Shaking at higher rates of speed

karyn1582

I am a 2010 Journey that I bought in the US and recently shipped to Germany (in the Army) I got it up to 120 on the Autobahn going from Regensburg to Munich - about an hour and 15 minutes when going 120 :) - and I felt no vibrations or shakes. It was surprisingly smooth. Adding cold air intake system, some iridium spark plugs, voltage module, a performance chip and a fuel molecule module over the next month. Hoping to get better gas mileage. I as getting around 18 MPG at 120, which is very nice, but I want to see it around 25.

Will post pics when all parts are added. Also slapping on some brand new KMC Slide Blacks 18 inch rims and thinking about getting some lowering springs for it, along with smoking out the tail lights and doing a light tint on the front head lights.

Will be debadging it tomorrow and once all modifications are done will be putting some custom badges on it. This will be a one of a kind Journey that you will not see anywhere else ;)

Anyway, morale of the story, at 120 MPH, my car drove like a Benz, smooth.

Just wondering what king of performance chip you are going to use. I haven't found one for the Journey, but I'm wondering if the chip for the Avenger might work. Since it has the same engine and tranny. Let me know what you find out.....Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2010 R/T AWD and it starts vibrating around 60KMs & between 80-90kms per hour. I let off the gas , it stops , but I can make it happen again 90% of the time just by slowly accelating back to 80-90 km/hr.

I also find that when acccelating at low speeds it's slow to respond. At least now I know I'm the only one w/ this problem. But I love... checked out the Escape, & Equinox, and they just didn't compare to the Journey ....more bang for the buck.

It handles great in snow .... I'm from Amherstburg, Ontario

Okay...I apologize if this has been mentioned already as I didn't read all the posts due to my frustrating experience regarding shakes...2+ yrs with no fix.

I changed Dealers and they felt the vibration at highway speeds (wheel shakes and ass shakes)...they replaced a bad brake caliper, all rotors and then moved a bad tire to the rear.

98% fixed. I am sure it would be 100% if I buy better tires.

Hope this helps. I still have bad trans shifts though.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2010 R/T AWD and it starts vibrating around 60KMs & between 80-90kms per hour. I let off the gas , it stops , but I can make it happen again 90% of the time just by slowly accelating back to 80-90 km/hr.

I also find that when acccelating at low speeds it's slow to respond. At least now I know I'm the only one w/ this problem. But I love... checked out the Escape, & Equinox, and they just didn't compare to the Journey ....more bang for the buck.

It handles great in snow .... I'm from Amherstburg, Ontario

Mine is doing the same thing. When I hit between 80-100 kph it shudders really bad. Nothing before or after that speed. The dealer doesn't have a clue!

I bought a 2010 journey last fall and it started shaking one month later at 640kl.I went to the dealer, and they re-balanced four weels.Nothing changed.Now it has 11,000kl and 10 months of use.It still shakes.They changed the four wheel discs and re-balanced 5 times.It,s still shaking.They just don't understand.I stop wasting my time at the garage.I think I'll have to live with it.I learned to deal with it.I have to start moving very slowly, or it started shaking right away.It stops when it shifts to the second gear.I think it is a power train or thansmission problem.When I'm at around 100Kl/hr.no way to leave the gaz pedal or it starts to shake again.Dodge should do something about it.I don't know if it could be dangerous or not, but it sure is the last dodge product I buy.I planned to keep this car for at least 5 years, but I changed my mind.I'll trade it next spring.Shame on you DODGE. You can be in bankcrupcy again, I don't mind.I think I'll do what all my family did already.Go with import products.I'm almost 60 now and it took me all that time to understand.

• 3 months later...

We had this issue- shaking and engine light flashing at high rates of speed. Our 2009 RT was in the shop for over 8 weeks of the 8 months we owned it. The shaking issue took 3 weeks, 3 trips to the dealer and 2 rental cars to figure out. Ended up having to replace 2 engine cylinders, waterpump and various other parts. 2 months after that issue was resolved, we ended up having to replace the leaking transfer case. After getting the car back from that adventure, it never had the same amount of power but the dealer did not think there was a problem. This combined with various electrical issues (radio/navigation would not have power intermittently) and non-stop growling made the decision to trade this lemon an easy one. The dealer treated us fantastically and helped us out beyond what we could have ever expected (3 weeks of car rentals!)

