Gas mileage

m.marie

What are other's gas mileage like with EX dodge journey...; have owned it for 11 months now. Most of my driving is highway driving too, within speed limit.

I've said it before, gas mileage is not a strong suit of the Journey. You can click on the "My Fuelly" logo near the bottom of my post and see what I have gotten over 60 fuel ups. While I don't drive it hard, I don't baby it either.

I put nearly 5000 kilometers on my 2010 R/T on a trip last fall to northern Vancouver Island to go kayaking and I probably averaged 11l/ 100 kms. In all fairness I was doing 120 kms/hr. through the mountains and my car was new. It has 11000 kilometers on it now and I would suspect the mileage is better.

Don't go by what the onboard trip computer in the car says because it has always been much better than the actual mileage. Just my .02 worth.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

The new pentastar should get better mileage

Should being the operative word. I really hope the 2011's get much better gas mileage than the 2009 and 2010 models.

According to my window sticker on my vehicle, Transport Canada rates my vehicle as 13.6 l/100 km. or 21 mpg City and 8.7 l/100 or 32mpg. This of course is done under controlled conditions which are ideal but in the real world it is very diiferent, as we all know.

As you can see my car is averaging 16 l/100 kms. over 60 fill ups and close to 21,000kms. or just over 13,000 miles for my neighbours south of the 49th. See http://www.fuelly.co...ndancer/journey . My gas mileage has been all over the map. We have had a very difficult winter here, lots of snow, very cold temps etc. thus necessitating longer warm ups and poorer overall driving conditions, which hurts my overall average.

I hope that this mileage will increase will now that the car has over 11,000 kilometers or approx. 6.600 miles on it and is somewhat "broken" in..

According to the people on My Fuelly that have Dodge Journeys (http://www.fuelly.co...r/dodge/journey) my gas consumption is a little high and that could be attributed to the way I drive, there is 10 cars there and it goes from a low of 11.1 to my high of 15.4 if you check my personal mileage, you will see some very different numbers. (http://www.fuelly.co...cer/journey/log)

If you look at the January 31st of this year number of 13l/100 kms., this was attained on a cold (-30° C or -22° F) highway drive of about 255 kms/150 miles.

If you look at the September 28th, 2010 number of 9.3 l\100 kms. this was attained on a trip from Lethbridge to Regina which is about 650kms.\400 miles. Incidentally I remember the onboard computer said 8.8 l\100 kms.

If you look at the September 12th number of 10.8l\100 kms. this again was attained on a trip from Lethbridge to Regina. Now anybody who knows the Prairies that is a very flat road, 70% is a dual lane highway.

I tend to drive at 120kph or about 74mph which will suck a little more fuel.

As you can see by my fuel log (http://www.fuelly.co...cer/journey/log) I am a creature of habit, I fill up at the same station most of the time. The way this station is setup (left or right fuel doors) I have only 3 pumps that I can use and I pretty well use the same pump all the time. It is because of this, that my numbers are quite accurate, ie: the same pump shuts off the same each time. I may "round" it off to the next high dollar amount but I am fairly consistent in my fillups.

As I said before I really encourage people to use my.fuelly.com so that we can compare our gas mileages. Unfortunately there is no 2011 Jouneys at (http://www.fuelly.co...r/dodge/journey). Maybe you can be the first.

I just realized you have to be logged in to see some of the links I put in my post. Sorry.......

Edited by Windancer

I have 75,000 kms on my 2009 SXT. I do not separate city from hwy mileage and my average is around 11.2 l/100km. I do have some hwy only calculations as low as 9.6 l/100 to a high of 31 l/100. The low was at 100 kph over 900 km. The high was towing 3500 lb trailer in the tail end of a hurricane with 80 km/h headwind. Really sucked the fuel that day. Every two hours stopping for a fill up. Overall I am satisfied with the fuel consumption.

Edited by BUGS

The low was at 100 kph over 900 km. The high was towing 3500 lb trailer in the tail end of a hurricane with 80 km/h headwind. Really sucked the fuel that day. Every two hours stopping for a fill up. Overall I am satisfied with the fuel consumption.

Should have stayed home that day. ha. Or turned around and went the other way. Much better mileage,,, :D

I'm at 15.36 l/100km average for the last 6000 kms.

FleshWound has provided a more real world example of a Journey's gas mileage,.

These are my stats as taken from http://www.fuelly.com which is vastly different than the sticker on my car. As you can see I've tracked my car since day 1 of owning it, http://www.fuelly.com/driver/windancer/journey nearly 12,000 kms. and 35 fills ups.The US equivelents are what My Fuelly said...... sorry I wasn't going to get out a calculator and convert everything. The first 10 or so tanks were mid grade gas and the remainder were regular. My driving consists of 70% city and 30% highway. I do get very good gas mileage on the highway but it goes down drastically as soon as I hit the city driving.

