Block Heater

MaureenS

Tonight's the first time I've had to plug in the block heater on my 2010 Journey, and I'm wondering if I'm doing it right. I found the cord bundled up inside the hood and stretched it out. I couldn't find any "proper" way to pull it outside the hood, though - I just draped it over the edge of the car and closed the hood over it. It looks pretty silly hanging there over my headlight, and I'm hoping the rest of the cord isn't resting on some hot part of the engine (not that it's hot now - I mean when I drive it tomorrow!). Is there some better way to pull it out from inside the engine compartment, or am I supposed to just drive around with it dangling like that? I miss the built-in outlet my old Ford Windstar had!

I wrap the cord around the hood support, so only a small bit dangles out. I need to find a better location, but it's too freaking cold out to stand there fiddling with it.

Rod, judging by your Oilers avatar, we're in the same neighbourhood, and I agree with you!

Inferno_Red_Bullet, if you post a photo, that would be great. I'd like to find something better looking than what I have now.

I stretched mine out now, down to the grill and through (but just barely). It's just a stub sticking out from between two slats now, I had to wait until it was warm (the last four or five days have been great) so I could bend the grill a little to slip the plug end through. No banging on the sides anymore, but it's a little harder to plug in (not much slack to maneuver the plug).