Loved the features and size of this vehicle but could not keep it on the road reliably. If Dodge can get the reliability issues worked out, they have a winner. I went back to Jeep, still a Chrysler product but we've never had any issues with our Jeeps!

Karyn1582, I have a 2010 Dodge Journey doing the same thing. My car is in the shop for the 4th time also. The 1st time (03/31/10) I was a mile from my house and it starting vibrating real bad and the engine light was blinking off and on - went to the dealership - they told me it was the powertrain module that needed to be updated. The next morning (about 20 min from my house) it did it again going up a HUGE bridge - brought it back to the dealer, they kept it over night this time. The excuse this time was that I possibly had water in my gas. I picked up the car, did a fuel treatment and on that Tuesday it did it so bad - I thought the engine was gonna bounce outta the bottom of the car - but this time the engine light stuck. Went back to the dealership. On Wednesday, they called me and told me that the computer in the car was bad. They were going to replace the computer and Chrysler told them to soak the valves to decarbonize them. I could pick it up Friday afternoon. They told me that it was running GREAT!!! Picked it up Friday - over the weekend, it shook a little - but the engine light never came on. On this past Monday - 1 mile from my house again (going about 55 mph again) it did it again. I went straight back to the dealership. That afternoon I was called and told that they were soaking the valves that day and they were gonna soak them again over night. On Tuesday evening they called me and told me that on Wednesday they were going to take off the valve covers and check the valves. Yesterday evening they called me and told me "sure enough - the valves are caked with carbon. There was so much carbon on them that they had to chisel it off. And there was 1/4" tearing off on one of the valves and they are having to send the head to a machine shop. I am told by my service in-take man that Chrysler is telling him that it is the quality of gas that I am using.... not that I am using the wrong gas, but that the gas makers are not putting enough detergents in the fuels.... BOLOGNA!!!!!! I have filed Lemon Law! Good luck with yours!

I know this was posted a while ago...but did you get anywhere with the lemon law? I filed one myself and it was accepted, now I need to send the $250 to receive a hearing. I just want to know if it will be worth it...curious of your progress. Any info would be great.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I know this was posted a while ago...but did you get anywhere with the lemon law? I filed one myself and it was accepted, now I need to send the $250 to receive a hearing. I just want to know if it will be worth it...curious of your progress. Any info would be great.

Thanks

Sounds like its pretty common, I would have the dealer check the carbon issue.

i just saw this thread and i am floored, since i have been feeling the same thing- each time 65mph it shakes like it going to blow up. oil changes are good and up to date (3000 on dot) air filter is good (less then 3000) tires balnced ( this is what i thought it was) and still no hope. although it is less then it was when first started. it is still there...

it just drives me crazy with the shimmy feeling, i travel alot of highway for work so its like i am traped in the 65-70mph zone as a cruze.

i went to the dealer once- the blamed it on brakes- all re-done and still it acurred, i was close to an oil change so i waited a week- brought it back in.

They checked it out- did a throttle body cleaning (that i didnt approve yet try to charge me for) and didnt even change the oil ( i know so for sure).

after a 30min talk with the manager- i left with my money and havent returned.

Next closest dealer is not close at all- i will not return the dealer (above) and since my time frame in life is difficult, i have to deal with the pulsing front end...

very fusterating.

shimmy, brakes and water sensative seats are my only issues with the journey and its a shame...really.

i will try this - gas / carbon theory but I cant see why a 43K motor is suffering from carbon build up

• 8 months later...

Ours was towed to the dealer a couple months ago. Century Dodge in Wentzville, MO. The service manager is a good friend. They had it three days ( even gave my wife a loaner ) , he said he'd never seen this problem on a Journey before. With the rapidly flashing engine light and the fact it was bucking you off the road. It was a coil on top of a spark plug. The number of times the engine light flashed told them which cylinder was the problem. It hasn't been back in the shop since. Total mileage on the vehicle is 55000 miles.