As many of you already know, I have a 2010 loaded up R/T Journey. The reason I shared this is I have nothing to hide and show some proof of the gas mileage. Don't get me wrong, I love my car, unfortunately it Does Not get the implied gas mileage on the sticker. As I mentioned in a previous post, that is done under very ideal conditions. My Fuelly is a very easy, not to mention FREE way of accurately keeping a log of you gas mileage.

There are 2 main things from what I posted that are significant. One is the gas mileage in the real world is much different that what you see on the car's sticker and two, we pay a much higher cost of gas than our American friends south of the border.

I really would be interested in the gas mileage of the 2011 Journey. As a side note when I filled up yesterday, the onboard computer said 17.3 kms, in reality it was closer to 19.0 l/100 kms. Just something to keep in mind.

Regards

Terry

Metric (Canadian)

Total Fuel-ups - 35

Avg km/Fuel-up - 348.5

Avg Price/Litre - $1.05

Avg Price/Fuel-up - $56.90

Total km Tracked - 11,847

Last Price/Litre $1.21 (+$0.08)

Avg Price/Litre -$1.16 (30 Days)

Avg Price/km - $0.16

Avg MPG - 15.2

Best km/Fuel-up - 667.1 12/09/10

Best Price/Litre - $0.79 06/09/10

Total Spent 2011 - $592.85

US Equivelents

Total Fuel-ups - 35

Avg Miles/Fuel-up - 216.5

Avg Price/Gallon - $3.98

Avg Price/Fuel-up - $56.90

Total Miles Tracked - 7,362

Last Price/Gallon - $4.58 (+$0.30)

Avg Price/Gallon - $4.38 (30 Days)

Avg Price/Mile - $0.26

Avg L/100km - 15.5

Best Miles/Fuel-up - 414.5 12/09/10

Best Price/Gallon - $2.99 06/09/10

Total Spent 2011 - $592.85

Edited by Windancer

I am really surprised that Windancer and Fleshwound are only getting around 350kms per tank. That is terrible!

My 2011 Crew has approx. 3200kms on it and I get almost 500kms per tank, every tank. My driving is only about 25% highway and I am not a light foot but I don't drive like a maniac either. Picked up my Journey on March 1st, so this has all been driving in cold weather so far.

I think that if I went really easy on the gas pedal for one tank, I could easily get over 500 kms out of a tank for my normal weekly driving.

I wonder why we have such a huge discrepancy in our kms per tank? Could it be the that the Pentastar V6 is that much more fuel efficient than the 3.5?

Edited by drb227

I have created an account on fuelly.com to start tracking my gas mileage.

Thanks, I will certainly keep an eye on it. I notice that you have 4 recorded fill ups on it. On another note do you find the onboard computer reflects what My Fuelly says. I know the older one in my Caravan was way low when compared to my actuals.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

I will be comparing what the computer says to what I get from Myfuelly on my next fill up.

I am self-employed and always write my vehicle's mileage on every fuel receipt for tax purposes, so I was able to go right back to my first fill up.

Filled up today.

60.6 litres, 455 kms. Was going to let the tank run down to see how much I could really get out of a full tank but decided to fill up today.

Fuelly.com says this is 13.3L/100km. The EVIC said 12.7. It is off a bit and that is not surprising as the car computers are rarely really accurate.

If I had been able to maintain the 13.3L/100km for the rest of the tank, I would have gotten approx. 586kms out of the full tank. This is about 70% city/ 30% highway.

On this new tank I'm going to take it really easy and see if my mileage increases much.

What are other's gas mileage like with EX dodge journey...; have owned it for 11 months now. Most of my driving is highway driving too, within speed limit.

We are on our 2nd Journey. The first was a 2009 SXT with the 3.5L V6 and while I didn't keep a fuel log like I do with my '06 Ram, we usually averaged 19-20 mpg (US gallon) in combined driving and nearly 26 mpg on the highway (long trips cruising at 70 mph w/AC on). We had the '09 for 47K miles until the dash lights went crazy (wife says Christine invaded her......LOL!). On long trips I was easily getting 350 miles per tank (filled up when it got down to a 1/4 tank)

We ended up trading it for a '10 Journey SXT 3.5L V6 and it seems to average about the same. The '10 has a roof rack while the '09 did not - doesn't seem to be a factor. Will find out when we use a car top carrier.

Regarding the Pentastar 3.6L, yes, its suppose to get better fuel mileage, but it definitely has more hp (test drove a '11 Mainstreet not long ago) - 283 hp which is 48 more ponies than the 3.5L. The Pentastar will really shine in terms of hp when direct injection and multi air (Fiat technology) makes its way into the engine.

