Click noise on turns

• 1 month later...
Dammit, sometimes when i turn either left or right i hear a click noise. Dammit why didnt I hear it at the dealer, is this normal, also there is also a click noise when shutting off the engine. barely 130 miles on it. Anyone else experience this?

It could be the AWD limited slip. I haven't heard it on mine yet but I had the Dodge Dakota with AWD and it clicked when I turned every time. Almost like a ratchet sound but slower. It was the limited slip allowing one wheel to turn faster than the other. AWD vehicles must do this for the front wheels or both wheels will try and go the same speed and you can't turn without one wheel loosing traction.

It could be the AWD limited slip. I haven't heard it on mine yet but I had the Dodge Dakota with AWD and it clicked when I turned every time. Almost like a ratchet sound but slower. It was the limited slip allowing one wheel to turn faster than the other. AWD vehicles must do this for the front wheels or both wheels will try and go the same speed and you can't turn without one wheel loosing traction.

Since the AWD is electronically controlled, and only engages when the car senses it's needed, I doubt that's the source of the clicking. I would absolutely have the dealers check it out. If need be, insist on accompanying the service tech on a check ride so you can reproduce the click.

I haven't had a chance to check in on the welcome forum so I'll just say hello to everyone here. So, we traded our Caliber R/T for an inferno red SXT/AWD Journey on May 19. Since May 31 with only 840 miles it has been at the dealer for repairs, grinding/clicking on left turns, vibration from trans/shifter on left turns & a terrible,foul burning odor all the time. The odor is really bad & smells like burning gear oil. The dealer has replicated all problems, replaced parts in the power steering gear box & pump but cannot find the cause of the vibration or odor. They have scheduled a Chrysler Rep. to go out & check the vehicle hopefully by Monday or Tuesday. I hope they can straighten things out because we really love this vehicle. Cliff

The AWD is electronically controlled but if you read up on it, it is front wheel drive under most conditions and only shifts power to the rear when traction is lost or under heavy acceleration. The front wheel drive requires the limited slip and it could very well be the source of the clicking.

Dammit, sometimes when i turn either left or right i hear a click noise. Dammit why didnt I hear it at the dealer, is this normal, also there is also a click noise when shutting off the engine. barely 130 miles on it. Anyone else experience this?

Check the comments in this thread. It seems that a number of people are reporting a noise with left turns in particular.

Check the comments in this thread. It seems that a number of people are reporting a noise with left turns in particular.

I suppose We have been fortunate. No smells, no squeaks or clicking of any kind in our vehicle. It may be that the top salesman at the dealer who was driving it and babying it, had it in the shop for everything he thought was wrong. Better for us!!

We have 2600km so far on our R/T

TheStewie