ewwww flying ants love my journey

mrsray

HI!  I'm a new journey owner, had my 2010 journey about 4 weeks, now.

Here in sw florida, flying ants LOVE my journey more than i do ... the pics were AFTER I drove to work 12 miles at 60mph ... stuck on the car.  it was a rainy day and they were there ALL DAY.  

dang love bugs are also out, but are no where near a problem as these flying ants right now.  Its always first thing in the morning this happens.

There have been at least 3 occasions that I know of where they are just ALL OVER it, layers and globs. 

Sunny days, they do tend to be off the car by noon time, but leave little spots of black, showing they were there.

No other cars I have had in the same yard, parked in the same spot have ever had this problem... none of them were white either, I've had red and teal, with nothing like this happening.

is it the color?  is there a way to prevent this other than getting a car cover?

it's really grossing me out and i worry about them getting in the vents etc to get IN the car

thoughts?  ideas? 

thanks in advance

antsAllOver.jpg

antsBunch.jpg

antsCloseup.jpg

Edited by mrsray

looks more like termites to me, have you  noticed any other peoples white cars  covered with them? might spray your car once in a while with some bug spray or move i guess...

Edited by 2late4u

hmm, on a close look they seem to be more pinched in the waist, that the pics dont show to well ... which makes them seem like ants to me.

cant move  LOL

so i guess bug spray 

oh and no, have not seen any other white cars with this ...but i live in the woods and don't see to many other white cars around

thanks for your reply

Edited by mrsray

yup and a friend just told me 'tis the season' ... once rainy season begins here, this is what happens, been here for 10+ years and yet to have this happen till now on a car .. or see so many at a time like 'swarms'

Apparently this is mating season for them and they are leaving 'love marks' on your car. Never had this issue thankfully, but showed the picture to a friend and he was familiar with it when he lived in your area. Supposedly it gets this bad every few years when certain things all line up (weather, moisture, heat, etc). I can just imagine my wife's reaction if this ever happened to her :arrive_alive:

• 4 weeks later...