Low/high odometer readings

Neto

I don't think I've seen one here, but many forums have a thread where folks sort of brag about how many miles they have on their vehicles.  This is the opposite in our case.  We purchased our 2009 Journey in December of 2010, and it's been one of the very best vehicles we've owned.  Ours is the 4-banger, and sure, it's a bit wimpy on the hills, and you don't get into races with this thing.  Anyway, we bought it low miles, and it just passed 80,000 miles.  (We don't travel a lot to start with, and we've taken my work vehicle, a 2010 Dodge Caravan on several longer trips since we bought it a few years back.)  My only disappointment was when I was signing the papers, realizing that it was not built in the USA, but in Mexico.  Nothing against Mexico, I just like to drive vehicles built in the country where I'm living.  So when we lived in Brazil, we drove a Brazil-built vehicle.

Not sure I understand where you are going with this. . .  My 2011 is a great vehicle too.  Just crossed over 75000 miles on the V-6.  Mine was manufactured in Mexico too.  By an American company utilizing American engineering, supplying a good number of American jobs, sold at American dealerships. . .  I could go on.  Many American companies do business abroad.  I'm no economist, so why the focus on the manufacturing part?

Peace. 

The deal about it being built in Mexico was just an aside, not intending to make any point at all.  It's just a personal quirk, I guess.  One might say that there is a general principle taught in the Old Testament, that no matter where you live, you should seek the prosperity of the country where you live.  So when in the USA, I try to buy American.  I did not intend it as a criticism.  (I am a systems builder, and almost none of the parts I use are manufactured here in the USA.  But that seems unavoidable.  I know that it is a world economy now-a-days.  I just got off topic on my own thread, on the first post.....)

I think most people like seeing that they got their value out of the vehicle when they mention the high mileage... It is also a way to let people who are just researching the Journey and "passing through" the site know that it's not a bad investment. Either way it's great that you have enjoyed your DJ!

In relation to it being built in Mexico, not a single vehicle is strictly American, and I'd be willing to bet quite a bit of money that not a single car anywhere uses parts from just one country (aside from Tesla). The Journey was being built in Mexico when under the Daimler era, when Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep were going through very rough times. They made that decision as a cost move, and because the Avenger (which the journey shares a platform) was being built there as well. The automotive landscape is very reliant on global business for profit, which is why it is hard to find vehicles designed, engineered and built in a single country. Dodge, Ford, Chevy are all American brands that built the auto industry in this country so you definitely bought as American as you can! 

16 minutes ago, lmoore1436 said:

I think most people like seeing that they got their value out of the vehicle when they mention the high mileage... It is also a way to let people who are just researching the Journey and "passing through" the site know that it's not a bad investment. Either way it's great that you have enjoyed your DJ!

In relation to it being built in Mexico, not a single vehicle is strictly American, and I'd be willing to bet quite a bit of money that not a single car anywhere uses parts from just one country (aside from Tesla). The Journey was being built in Mexico when under the Daimler era, when Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep were going through very rough times. They made that decision as a cost move, and because the Avenger (which the journey shares a platform) was being built there as well. The automotive landscape is very reliant on global business for profit, which is why it is hard to find vehicles designed, engineered and built in a single country. Dodge, Ford, Chevy are all American brands that built the auto industry in this country so you definitely bought as American as you can! 

Last year Tesla was the only car company to assemble 100% of their cars in America. The only others that came close were Jeep, Cadillac, and Dodge which barely broke 80%. Tesla makes 100% of their cars in California.

4 minutes ago, jkeaton said:

Last year Tesla was the only car company to assemble 100% of their cars in America. The only others that came close were Jeep, Cadillac, and Dodge which barely broke 80%. Tesla makes 100% of their cars in California.

Yup! I mentioned that Tesla is 100% American... But I bet they would be MUCH more affordable and accessible to Americans if some either parts or manufacturing were outsourced. They are brilliantly designed and engineered but their manufacturing process and quality control don't measure up to the amount of money they charge. 

1 hour ago, lmoore1436 said:

Yup! I mentioned that Tesla is 100% American... But I bet they would be MUCH more affordable and accessible to Americans if some either parts or manufacturing were outsourced. They are brilliantly designed and engineered but their manufacturing process and quality control don't measure up to the amount of money they charge. 

Their presumed cost to value ratio doesn't quite add up.  They are fantastic vehicles (I've gotten a chance to ride in an X - it's impressive to say the least), but they are outside of the price range of most consumers.

They are pushing technological advancements though. Elon Musk has his hands in a lot of different pots.  Public transportation with the hyperloop and the means to deploy it (The Boring Company), solar power generation (their purchase of Solar City and the solar shingles that Tesla is starting to produce), energy storage (PowerWall), satellite broadband internet (Starlink project at SpaceX), and fully reusable rocket boosters (Falcon 9, expected to be replaced with a fully reusable rocket in the Big Falcon Rocket).  It's almost like he's planning for humans to leave this planet and still be able to function... http://www.planetary.org/blogs/jason-davis/2017/20170929-spacex-updated-colonization-plans.html