headlight assembly

Hi, Does anyone here knows how to replace headlight assembly?its on the passenger side..I got the replacement parts but i dont know how to replace it. Any help.. many thanks..

for BMW headlight assembly

BULB REPLACEMENT

Low Beam Headlight, High Beam Headlight, Front

Turn Signal/Park Light, Side Marker Light

1. Open the hood.

NOTE: It may be necessary to remove the air cleaner

filter housing and position the Totally Integrated Power

Module (TIPM) aside to replace certain the lights in the

left headlight housing.

2. Rotate the applicable bulb and connector assembly 1⁄4

turn counterclockwise and remove the assembly from the

headlight housing.

3. Disconnect the bulb from the harness connector and

then connect the replacement bulb.

4. Install the bulb and connector assembly into the

headlight housing and rotate it 1⁄4 turn clockwise to lock

it in place.

This is on page 462 of your owners manual.

• 3 months later...

I believe the question was in regard to the removal of the "Headlight Assembly" not the bulbs.

I too require an answer to the question.

I purchased a replacement headlight assembly and started removing the '3' screws securing the headlight.

Then I discovered the grill was in the way, the grill is attached to the bumber, so I am led to believe the whole front bumper has to be removed to replace the headlight (which sucks)

Can someone confirm this ? Please tell me there is an easier way to remove the headlight assembly.

• 4 months later...

1.Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable

.2.Loosen the front fascia on the same side of the vehicle as the front lamp unit being removed.

3.Remove the four plastic push-pin fasteners that secure the upper grille to the Front End Module (FEM).

4.Flex the fascia and grille (1) outward far enough to access and remove the three screws (2) that secure the front lamp unit to the FEM.

5.Pull the front lamp unit away from the FEM far enough to access and disconnect the headlamp and dash wire harness connectors from the back of the lamp housing.

6.Remove the front lamp unit from the vehicle.

post-4386-0-21962300-1318765430_thumb.jp

Edited by Goaltender

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

1.Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable

.2.Loosen the front fascia on the same side of the vehicle as the front lamp unit being removed.

3.Remove the four plastic push-pin fasteners that secure the upper grille to the Front End Module (FEM).

4.Flex the fascia and grille (1) outward far enough to access and remove the three screws (2) that secure the front lamp unit to the FEM.

5.Pull the front lamp unit away from the FEM far enough to access and disconnect the headlamp and dash wire harness connectors from the back of the lamp housing.

6.Remove the front lamp unit from the vehicle.

I know this is almost 4 yr old thread but Im still confsed on how to take off the headlight assembly, thus the instruction above also applies to 2015 dj sxt.

Thanks if someone can still read this and help me.

• 2 weeks later...

These instructions still apply. What exactly are you confused about? That may help get you better answers.

Its all good, my only question now is how to baked open, i already read some thread regarding baking the headlight just dont want to mess things up since this is my first time doing this. Im noob with this kind of thing but i can disassemble and put back anything as low ng as there is detailed instruction. I alread plastidip my grill, whats left to paint are the headlight and side mirrors so much dj would look like i have the blacktop.

Its all good, my only question now is how to baked open, i already read some thread regarding baking the headlight just dont want to mess things up since this is my first time doing this. Im noob with this kind of thing but i can disassemble and put back anything as low ng as there is detailed instruction. I alread plastidip my grill, whats left to paint are the headlight and side mirrors so much dj would look like i have the blacktop.

Dodge uses a sealant referred to as Permaseal and it is difficult to work with. Unless the instructions you referred to were speaking to this type of sealant, I would disregard the temps and times given. For Permaseal use a temp of 285 degrees (F) and let them sit in the preheated oven for at least 23 minutes. From there, the other instructions are likely right on. With perma seal you may need to occasionally reheat the headlight while you are working with it, as the assembly will come apart much more slowly. Take your time so you don't wreck your headlight. Here is a good video of the process...

• 11 months later...

Okay, I am replacing my headlight assemblies on my Journey.  I have read the instructions above twice, pulled out my front grill and undone the three screws, step 4.  Step 5, disconnect the wires.  Step 6 says to "Remove the front lamp unit from vehicle"  That is a nice easy instruction, but it does not say how to remove it?  Remove from inside the engine compartment or pull straight out the front?  It will not come straight out the front since the lamp in larger than the opening?  It hits on the top and on the bottom bumper.  There is a video out there that says it removes the assemblies, but does not show taking the headlights out of the car, it only shows them after the new ones are installed.   Anyone out there actually do this yet??  Replace their headlight assembly on a dodge Journey?   Looks to me either you have to bend he hell out of your bumper or take the bumper off?   Thanks for any further instruction.  Best regards, Marty

I just replaced my headlight assemblies and I did have to pull on the bumper to get them out. I did put a thin layer of tape on the bumper so it didn't get scratched, it does take some patience to get them out but they will come out. You will notice my headlights don't seem too bright but they are actually brighter than my OEM headlights. I did change the bulbs to the Sylvania zXe bulbs because the ones that came with it were not too bright. Also the amber light bar comes on only for the turn signals, I just had my hazards on at the time to show them working.

Journey.jpg

Edited by buckshot7526

Hello, thanks for your response, those are the same lights I just bought.  and you are saying the bulbs weren't bright enough?  I thought they were the projector bulbs and would be plenty bright?  Maybe I should change the bulbs as well before installing.  And I figured the led were just the turn signals.

18 hours ago, Captain Marty said:

Hello, thanks for your response, those are the same lights I just bought.  and you are saying the bulbs weren't bright enough?  I thought they were the projector bulbs and would be plenty bright?  Maybe I should change the bulbs as well before installing.  And I figured the led were just the turn signals.

Hello, when I matched the bulbs that came with it they have the yellow color to them and when I changed to the Sylvania zXe bulbs I had a much clearer white light. The bulbs that come with them are made by AU-lite which I never heard of, also once installed you will need to do the adjustment to level you headlights out. You can find the bulbs on amazon much cheaper, you will need to get the H7 low beams and H1 high beams if you do change them.

Edited by buckshot7526

FYI  These are halogen projectors, not HID projectors.  I just replaced my bulbs with zXes.  Seller had "make offer" on ebay and I got them for $32 a pair.  Package says lifetime of these bulbs are not as long as regular halogens.  But, they are much brighter in my stock Crossroad housings with the inside painted black.  Time will tell.