Dodge Journey SE Plust Model - Costing and warranty - Canada

Hi All

I just nailded a deal for a journey SE Plus (2010 model) with 3 row seating for 18,995 + HST + 240.00

There are so many confusing models and packages there is SE SECVP SE PLus so the t advertising prices are confusing.

I just wanted to see if I paid too much - 2 other dealer have told me they could not match it.

ALso the 5/100 gold plan -> 1600.00

Can some one comment on these prices ? thx.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I just nailded a deal for a journey SE Plus (2010 model) with 3 row seating for 18,995 + HST + 240.00

There are so many confusing models and packages there is SE SECVP SE PLus so the t advertising prices are confusing.

I just wanted to see if I paid too much - 2 other dealer have told me they could not match it.

ALso the 5/100 gold plan -> 1600.00

Can some one comment on these prices ? thx.

Can you tell me the last 8 of the VIN?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jareth why do u need this ? Hesitant to release in public forum.

no worries ...entering the last 8 in a VIN decoder will reveal the exact trim level you have (SE SECVP SE Plus ,ect. )

it seems that Jareth only wanted to help you .. but go there : http://www.pronto-net.com/vin_app/vin.php and type the number you have .. you learn about the built date , trim level ... and then check if you have what you paid for.

seems to be a fair deal to me for a SE Plus

It is a quasi personal question so I understand being hesitant to just throw up any details about yourself onto the i-net.

Burn is correct. Most of the information in a VIN is about the country or origin, build factory, car type, brand, model, year and serial for that line. Nothing personal in those details except that it is registered / insured to your name. What I am looking for is what model number (JCDH49 or JCDP49) and the trim package (22F or 28K). It will clear up if it is a name-changed with a package that made it a -Plus- model, or the straight up value version. Knowing those I can compare base prices and make a guess how close to cost you were.

Up here in Canada, the 2010 Journeys a JCDH49 (22F) Value Package MSRP would be around $21,570 with a wholesale cost of $20690. Yep. A whole $880 window of discounts that a dealership can give before it is below cost. Current incentives are about -$2250 for the value version, and -$3000 with no-charge DVD ($1022. $500 to $750 credit if no DVD)

Even with full MSRP $21570 - $2250 = $19320.

$19320 - $18995 = $325 "under cost"

In that aspect, you did good. +1 for you. Didn't get a discount on the warranty though, it looks like.

On the other hand, they could be splitting the Hold Back with you (An amount that is at the discretion of the dealer. Used in certain ways between dealer transfers or a little safety net. It disappears if it is a fleet deal) and also relying on a VPA (volume performance) target being met and the unit returning an extra $400 or up to $1500 per sale. Hold Back is $600 for the Journey. Most other models is $700.

It doesn't necessarily mean that the best deals are at the end of the month. Now shop on the 10th - 14th THEN near the end of the month. Early VPA bonus programs are common now, where the sale of the car before the 15th could double the VPA payout. A few sales at cost to nail the target before the 15th will return extra from every unit sold up until then. See what I mean? Hope to be in that situation when buying.

The extended warranty package you got sounds like the 415 Gold package. MSRP for a 2wd is $1450 CDN plus surcharges (none on your car I think) and taxes. Is the $240 an admin fee? Ask clearly what it is for. Refusing to pay and making a scene just might make the charge shift to something else, or just to the detriment of the sale. (Such as if there was fuel in the tank, but not filled to the top. The profit of $880 can get chewed up pretty fast and the use of the admin fee covers misc. expenses that might not apply to all the vehicles on the lot, but like the Destination Fee it is used to blanket a range of expenses.)

Sorry for the dealer-speak. Use of these codes and such are required and changes are made every year. To a customer this is exactly why you posted in the first place, eh? Even better(worse) now that Dodge is switching around terms like SE, SE-Plus, SXT, R/T, and replacing them with Cruise, Express, Citadel (I can't wait! Durango!) and others.

Later!

It is a quasi personal question so I understand being hesitant to just throw up any details about yourself onto the i-net.

Burn is correct. Most of the information in a VIN is about the country or origin, build factory, car type, brand, model, year and serial for that line. Nothing personal in those details except that it is registered / insured to your name. What I am looking for is what model number (JCDH49 or JCDP49) and the trim package (22F or 28K). It will clear up if it is a name-changed with a package that made it a -Plus- model, or the straight up value version. Knowing those I can compare base prices and make a guess how close to cost you were.

Up here in Canada, the 2010 Journeys a JCDH49 (22F) Value Package MSRP would be around $21,570 with a wholesale cost of $20690. Yep. A whole $880 window of discounts that a dealership can give before it is below cost. Current incentives are about -$2250 for the value version, and -$3000 with no-charge DVD ($1022. $500 to $750 credit if no DVD)

Even with full MSRP $21570 - $2250 = $19320.

$19320 - $18995 = $325 "under cost"

In that aspect, you did good. +1 for you. Didn't get a discount on the warranty though, it looks like.

On the other hand, they could be splitting the Hold Back with you (An amount that is at the discretion of the dealer. Used in certain ways between dealer transfers or a little safety net. It disappears if it is a fleet deal) and also relying on a VPA (volume performance) target being met and the unit returning an extra $400 or up to $1500 per sale. Hold Back is $600 for the Journey. Most other models is $700.

It doesn't necessarily mean that the best deals are at the end of the month. Now shop on the 10th - 14th THEN near the end of the month. Early VPA bonus programs are common now, where the sale of the car before the 15th could double the VPA payout. A few sales at cost to nail the target before the 15th will return extra from every unit sold up until then. See what I mean? Hope to be in that situation when buying.

The extended warranty package you got sounds like the 415 Gold package. MSRP for a 2wd is $1450 CDN plus surcharges (none on your car I think) and taxes. Is the $240 an admin fee? Ask clearly what it is for. Refusing to pay and making a scene just might make the charge shift to something else, or just to the detriment of the sale. (Such as if there was fuel in the tank, but not filled to the top. The profit of $880 can get chewed up pretty fast and the use of the admin fee covers misc. expenses that might not apply to all the vehicles on the lot, but like the Destination Fee it is used to blanket a range of expenses.)

Sorry for the dealer-speak. Use of these codes and such are required and changes are made every year. To a customer this is exactly why you posted in the first place, eh? Even better(worse) now that Dodge is switching around terms like SE, SE-Plus, SXT, R/T, and replacing them with Cruise, Express, Citadel (I can't wait! Durango!) and others.

Later!

Hi.. I Read up on the VIN number - it;s last 6 numbers that's unique to the vehicle. the first portiion is 3D4PG4FB1AT < this should tell u pretty much make model date factory etc ../

Do u work at a dealer ? I know there is a lot of smoke and mirrors, and believe it or not the dealer was forthright and divuldged they had certain "kickback" based on volume as well as the mid of month costing incententive. Let me know what u find with the VIN... cheers .

You got a pretty good deal. even if someone tell you it could be better, it would probably only be like 2 or 3 hundred dollar difference. I donno much about sales in Canada, But in US, if you can Walk out of the door below MSRP, it is a decent deal. on ur part, the dealership probably only made like $300-400ish profit off your sale, and maybe $700ish off the extended waranty.

As mentioned, you didn't get a deal on the extended waranty. And 5/100K waranty is generally pretty useless. I work in Dealer service dept, on top of the Powertrain waranty, 5yr/100K ownership will not cost you more than $1000 repair, especially when u got a Base model.

Unless you got a Fully loaded vehicle with Navigation, Moonroof, leather heated seat, etc... Bumper to Bumper extended waranty are tend to be a waste of money.