RoofTop Tent?

Bryman31

so ive seen a lot of those roof top tents on every type of vehicle here in Colorado these past few weeks.  it has gotten me REALLY interested.............does anyone on here have one?  they arent too heavy, but when the car is parked and tent is up the tent itself will hold 600 lbs.  me and the wife arent that much so im good there, but how do i find out if the journey roof rack will hold us plus the tent weight?  ive actually seen a lot of subarus with these tents, i figure they cant be too much better than the journey in terms of weight up there.......

anyway who if anyone has one??  what do you think?

From the owners manual: (always a good reference)

"The roof rack cross rails and side rails are designed to carry cargo weight. The load must not exceed 150 lbs (68 kg), and it should be distributed uniformly over the cross rails. In addition, the roof rack does not increase the total load carrying capacity of the vehicle. Be sure the total load of cargo inside the vehicle plus that on the roof rack does not exceed the maximum vehicle load capacity."

"To avoid damage to the roof rack and vehicle, do not exceed the maximum roof rack load capacity of 150 lbs (68 kg)."

Edited by jkeaton

And that weight limit is why I'll never buy a roof top tent. I'd rather get a cargo pod (already have it) and cross bars (need to buy them for the Journey) and then just put the seats in the back down. It's big enough to fit a twin mattress with both rows folded down.  If I'm sleeping in the car, then it's without kids, and this storage method might be enough. I prefer close quarters for sleeping arrangements with my wife. :yup:

Otherwise, I'll set up the "portable apartment."  This is what happens when you have 4 kids and occasionally go camping. 9x13 8 person tent with a 6 1/2 foot center height. And more stakes than I ever feel like driving into the ground...