Hi

I just bought a 2017 Dodge Journey.  I have been driving it around and get used to all the uconnect features (8.4 Nav)

The vehicle has a rear DVD video LCD for watching movies in the back.

When I insert a DVD into the front console DVD player, it shows on the DVD rear LCD.

Uconnect stated that you can also watch moves on a USB stick.  I had some movies using a 32GB stick, FAT32, movies less than 1GB and used both MP4 and MKV video movie files.

When I inserted it into the USB slot in the compartment bin of the front console, it indicates "Reading USB" and then says "Files not supported."

If I put only MP3 music files, then they are read and play with no problems.

If I try to add video to the USB, then get "unsupported file error"

Can someone please tell me what I need to do or what, to watch video movies from a USB

Having to store a bunch of DVD is very frustrating as I need to change out the disc every time to watch a new movies.

Having a list on USB makes it much easier to watch movies.

Thanks

Thanks for your response.  I do plan to do this.

What I would like to know first is if there is anybody else who owns a dodge journey with the rear second row over head single screen video entertainment system as opposed to dual screens behind the driver and passenger seats.  The screen over head is hidden until you push the over head latch release to let the screen fall.

I know if I put a movie into the front console DVD player I do see the move.

As anybody had luck using a USB plug in the bin of the front console below the AUX input.

I am under the impression that the usb port is only good to play mp3 files and not any video files.

Read through this thread here. It looks like there are several issues. The first, as you suspected, is it looks like only the USB port on the dash can read video files. The second is there appears to be a maximum width / height the video can be. Also, ensure that your MP4 is using a compatible codec. The manual should provide specifics on the supported file types, etc.

I looked at my Dodge journey DVD player and it did not have the Blue Ray Logo on it.  I looked for a USB port near or under the DVD Player and could not find one.

The only USB connector I found was in the front storage bin below the front console and DVD player below the AUX connector

It looks like the only movies I can play will be from regular DVD disc.

It looks like I can only use the USB drive to play mp3 audio music.

This is really a big shame

I used a 32GB, FAT32 SD card and put into the slot above my DVD player

I created some playlists with mp3 songs, and it worked perfectly with the uconnect.

I then created a movie playlist and added some mp4 movies.

When I inserted the SD card, I saw the playlist but uconnect indicated it had no items.

I was only able to play the mp3 music, not any mp4 movies.

Is there some video format I need to use.  I used the same ideas that I mentioned for the USB flash in my first post.

Has anyone ever used the SD port to try and play movies or are we stuck with just playing music?