P2305 and 2311 codes.

My wife's 2014 Journey SE 2.4 liter had the check engine light come on recently. I pulled the codes and got P2305 and 2311. Cleared codes and they returned on next start up.

Both codes were for Secondary resistance on Coil B (2305 no. 2 cyl ) and coil D (2311 no. 4 cyl.) The vehicle was purchased new in November 2014, and has 5300 miles. I found it improbable for and engine with less than 6K miles to have coil or plug issues, but I pulled the coils and checked resistance. All coils were reading the same resistance across terminals and from terminal to spark plug contact. The no. 2 and 4 plug resistance was lower than no. 1 and 3. I replaced the plugs with NGK Iridium gapped at 0.44. Still getting codes, 2305 and 2311, but engine runs fine, accelerates quicker with no hick ups. I did swap 1 and 2 coils as well as 3 and 4 coils to see if the codes changed. No change there.

The vehicle is no longer under factory 36 month warranty.

Any suggestions would be  greatly appreciated.

Edited by Copperhead14

Sounds like you are going to have to take it somewhere to get it looked at. Engines aren't really designed to sit for extended periods of time, and it sounds like it hasn't been running much at all, the issue may be tricky to find. When an engine doesn't run much it causes issues everywhere, corrosion, seals, internal lubrication, buildup in fluids, etc. You said "Accelerates quicker" in your post.... do you mean that you noticed a gain in performance when you did change the coils? If so it could take some time for the code to clear. I'd recommend leaving the battery unplugged for a while (about 30 mins to an hour) to reset the computer. If that doesn't work then you should definitely take it to get looked at. 

are you saying the journey is running fine now ,,except it is showing the codes? if so just use it as is and see if the codes will go away after some use................. .also i believe the 2.4 uses the copper plugs not the ones you used...keep us informed on what happens.

Edited by 2late4u

My wife usually drives the car at least once a week for short trips ( less than 30 miles ). I always felt the car accelerated poorly, due to a small motor in a large vehicle.

There was never any hesitation  or misses. I kept the original plugs and I may reinstall them. I drive a 2008 Chevy HHR with a 170 hp 2.4 liter running iridium plugs (oem).

I thought that would be an upgrade.

Like I stated previously, the vehicle runs fine and acceleration seems smoother and quieter.

I'll due some more driving with it to let it go through some start cycles and see what happens.

Thanks for the feed back.

Use copper on the 2.4, not iridium. The Chevy EcoTec engine used iridium plugs.  The only thing that EcoTec and the Chrysler World Gas Engine (the full name of the 2.4L in the DJ and many other Mopar vehicles) have in common is the displacement and the grade of fuel they use.

I second the suggestion to disconnect the battery for 30 minutes while having the 1/2 and 3/4 coil packs swapped (you already replaced all four plugs - albeit with iridium).  If the problem follows the coil pack, then you have your answer.  If the problem stays where it is, I would think it's a wiring problem.  If you get 4 new problems - rip out the iridium and replace them with copper, then test everything again.

I cleared the codes with my code reader, but they come right back at start up. Put the original plugs back in and cleaned connectors at the coils and PCM.

No change. Same codes. Took it for a ride  and again, ran fine. I think I will try to put some miles on it this weekend and see if they clear on there own.