Nathan_K

Soft suspension / driving a boat

Hey guys.. just got my '09 Journey STX / FWD and overall I love the vehicle. I've got a couple of upgrades I want to do, and one of those things into figure out how to stiffen up the suspension. It feels more like driving a Cadillac with Air-Ride as I'm going down the road it just rolls like a ship on the sea. Any suggestions? I don't want to lower it, as I plan to switch out to BFG KO2's (17" rims) before winter for better traction in the snow, as the "street" tires that came on it pretty well suck.

Thanks!

So you want to make it ride like a dump truck?  

Just kidding, I have an 09 R/T and think it rides nice and smooth but has a good road feel. May you can change the struts to those used on the R/T’s.  Should be bolt in....

Yeah, I've been driving a F250 4x4 for the past 14 years, and my wife drives a Jeep.. soft suspension isn't exactly our style... we like a stiff suspension with low body roll. I'll check into the R/T struts and see what I can do. Thanks for the input!

Did you test drive it before you bought it?

with your previous and present vehicles I highly doubt you are going to be happy with an 09 Journey

I can tell you now the RT struts won’t make it feel like a F250 or a Wrangler. This is a car, not a truck.  It’s not a camero or a mustang either.  Maybe you need to go to a spring shop that can make something for you.  Not a lot of options available like there is for Jeep.  Good luck!

I'm not expecting it to ride like the Jeep or the F250 completely.. I'd just like to stiffen it up a bit. I'll look into the R/T option. That should help take some of the roll out of it. I'm really happy w/ the vehicle other wise.

There are a few things you can do actually... Check if the shocks have been changed, these wear down over time and can make the suspension feel sponge-like. Also the SXT has smaller rims, which means the tire has more sidewall and can make the ride softer. Larger rims with less sidewall would make the ride more stiff. Given the age I would guess the shocks need to be changed out anyway if they haven't already been. 

23 minutes ago, lmoore1436 said:

There are a few things you can do actually... Check if the shocks have been changed, these wear down over time and can make the suspension feel sponge-like. Also the SXT has smaller rims, which means the tire has more sidewall and can make the ride softer. Larger rims with less sidewall would make the ride more stiff. Given the age I would guess the shocks need to be changed out anyway if they haven't already been. 

I agree about the tires and sidewalls, but I'm planning to replace the standard street tires (which frankly suck in anything other than dry roads) with a BFGoodrich KO2 to improve traction in all weather, especially winter. I live in MD and we have snow, so traction is important. I can't put the KO2's on the 19" rims, so the 17" rims have to stay. 

40 minutes ago, Nathan_K said:

I agree about the tires and sidewalls, but I'm planning to replace the standard street tires (which frankly suck in anything other than dry roads) with a BFGoodrich KO2 to improve traction in all weather, especially winter. I live in MD and we have snow, so traction is important. I can't put the KO2's on the 19" rims, so the 17" rims have to stay. 

Makes sense! If you want to look into the shocks an easy way to test them is by grabbing the roof rail and rocking the car side to side, if after you stop rocking it continues to move (even a little bit) they should be replaced. 

The ride in my 09 RT was not any different than my present 13 Crew

Edited by larryl