Certified ?

Bill1

This question could apply to any vehicle but in this case the DJ, I am currently looking at 6 or 8 different DJ's  and deciding on what I am willing to compromise on options and on watching where the price will go, some are certified and some are not. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why one would be certified and another is not.  What criteria do dealerships use to list one vehicle as certified and another not ? From where I set If it is not it bodes the question "So whats wrong with it?"  For example there is one I am looking at that is not certified it is as new or newer and has similar or less mileage and similar carproofs then others that are certified it makes no sense........

As always your opinions are valued

All the Best

Bill

So certified means that everything has been looked over and replaced if it doesn't meet the manufacturers specifications (electronics, mechanical, suspension, tires, brakes, anything that is wear/tear included). Certified also means that if it is over the 36k bumper to bumper warranty is up, that the coverage will be extended. Most manufacturers extend it an extra year or 12k miles. You'd also have the option of purchasing the mopar extended lifetime warranty without getting the vehicle inspected (since it was just "refurbished" to the manufacturers specs). 

4 minutes ago, jkeaton said:

Every dealer will have their own set of rules to deem a vehicle "certified".  Best to check with each one. IMO, it's nothing  more than a marketing gimmick desigend to lull you into a false sense of security about a particular vehicle. 

The certified requirements are actually defined by FCA, and the inspection/replacement criteria are set by them as well. Here is the FCA website describing what their definition of "certified" is and what is necessary. http://www.certifiedpreowned.chrysler.com/ 

So what I am getting here is to some extent the dealer looks at the vehicle and asks "if I certify this vehicle can I increase the asking price enough that I get extra profit"  or in other words "if I certify this vehicle will I get my money back or how will it effect my bottom line". Its a cost of required repairs to meet certification versus asking price of the vehicle.  So from my perspective the question remains "whats wrong with it the dealer is unwilling to certify it".  Not that I am looking for a reason for the dealer to put the price up ;)

All the Best

Bill

1 hour ago, Bill1 said:

So what I am getting here is to some extent the dealer looks at the vehicle and asks "if I certify this vehicle can I increase the asking price enough that I get extra profit"  or in other words "if I certify this vehicle will I get my money back or how will it effect my bottom line". Its a cost of required repairs to meet certification versus asking price of the vehicle.  So from my perspective the question remains "whats wrong with it the dealer is unwilling to certify it".  Not that I am looking for a reason for the dealer to put the price up ;)

All the Best

Bill

You got it! There are other factors too... like the purpose it was used for. Rental vehicles and fleet vehicles normally won't be certified. Which there are a lot of DJs as rental cars so that may be a factor as well. 

The question is whether or not it is "factory certified" or if it is "dealer certified."  As an industry practice, a factory certified (Certified Pre-Owned) used vehicle will be in "as close to new as possible" condition - little wear, few if any barely noticeable cosmetic issues, no history of accidents, well maintained (with records), etc. Basically, you can tell with certainty that the vehicle is in the best possible condition that it can be.

Then there's dealer certified - which isn't worth the window paint that was used to write it on the windshield.

It's all still a gamble.  If you aren't familiar with working under the hood and how to check for obvious signs of failure on suspension and drive components, have a trusted mechanic look at it before you spend any real money.  Depending on the state, you may also have a 3 day return window for a full refund.

20 minutes ago, bfurth said:

The question is whether or not it is "factory certified" or if it is "dealer certified."  As an industry practice, a factory certified (Certified Pre-Owned) used vehicle will be in "as close to new as possible" condition - little wear, few if any barely noticeable cosmetic issues, no history of accidents, well maintained (with records), etc. Basically, you can tell with certainty that the vehicle is in the best possible condition that it can be.

Then there's dealer certified - which isn't worth the window paint that was used to write it on the windshield.

It's all still a gamble.  If you aren't familiar with working under the hood and how to check for obvious signs of failure on suspension and drive components, have a trusted mechanic look at it before you spend any real money.  Depending on the state, you may also have a 3 day return window for a full refund.

Dealer certified was what I was referring to in my above post. Those criteria can vary wildly from dealer to dealer.  So the question is, dealer or factory certified?