remote starter problem , heater not coming on

i bought a 2010 journey with factory installed remote starter.

vehicle starts ok with remote starter , the radio comes on but the heater does not come on until i turn vehicle on with key.

is this meant to be what happens or do i have a problem. i think there is a problem

thanks for your input.

Everything should work, just as if you had started it with the key. Including the heater, which is kind of the main purpose of remote start to me.

i bought a 2010 journey with factory installed remote starter.

vehicle starts ok with remote starter , the radio comes on but the heater does not come on until i turn vehicle on with key.

is this meant to be what happens or do i have a problem. i think there is a problem

thanks for your input.

I have a 2010 sxt with remote start/uconnect also.. When I remote start the fan/blower comes on with whatever setting I had left it on BUT the radio is off until I turn the key. Sounds like either a wiring issue (doubt it) or possibly need to get your pcm reflashed at the dealer.

• 4 months later...

I experimented with the remote starter today and the A/C does turn on. The only problem is that the display (for the A/C) doesn't light up and therefore giving the notion that it's off. If I place my hand on one of the vents I can feel the air coming out.

• 7 months later...

I was wondering if anyone else has had the same or similar problem here?

My wife and I recently purchased for her, a brand new 2010 Dodge Journey SXT, loaded. We're extremely happy with it thus far, it really is a great vehicle... However, when using the remote start, the heater does not retain "memory" and as such if we leave the heater on vent (blowing out the front vents) when we remote start, the heater doesn't blow out the vent. Instead, we get a light amount of air on defrost mode, blowing up at the windshield. We live in South Dakota and one of the important things for us was having remote start so in the winter not only will the engine have warmed up, but also the interior.

That all said... it DOES warm up a little inside, but not like it would if heater had retained memory settings. When we put the key in and turn it to the "on" position, then the heater memory seems to work.

I have done a lot of searching around on Google and have not found a whole lot on this issue.

The dealership after taking the Journey in said this is default behavior based upon the ambient temperature sensor, and my understanding is that sensor is somewhere up under the hood. I am guessing, but don't know for sure, that in the spring/summer when it warms up around here, that things will behave differently and perhaps maybe the AC will retain memory and will blow out vent (i.e. I don't want to have a 102 degree day and AC doesn't blow out when remote starting either)??

The dealership called Dodge to see if this behavior can be changed/re-programmed and I'm expecting to hear back on Monday from them.

I just don't understand this behavior. To me, what's the point of remote start if a given vehicle will not adequately heat/cool the interior when its needed for a specific regions climate?

Thanks for any advice/responses in advance! This seems to be a great forum!

Jeff