2013 RPM acceleration issue

jsmoritz

So my Journey starts fine but will not exceed 2500 RPMs. It SLOOOOOOWLY accelerates and cannot exceed 40 mph. I plugged in a code reader and returned these codes:

P0123, P0222, P2135, P0562

The battery was taken out and tested. In addition, we bought it in this condition so the previous owner may have messed things up by jump starting the car, etc. I read somewhere that it could be:

The throttle body assembly or the PCM? needs to be reflashed

Any help on anything else to try or what to try first?  Thank you.

P0562 is a low battery voltage error code, and it can happen from doing nothing more than attempting to jump start another vehicle.  It is triggered when there is a 10V measurement from the battery for 60 seconds while the engine is running.

All of the other error codes you're encountering are throttle pedal/body position/voltage warnings.

For a 2013 - is that the original battery?  If so, forget testing it, and ignore any test results with it. Just replace it.  A 5 year old battery is on borrowed time as it is.

As for the other three issues, it could be the throttle, it could be the throttle pedal.  It could be an underlying voltage problem causing everything.  Start with the battery and work your way towards the throttle body.

If it is a failed throttle body, the replacement procedure is not that bad for either 2.4L or 3.6L.  Procedure is disconnect battery, remove the intake resonator, remove the throttle body electrical connector, remove throttle body, clean mating surface, reinstall (this is not an exhaustive list of steps, nor is it intended to be).  The 2.4L does have a computerized re-learn procedure, so you might want to look into whether or not you can do it without a scan tool (I don't know, and usually the online manual I use tells you if there is an alternative).  The 3.6L does not mention any specific re-learn procedure.

Edited by bfurth