Edited by TheMissouriShooter

• 2 months later...

Hey, my piece of crap 2010 journey does the exact same thing. Shaking, engine light stays on, stupid and ridiculous. Had it in to get fixed 3 times and it needs to go back again. I am so fed up with dodge I cant even put it into words. This forum is nice, knowing i'm not alone but still doesnt help! Any advise? So extremely pissed off.

• 2 years later...

i just saw this thread and i am floored, since i have been feeling the same thing- each time 65mph it shakes like it going to blow up. oil changes are good and up to date (3000 on dot) air filter is good (less then 3000) tires balnced ( this is what i thought it was) and still no hope. although it is less then it was when first started. it is still there...

it just drives me crazy with the shimmy feeling, i travel alot of highway for work so its like i am traped in the 65-70mph zone as a cruze.

i went to the dealer once- the blamed it on brakes- all re-done and still it acurred, i was close to an oil change so i waited a week- brought it back in.

They checked it out- did a throttle body cleaning (that i didnt approve yet try to charge me for) and didnt even change the oil ( i know so for sure).

after a 30min talk with the manager- i left with my money and havent returned.

Next closest dealer is not close at all- i will not return the dealer (above) and since my time frame in life is difficult, i have to deal with the pulsing front end...

very fusterating.

shimmy, brakes and water sensative seats are my only issues with the journey and its a shame...really.

i will try this - gas / carbon theory but I cant see why a 43K motor is suffering from carbon build up

I just had a similar issue it was the AGR valve that had to be replaced. It costed about $500 to replace.

• 5 months later...

Ok this is the first time I've seen this thread, but as I've been reading everything, two things come to mind, 1 dodge must hire dumb asses that know nothing about, or how a vehicle works. 2 How many of y'all have a DJ with the garbage 19" chrome clad wheels. Reason I'm asking is because I have an 09' with the 19" CC wheels, and I have found out recently that the wheels are notorious for trapping road grime and brake dust between the chrome cover and the alloy, causing the vibration/shimmy. The engine problems y'all are having is due to bad oil from the dealership and bad service practices from dodge, I'm an auto tech and my dad is an auto engineer and this is what we have come up with. I'm going to buy some after market wheels and tires, then I'm going to deweld the covers and take pics and write a documented report to send to the Chrysler corporation to see if they can start on a TSB or full recall...... Oh FYI when you get a rotation make sure you tell your service writer that front to rear no Cris cross rotation, because a Cris cross rotation cause bad tread wear and tread seperation. Hopes this helps everyone.

Edited by kbrownfocus

• 1 month later...

I have had my 2009 Dodge Journey in the shop now 3 times and am bringing it in today for the FOURTH time for the SAME problem!! It seems to only happen when I hit 60mph and higher. My whole car shakes, I can feel the vibrations in my seat, in the gas pedal... everywhere. As soon as I take my foot of the gas the shaking stops, but as soon as I put it on again it starts again. I find sometimes if i step on the gas it will resolve itself but other times not so much. The check engine light comes on but everytime i take it into the dealer it does not register the light ever going off. I am at my WHITS end!!! The replaced something in the fuel injector vlaves and exhaust valves with no help. The last time the balanced my tires to take care of the problem. Yea, that didnt help!! Any light to shed on this subject will be VERY helpful!!!

I have a 2010 Journey. After 2 yrs of 2 dealerships trying to fix the same problem I had a dealership in Arizona say it was the 1/2 shaft on the right side (Passenger side). After replacement I didn't drive it 100 yards and knew it was fixed. Have your dealership look at the 1/2 shafts. It fixed my vibration @ 60 mph.

• 2 years later...

I have a 2010 Journey R/To with 108k miles. I recently had my journey in the shop to fix and EGR valve, and my computer wiring connectors. Everything was fine for about the past week or so and just today when I reach speeds of 55 miles per hour or higher my car started shaking. I tested it when it was in park and rev the engine and as soon as my RPMs got up to 3500 it started shaking again. Has anyone officially figured out with this issue might be with theirs?