Violent Shaking with Open Rear Windows

mrcaveney

I discovered a horrendus problem with my wife's 2009 Journey. When you put the rear windows down at freeway speeds, the pressure variations start to hurt the ears, creating an unbearable sensation and then the whole car starts to shake. As soon as you put the windows up, the shaking and pressure on the ears stops. When it first happened, I thought we were losing a tire. I could not figure it out. Last week, I was on the freeway, and put the rear window down for the dog. Everything started happening again, The shaking is violent, not mild. This time I looked into the sideview mirror, and I saw the rear door sheet metal vibrating like jello!! Would love to know if others have seen this. I am taking this to the dealer this week, but i wanted to see if there are others.

Just go on the freeway, leave your front windows closed, and open the rear window (1 or 2).

Edited by mrcaveney

It is called "wind buffeting" there is a section in the manual that refers to it & yes it is very annoying & hard on the ears

I will look that up. However, in my experience, the car cannot be driven with the back windows down. I am not talking about annoying, I am talking about painful for the ears, and as to the shaking, it felt like it was shaking the car apart!!! I cannot believe this is a simple wind buffeting problem. This is a serious design flaw, with some lipstick!

I will look that up. However, in my experience, the car cannot be driven with the back windows down. I am not talking about annoying, I am talking about painful for the ears, and as to the shaking, it felt like it was shaking the car apart!!! I cannot believe this is a simple wind buffeting problem. This is a serious design flaw, with some lipstick!

Hey there, just my two cents ALL vehicals do this, it is not a design flaw, simply the movment of the wind. All of my vehicals (differant manufactuers)I have owned over the years have done this at some time or another which I will list below.

88 Chrysler LeBaron GTS

93 Toyota Celica - sometime with the sunroof open

95 Ford taurus

97 Dodge Dakota Crew cab

97 Dodge Intrepid

99 Potiac Sunfire

01 GMC Jimmy

08 Avenger

and likely my soon to arrive next week 2011 Dodge Journey.

It is called "wind buffeting" there is a section in the manual that refers to it & yes it is very annoying & hard on the ears

+1! The solution is to open one of the front windows a crack to relieve the pressure. My Ram can do this as well if the conditions are right but it's not usually as noticeable. At any rate I rarely just have one window open - usually all of them or none.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Let's see. Your driving a vehicle that looks like a rectangle. The rear window is almost straight up and down. You introduce air under pressure into the rectangle from one source and want to know why it's buffetting?! Open the front window an inch, open your back window, you will be ok. You can't keep adding pressure to the vehicle and not let it out. OR use the AC or vent system....

• 1 year later...