Overall, we've been happy with our Journey(s) as they have averaged better fuel mileage than the '00 T&C Ltd AWD they replaced. The T&C only averaged 15-16 mpg in local driving which was worse than my Hemi-powered Ram (averages 17.5 mpg).

At any rate, the biggest factor in individual fuel economy is your right foot. Drive like there is an egg under the accelerator, cruise at reasonable speeds and ease up to lights when you have to stop (helps keep brake wear to a minimum).

• 11 months later...
18 l/100 KM I think is a lot gas for this

This is very high for this car, as you can see I am averaging 15.9l/100 km over 59 fill ups which to me is still high when I compare it to others on this forum. I don't mean it the way it might sound, but are you sure of the math? Is this what your EVIC said or did you work it out youself? I have a 2010 R/T AWD Journey with the 3.5 liter V-6 engine. I would think the 4 cyclinder would get a little better mileage than the V-6 although it is a fairly heavy vehicle.

Terry

This is very high for this car, as you can see I am averaging 15.9l/100 km over 59 fill ups which to me is still high when I compare it to others on this forum. I don't mean it the way it might sound, but are you sure of the math? Is this what your EVIC said or did you work it out youself? I have a 2010 R/T AWD Journey with the 3.5 liter V-6 engine. I would think the 4 cyclinder would get a little better mileage than the V-6 although it is a fairly heavy vehicle.

terry i see you have a mopar wind or bug deflector on your journey. i have been thinking of putting one on but was wondering how much it helps and do you have a problem cleaning by or under it since you have a white car like mine , that road film really shows on a white car. also does the deflector cause any wind problems with your wipers., had a problem with that on a different car years ago thanks dave

Terry

terry i see you have a mopar wind or bug deflector on your journey. i have been thinking of putting one on but was wondering how much it helps and do you have a problem cleaning by or under it since you have a white car like mine , that road film really shows on a white car. also does the deflector cause any wind problems with your wipers., had a problem with that on a different car years ago thanks dave

Dave

In all honesty I really don't see either air deflector, the one on the hood and the one on the sunroof, doing much good. Although the hood air deflector seems to keep the bugs off the windshield and I don't seem to have any problem keeping it clean behind the hood deflector, it's a Mopar one if that makes any difference. I understand the non Mopar brands extend over the fenders while the Mopar one only covers the hood, I hope this is clear to you.

I have no wiper problems at all so that is good, but the sunroof air deflector seems to cause more air noise with it than without it, of course my kayak carriers may have something to do with the noise. The deflectors look good IMO but I think their use is marginal at best. Of course this is just my own opinion though others may/will differ. ^_^

Terry

Edited by Windancer

I have an R/T AWD with the admittedly inefficient 3.5 and I average right at 16 MPG over all.

I live in a very busy suburb in a large metro area with more stoplights than you can shake a stick at. I never expected my fuel economy to be good. It's never been good for any vehicle I've ever owned. My commute is just too crappy, and I've resigned myself to that fact. It's just the way it is.

With that said, once I do get a chance to get out on the open highway, my numbers get considerably better. Over the course of almost a year of owning my Journey, the road trips we've taken have gotten somewhere in the range of 24/25 MPG. So definitely more respectable.

With that said, once I do get a chance to get out on the open highway, my numbers get considerably better.

There is no doubt if I travel on the highway with my Journey, it's fuel mileage changes a lot. It can change from 20l/100 kms. to 11l/100 kms which is huge. I guess the bottom line is the Journey does not do well in city stop and go traffic but get it out on the highway an it improves a lot.

Terry

• 4 weeks later...

Last weekend we traveled to Martinsville, VA to see a Jr College baseball game (500 mile round trip). With mostly highway driving (I-95/I-85/US 58) our 2010 Journey SXT 3.5L recorded it's best fuel mileage to date. By the time we arrived home it was well over 26 mpg at 26.9 mpg. We had the AC on cruising at 70 mph on the interstates, and 60-65 mph on US 58. Used slightly more than a 1/2 tank (12 gallons) down and 1/2 tank getting home. Would have been real close on a full tank.

Agree on city mileage - the average drops somewhat quickly in local driving.

There is no doubt if I travel on the highway with my Journey, it's fuel mileage changes a lot. It can change from 20l/100 kms. to 11l/100 kms which is huge. I guess the bottom line is the Journey does not do well in city stop and go traffic but get it out on the highway an it improves a lot.

Terry

These things are heavy, esp. with AWD dragging along, so not suprising they are alot worse in town, I didnt want AWD but didn't have any choice up here, R/T gets it