Saying good bye to the 2010 Journey after 4 weeks

Mr. Fix it

Well after almost 4 weeks of ownership we will be saying goodbye to the 2010 Journey we bought April 9th. the selling dealership was a local Honda.

It passed inspection but I think not by very much.

I revisited the dealership many time and with estimates to bring it back to factory spec but they kept hiding behind the fact that it passed inspection so they have no legal obligation to do anything more.

I found out that this Journey line has suspension issues and no matter how many times I fix this it will come back again.

simply a poor design.

The total to replace all parts to new is close to $3000cdn and I am not prepared to live with this.

It is my first daily domestic driver in years and I was very disappointed with the reports.

I just didn't do my home work on this like I usually do. Shame on myself for that...

And i also lost all faith in this journey thanks to the dealer not wanting to work with me

In fact last evening i was driving behind another Journey and the rear tire on the driver side was deflecting back and forth as they turned the corner at a stop light.

Not sure how he didn't notice the lack of control going down the road.

So I have taken a big leap of faith last evening and signed on for a B/N Grand Caravan Crew Plus and added the max full Chrysler warranty to protect against issues.

The real kick here is the add on's after the fact of beating the dealer down for the base prices.

With financing required this if we let the full term run will set us back over $50,000cdn

This is by far hands down the most expensive purchase for transportation i have ever made in my life.

But again I have to show faith that we will be making a sound investment for hopefully many years of service with the Caravan.

13 hours ago, Mr. Fix it said:

Well after almost 4 weeks of ownership we will be saying goodbye to the 2010 Journey we bought April 9th. the selling dealership was a local Honda.

I revisited the dealership many time and with estimates to bring it back to factory spec but they kept hiding behind the fact that it passed inspection so they have no legal obligation to do anything more.

I found out that this Journey line has suspension issues and no matter how many times I fix this it will come back again.

simply a poor design.

The total to replace all parts to new is close to $3000cdn and I am not prepared to live with this.

It is my first daily domestic driver in years and I was very disappointed with the reports.

I just didn't do my home work on this like I usually do. Shame on myself for that...

And i also lost all faith in this journey thanks to the dealer not wanting to work with me

In fact last evening i was driving behind another Journey and the rear tire on the driver side was deflecting back and forth as they turned the corner at a stop light.

So I have taken a big leap of faith last evening and signed on for a B/N Grand Caravan Crew Plus and added the max full Chrysler warranty to protect against issues.

The real kick here is the add on's after the fact of beating the dealer down for the base prices.

With financing required this if we let the full term run will set us back over $50,000cdn

This is by far hands down the most expensive purchase for transportation i have ever made in my life.

But again I have to show faith that we will be making a sound investment for hopefully many years of service with the Caravan.

the mopar full warranty should cover anything down the line in repairs, congrats on the purchase

17 hours ago, Mr. Fix it said:

simply a poor design.

Wow! So sorry to hear about your experience with the DJ. Makes me think if I made the right choice. However, since you bought a 2010, is it possible that your particular car has that issue? My used 2016 DJ with less than 20K miles show no such issues with the suspension. But it is a Crossroad Plus with the touring suspension for what it's worth.  So did you trade the DJ in? How much did you lose on the DJ in 4 weeks?

5 hours ago, NickSP said:

Wow! So sorry to hear about your experience with the DJ. Makes me think if I made the right choice. However, since you bought a 2010, is it possible that your particular car has that issue? My used 2016 DJ with less than 20K miles show no such issues with the suspension. But it is a Crossroad Plus with the touring suspension for what it's worth.  So did you trade the DJ in? How much did you lose on the DJ in 4 weeks?

You're likely good to go but keep a close eye on things like strangely worn tire patterns.

Regular inspection by a trained Dodge mechanic who knows what to look for & know how to properly test the suspension will save you a lot of grief.

Strange road wandering as you drive.

Research will indicate the new suspension if there are redesigns for the newer models

Unfortunately, i was following another DJ about the same year as mine & the driver was totally unaware that the left rear tire was going down the road doing its' own thing especially when they turned a left corner at the intersection.

The top of the tire deflected in and out about 2 inches

It even appeared to hook a bit when changing lanes

Scary stuff but they were totally unaware. I tried to catch up with them but they took off like a rocket and I had reached my destination. (The new dodge dealership):) where my new Caravan is waiting for me.

3 hours ago, leafsby1 said:

Are the 2012 models plagued with suspension issues?

I would not use the word "plagued". That's kinda harsh...lol...and the majority of the issues are of clunks and thunks sounds from the strut bushings. Some people live with them, other people use it as an excuse to "never buy a dodge again".

Edited by jkeaton

• 2 weeks later...

Damn!

50k for a Caravan.....that hurts :(

For that kind of coin, you could own a Pacifica....it’s like the Bentley of Minivans LOL

I can only say it “that way” because when we traded in the 2015 Escape Titanium for the Journey...it turned the Journey into a 60k+ vehicle LOL

So I very much know your pain :(

That being said, we picked up a B/N 2017 DJ CR AWD and aside from horribly paved roads, our Journey rides nicely!

The Journey is right at home on the highway or any 80km/h+ road/hywy but as I said, rough roads, not so much....suspension no likey LOL