to Journey or not to????

Hi everyone,

I am considering a 2010 Journey SXT AWD. Currently I have 2 08 Avenger R/T's (one is modern blue other is bright silver) one of which will be a trade if I decide to get the Journey. I got the Avenger last year and am trying to figure out if the Journey deal is a definite must have. I really want a bigger vehicle to tote my daughter and her gear around (she's 3). I live in Buffalo Ny so I would like AWD.

Current offer from my dealer

2010 SXT AWD sticker price $26955 (bright silver or silver steel)

-$5000 in incentives

-current Dodge cash back rebate (I think is $1500)

give me back the money I paid for the extended warranty on the avenger to use down on the Journey

paying off what I owe on the Avenger (29,200 miles on it, bought it with close to 20k miles)

Also giving me the cargo cover and crossbars for roof rack which didn't come on the model they had. (taking it off another SXT FWD and tossing it on mine)

It's a pretty basic SXT no heated seats, sunroof, etc.

Payment a month is down to $325, which is about $60 more a month than I pay for my Avenger but insurance is cheaper.

so is it worth it?

as an all round do any thing load hauler. i can not fault the vehicle, it is so adaptable ... the multi tude of seat combinations ( have the UK spec 7 seater) and with grandkids, what more can one ask!!!!

not sure of US spec deals sorry, but for what i paid and what it is able to do, nothing here touches it!!

:shift:

Only you can decide about whether the financials are worth it but, on the surface, it seems like a decent deal to me.

I'm assuming you have taken the Journey on a test drive? It's built on the same platform as the Avenger so I imagine there are a lot of similarities. If interior space is what you're after, the Journey is definitely a step up. Probably not as sporty, though.

If you're unsure whether or not you like the ride, ask if the dealer will let you take it on an extended test drive. Mine did. I *think* many other dealers will let you do this, too. All I needed to do was provide proof of insurance and a driver's license and sign a paper saying you wont drive more than X miles/day. Being able to drive it on your "home turf" will give you a much better feel for it.

I did test drive it a few times and a friend of mine drove it. It drives nicely and has a smooth ride. I believe it has the same 3.5L as my avengers. The space inside is wonderful along with all the storage compartments. I guess if I am feeling like a sporty ride I can always just drive my other avenger RT lol.

I called the dealer about the silver steel one but they just dealer traded it so my option is bright silver or inferno red. oh the decisions...

Well, for this country boy, that would be a no brainer - Inferno Red all day, every day! I turned two trucks into one family truckster when I got my Journey SXT FWD 3 weeks ago. I had gone through a Ch7 due to a company I was president/owner of and did not think my credit would allow me to buy a car. Not so and my dealer, for whom I had built a pool, did the deal. I showed him my two vehicles and said I needed something two accomodate my three year old daughter and the new one on the way. I got a call back that they were working on a loan for me. They thought my wife would need to cosign, but when I called back, they said I was good to go. Great! Then the sales manager says, "You don't know what the vehicle is do you?" Turns out it was a 2010 Journey SXT. I drove it and thought, "perfetly competent, nice appliance". It is stone white, after all. But, three weeks in, I enjoy it more and more every day. It is plenty fast enough, sporty enough and it hauls me and the little princess around wonderfully. I can call home on the u-connect and never touch my phone, start it from my office and it is warm when I enter and play with the autostick if I get that sporting urge (am I feeling "sporting" today . . . ). Very good vehicle and I hope the reliability issues of the '09 model don't crop up. I have owned an Inferno Red Dodge before and would have preferred that color again, but appliance white is the practical color and I am okay with it. I do believe all black with the blacked out windows and trim would befit this CUV, but you would need to be fanatical about cleaning it!

• 1 month later...

I have to say, the more I drive our Journey (2010 Inferno Red SXT) the more I like it. It is my wife's car so I don't drive it all the time. But it definitly impresses me. The car's biggest accomplishment is hauling 4 adults and a 1month old child in a car seat with luggage for 4 days and all the baby necessities ( diaper bag, bottles, playpen, stroller) 350 miles to Boston comfortably. That was a long trip with a lot of stuff and there were no complaints.

• 5 weeks later...

I took it for few shopping trips with my daughter and my mom. I WAS AMAZED at all I could fit in the rear cargo. Especially with having the stroller back there. Everything we bought including some fencing fit in the back and we used the cargo cover to separate the fencing from the shopping bags so nothing got crushed. I LOVE MY JOURNEY

Plus my husband got my the husky liners for the front and rear cargo. My generic floor mats kept moving around and it allowed my carpet to get dirty so gotta love him for that.

BTW anyone know if there is like a rubber or plastic piece that covers the top of the rear bumper to protect it from scratches during loading/unloading? My moms jeep compass has a black plastic piece that covers hers and i think its great to have.

• 2 months later...

Sounds like an unbelievable deal! If they put a contract in front of you with these figures I'd sign in a heart beat.

Maybe it is your area that has these incentives?

Our deal was Supplier pricing which is 2% under invoice, with the $1500 rebate and a $500 retired Military bonus.

I felt that was a pretty good deal for ordering a vehicle to our specs. None of the local dealers had a Journey that was

close enough to what we needed. Either too stripped or too loaded, that is why we ordered the car to our liking.

Good Luck with yours