change my oil 6 months/5000 miles. Sometimes both activities coinside or occure very close together. I usually go ahead and do them both at the same time anyway. I'll probably go to 6 months/6000 miles the next time I change the oil so they both happen at the same time always.

BFurth, do you do a tire rotation at every oil change? Certainly not saying it is wrong, just curious.

Terry

The owner's manual for the 2015 states to do a tire rotation and oil change when the oil light goes off. I just bought mine 3 weeks ago, so I can't say what I have done yet (I haven't even put gas in it myself yet :lol: )

My '10 T&C gets a tire rotation at every oil change due to the 6,000 mile interval that goes off like clockwork (light has come on at 5,500 miles save for one time). That one time, I did not do a tire rotation with that oil change (3,000 miles, and this was the time that it had been dealing with a transmission leak at a dealer, so it was getting a lot of poor usage that my wife and I don't put on it during our typical driving). I changed it early again, and did the tire rotation after the next 3,000 (oil is cheap, and my 3.8 used to burn it like gas - not so much since the valve seal replacement.)

The only thing that a tire rotation will do is evenly wear the tread across all four wheels. If you don't care, don't do it. And replace your front tires much more frequently. If you want to keep all 4 wheels within 1/32nd of an inch, get a gauge and rotate as soon as you see a difference from front to back. It does give you a chance to inspect brake linings at every oil change, so there is that.

Older vehicles with a 3,000 mile change interval had them every other oil change due to the minimal wear you'd get in 3,000 miles. It wasn't enough in that short of distance to make much of a difference. At 6,000 - 10,000 miles, it matters.

The 2012 and up T&C have an 8,000 mile oil change interval, and the tire rotation matches the oil change. The current Journey is "never to exceed 10,000 miles," with a tire rotation at the same time. Severe duty (dusty or off road) is 4,000 miles, so I would imagine the typical time is going to be closer to 8,000. For a 40,000 mile tire (like what you typically get with OEM), it might make a difference to rotate earlier, but once you're past that first set of tires and get to a 60k or 80k tread life tire, it's not going to matter too much.

I'm not too strict about rotating tires...every 12-15k miles or so (twice a year for me). I'm getting ready to put on my 3rd set of tires soon. The first two sets wore perfectly even between all 4 corners (original Kumho's and Yokohoma YK580's). Each set lasted a little over 40k miles.

I think it's unnecessary maintenance to rotate your tires more often than that (same with changing your oil before the vehicle tells you too). But that's just my own opinion...and you know what they say about opinions!

Just wondering if anyone does their own oil changes? And if so have they run into any problems. Have you needed to purchase any specialty tools other than the regular tools needed?

I do my own but im in europe and have the 2.0 diesel

mine takes a standard paper cartridge and 5w 30 synthetic (im using total ineo)

all of this is probably useless to you if you have the US version lol :D

• 1 year later...

As part of my original deal at this dealership, I get free oil changes for the life any new car I buy. I have bought 6 cars at this dealership and haven't paid for an oil change in nearly 25 years. My oil gets changed 4x a year whether it needs it or not. I only drive that car maybe 12,000 miles a year.

Terry

Edited by Windancer