2013 RT Seized Calipers

Just went to change my brakes (65k miles).

Out of four calipers three were completely frozen at the caliper slides. The pins had literally no grease and they are rusted bad. 

I got two of the three unstuck and got what corrosion I could off and greased the ever loving heck out of them. The fourth caliper is currently sitting on the car in my driveway waiting to be taken off and brought to the dealership tomorrow. I would bring the whole car in but I can’t drive it due to the caliper being messed up.

Did they have a really crappy seal put on them or did they forget to grease them at the factory? I’ve never once taken brakes off and had 6/8 caliper slide pins froze up. 

Wife drives the car car and apparently didn’t notice the brakes weren’t working that well.... smh.

Good news is I’m fully expecting dodge to cover this under my lifetime warranty, hopefully they’ll just give me the caliper so I can go home and have my wife drive to work in the morning. 

first off the factory doesn't grease them they come in from the supplier ready to be put on,yes its possible they didnt get greased from the supplier, second i just did my 2014 70 k on the pads they looked almost brand new(oh well) but i did add some slide pin grease as they did look a little on the skimpy side but dont overload them as they need room in the boots.i live in Al so we dont get much snow, more ice and they really dont salt the roads so my work is a lot easir then northern states.and no they wont give you the caliper and if they do cover them they would be the ones doing the work and with my mopar max warranty i have a 100, ded. any ways maybe you dont have a ded. good luck on what ever happens and report back to the forum....

Ended up bringing the caliper into the dealership, they did not give me the part. Ended up having to tow my car in to the dealership, it is covered under the warranty. But now they are refusing to do the repair unless I also pay $150 to have my brakes flushed since the caliper was removed. I’m just using my AAA to have the car towed back to my house, they are giving me the part for the $100 deductible and I’m going to flush the brakes myself at home. No way I’m pay $150 for a brake flush...

hope every thing works out for you, i am surprised they are giving you the part for you to put on,let us know how everything works out for you. as jkeaton says not to bad of a price for them to put the new caliper on and i would have had them recheck the other 3 caliper and pins to make sure they were okay( just so it would have been on record that they had been corroded also) just to be safe and then let them do the  fluid flush as if that doesn't fix everything then it is still on them, if you have problems at home now they might not cover the repair. good luck...

• 3 weeks later...

If its just your slide pins at fault, then I think that should be inspected / serviced under a normal standard service.

If the same dealer has previously serviced the car and neglected this, then they may be covering their own ass by passing it back to you.

I'm distrustful of dealers at the best of times!

FYI, I've had to replace 2 calipers in 8 years of ownership (since new), 1 after 5 yrs & the other just last month.  IMO, I don't think that's too bad.

I now do my own servicing & maintenance, so I've just myself to blame.  Not necessarily a good thing! ;-)

Overall, though, I like the car & its given me good service over the years.  If I could buy a new one, I would (NLA in Ireland).

Good luck

That requirement for you to pay for the flush isn't outrageous.  You paid for a maxcare warranty, brake calipers are a covered component. If you bring them an opened brake hydraulic system, they're going to charge you to fix it (unless it was caused by a failed caliper piston seal).  You took it apart, they would have to put it back together, and "user interference" is not something covered by the warranty.