Cannot Get Into Gear

The shift lock is tied to the brake light switch. Perhaps there is an issue there. There is also a manual release. The following is from the manual (pgs 307-308)

Brake/Transaxle Interlock System

This vehicle is equipped with a Brake Transaxle Shift Interlock System (BTSI) that holds the shift lever in the

PARK position when the ignition switch is in the LOCK position. To move the shift lever out of the PARK

position, the ignition switch must be turned to the ON position, and the brake pedal must be depressed.

BTSI Override

There is an override for the BTSI that allows you to move the shift lever out of the PARK position if an electrical

system malfunction occurs (i.e., dead battery). To activate the override system, perform the following steps:

1. Firmly apply the parking brake.

2. Insert the ignition key into the ignition switch and rotate it to the ON position.

3. Remove the cubby bin liner located in the center console behind the shift lever4. Insert a screwdriver or similar small tool into the hole

at the front of the cubby bin and push the manual override release lever forward.

5. While holding the release lever forward, move the shift lever from PARK to NEUTRAL.

6. Release the manual override.

Aaaargh,

this is so annoying :(

I'm OK with the vanity cover falling off. The wind noise

and even the vibrating noise when turning left. However,

if I have to take the cover off and manually disengage the

shift stick to get into drive or reverse everytime I'm gonna

lose my mind. No one else has this problem??

Its like the shift stick is locked no matter how hard I push the

brake or if I have the parking brake on etc.

• 3 years later...

I have the same problem with my 2009 journey. If I put it in park and leave it running, (like sitting in drivethrus) then try to put it back in gear the lever moves to the right then sticks and will not go into any gears. I have to shut it off and restart to get her to shift.