TPMS module Faulty? Or bad sensor?

Chiller449

I have a 2012 Dodge Journey 2.4 2wd. When i bought the car it said service tpms. It said the driver rear tire didn't exist or didn't have a sensor. (just 3 little lines.) I replaced the sensor with a new one from Autozone. When I removed the old one it had the same numbers on it and same frequency as the new one. I installed the new one and inflated it to 36 psi. Ive driven the car over 3,000 miles now and its still doing the same thing. I didnt disconnect the battery  Maybe I should have? I rotated the tires the other day so that tire with the new sensor is on the front now. My dash still shows that the driver rear tire is dead. Shouldn't it have moved to the front? Or is maybe that sensor or module in the wheel well faulty.

google you tube for great info on most repairs.............my daughter just spent $250.on repairs to her sons car that was using coolant and after they gave it back to her after replacing thermostat and flush an something else ,2 days later it is still using coolant. i googled the car model and coolant leak took me 2 minutes to see this car has a bad history of leaks at the heater elbows that go thur the serpentine belt tensioner  bracket and so i washed it off at the car wash drove it for a few minutes and sure enough it was leaking just a little bit at that elbow , so at least we know what to do next but you tube videos are a GREAT info for problems.

3 hours ago, Chiller449 said:

Any ideas on how to replace the pick up sensor? Or where its located even?

from what i seen they have a special tool that connects to the car that interacts with the main tpm modual and that has to be done soon after installing the new tpm. havent had any experience yet with problems from the tpm but i bet you are going to have to make a trip to a garage for service on your journey. good luck and keep us posted 

7 hours ago, 2late4u said:

from what i seen they have a special tool that connects to the car that interacts with the main tpm modual and that has to be done soon after installing the new tpm. havent had any experience yet with problems from the tpm but i bet you are going to have to make a trip to a garage for service on your journey. good luck and keep us posted 

Hmm, alright ill have to do some digging. Gonna try and disconnect the battery for a bit before i take it in to get serviced. Hopefully its just something i can replace at home without having to have a garage do it. 

7 minutes ago, jkeaton said:

Most tire stores will have the tool that syncs the sensor to the onboard module. 

Well when i got new tires i had tire barn install the new sensor. I asked them if they had to program it and they said no its a dodge so it should program itself after so many miles. Well it never did anything. I went back to tire barn a few weeks later and they walked around the car with some kind of tool with an antenna on it and said all were giving off a frequency except the new one. So that made me think that maybe the new one was broken or something. The other day i moved that tire to the front but on my dash it still says the rear tire has no reading. So im not sure if its the module in the car of if its the sensor on the wheel that's bad.

5 hours ago, Chiller449 said:

Well when i got new tires i had tire barn install the new sensor. I asked them if they had to program it and they said no its a dodge so it should program itself after so many miles. Well it never did anything. I went back to tire barn a few weeks later and they walked around the car with some kind of tool with an antenna on it and said all were giving off a frequency except the new one. So that made me think that maybe the new one was broken or something. The other day i moved that tire to the front but on my dash it still says the rear tire has no reading. So im not sure if its the module in the car of if its the sensor on the wheel that's bad.

did you ever disconnect the battery for a while? it may be holding onto the old code after moving the wheel, good luck but sounds like a trip to the dealership for an expensive visit if its something you cant live without.

Edited by 2late4u

So I had the battery disconnect for about an hour. I reconnected it and after switching everything over from metric to US, drove home. About 20 miles. It still says the driver rear tire has no data. At this point I'm farily certain it's the tpms module and not the sensor on the wheel. Anyone have any idea what the dealer is gonna charge to take a look at it?

For the $100 diagnostic fee, you could fix it yourself. The module is located in the left rear wheel well behind the splash guard, held onto the body by two nuts. The re-learn procedure for a new module is to let the vehicle sit for 20 minutes, then drive it for at least 20 minutes above 15 mph.  You've already done the basic troubleshooting (rotating tires and watching to see if the failure point moves).  It's not the wheel sensors or the problem would have travelled with the bad component.

I think this is the right part number: 56029542AD (Module - Tire Pressure Monitoring).  It's less than the diagnostic fee to determine if it is the failed component (multiple sites listing for around $95). Check with a dealer for the correct part number before putting money down for it.

7 minutes ago, bfurth said:

For the $100 diagnostic fee, you could fix it yourself. The module is located in the left rear wheel well behind the splash guard, held onto the body by two nuts. The re-learn procedure for a new module is to let the vehicle sit for 20 minutes, then drive it for at least 20 minutes above 15 mph.  You've already done the basic troubleshooting (rotating tires and watching to see if the failure point moves).  It's not the wheel sensors or the problem would have travelled with the bad component.

I think this is the right part number: 56029542AD (Module - Tire Pressure Monitoring).  It's less than the diagnostic fee to determine if it is the failed component (multiple sites listing for around $95). Check with a dealer for the correct part number before putting money down for it.

Thanks for the info, Ill definitely check into it!

There is only module for all 4 wheels. It's a single electrical connector and two nuts that attach to the studs inside the wheel well. You'll need to raise and support the rear end of the vehicle so you can remove the wheel to gain enough access.  Including the re-learn procedure, this shouldn't be more than a 1 hour job.