255/55/19's will fit on Journey - no lift or spacer required!

SemperFied

not trying to rain on your parade but you are going to be off almost 1 mph at 20 mph and almost 3 mph at 65 mph just for the sake of bigger tires which might cause some problems in a small fender bender or really rough azz road, oh well to each their own.and one final thought if you live in a snowy rejoin the build up of ice and slush could cause concern for tire clearance but as i live in sunny AL no such problems for me just the pollen avalanche that we get during the spring that changes my silver journey into a yellowish green color... good luck and keep it between the ditches ..

Not raining on my parade, I've put larger tires on almost all my vehicles and understand pros and cons.  I'm not worried of what might be, I know the benefits gained.

Most cars speedos are already off (set higher than actual). 

The gain is ground clearance, looks, going over bumps / pot holes.  Other SUVs with 19's use this size tire.  The Journey is set more like a car vs SUV - if that's what you like, keep the small tires.

I'm not misleading, tires are on there - not rubbing, etc...    The Journey uses a strut that is used on numerous vehicles and includes an unused guide that sticks out past the strut.  Simply grind off where it attaches to the strut (about 1/4" wide) or replace strut with model that does not have it.  I chose to grind off.

you are sadly wrong on the speedos being set higher then actual, i worked at Chrysler in Huntsville Al and we made the speedos and they are set on dead on  accurate, they have to be set that way other wise they would get sued if they set them wrong.the rest of your post is what it is ,  but it doesn't sound like a slight mod to me anyways good luck to you and be safe....

1 hour ago, SemperFied said:

HAHAHAHA...   ROTFLMAO!!!   You don't know what you're talking about and clearly are not mechanically inclined if you think that isn't a slight mod.  

Some forum members may not be quite as advanced with mechanical knowledge as you seem to be. We are a diverse group with different skill sets we bring to the table.  Try to keep it in perspective and try not to come across as a know it all. 

No offense taken and I'm not a know it all (I come from the Wrangler world and we do significant mods).  However, I'm not a fan of members giving info that may frighten others from doing a mod they're interested in.  If you like a car ride, keep the small tires.  If you want more clearance and a more SUV feel, then you can go with 255/55/19's (after modest mod).

I'm interested in doing a 1" lift (if anyone has done one) and LED bulbs or aftermarket headlights.

1 hour ago, SemperFied said:

No offense taken and I'm not a know it all (I come from the Wrangler world and we do significant mods).  However, I'm not a fan of members giving info that may frighten others from doing a mod they're interested in.  If you like a car ride, keep the small tires.  If you want more clearance and a more SUV feel, then you can go with 255/55/19's (after modest mod).

I'm interested in doing a 1" lift (if anyone has done one) and LED bulbs or aftermarket headlights.

Now that we have the formalities out of the way,  lol. Play nice fellas. I know a few who inquired about lifting. I don’t think there is a commercial off the shelf solution. Lack of demand. Wonder if coil spring spacers designed for another vehicle could be modified to fit.....

the currect selection of aftermarket headlights pretty much suck as far as light output. Custom retrofit is the way to go. Welcome to the forum Semperfied. You will fit in nicely here. 

Edited by jkeaton

Thanks for the welcome.

i'm just trying to help those who also want to do like mods.

I found a guy who did a 3" lift and paid BIG money for it - not looking for something like that.  I did find coil spring spacers that are listed for the Journey.  They offer a 3/4, 1 1/4 and 2" options.  I'm thinking 2" may require replacing other components, leaning towards the 1 1/4".  Any thoughts?

Appreciate the insight on the headlights.   

Wow! ^^

My thoughts would be this: I believe it would put too much wear on the suspension components. Tie rods, sway bar end links, CV axles, that are not designed to work at angles other than designed for the factory engineered ride height. I had a 3rd gen Dakota before that I put 2" spacers on the front. Stuff started breaking/failing shortly thereafter, and mine was a pavement queen. 

Edited by jkeaton

Good point, maybe I'll just do a 3/4" lift and see how that looks.  

I like the journey for the size, seating, HP and price...  Not a fan of ride height or gearing.  Sucks that they put the better gears in the 4cyl.  Wish they would have used better gears in the R/T or GT.

• 3 months later...

That lifted Journey actually looks pretty cool.  Thanks for the info on the tire size, I was wondering what the widest I could go would be.  Since we bought a cottage last fall the Journey sees a ton of gravel roads in the summer.  I'll be looking at a slightly larger and wider tire for summer.

• 3 years later...

sorry im new to this forum and new to owning a dodge journey rt 2015 and i wanted to do a tire up grade and i saw you added 255/55r19 you didnt have to do any readjustment to the speed gage or anything and if i wanted to add a lilte lift what would you recommend ?????

• 3 months later...

It did not require anything except for pushing (or cutting off) an accessory ring off the strut.  Took about 2 mins (seriously).  Speedo is about 1mph off based on GPS (not an issue, as it was off before we went with bigger tires by 1mph the other way).

I highly recommend it, the handling is significantly improved and the ride is better too.

• 11 months later...

Wow, a Journey equipped with 255 tires? Well, all I can say is thanks for testing, at least now I know if I want to get 245's because I can't find 225/235 tires. :lol: ...I predict it might have a tough time navigating through snowy conditions, let alone the impact on the fuel consumption and engine wear/tare.

In my locale, we often deal with snow. My Journey came fitted with 235 tires, but I chose to switch to 225s on my mechanics advise as it would cut through the snow more efficiently. The car now easily cuts through the snow like butter. I don't see any compelling reason to opt for wider tires, unless I want engine repair or pay for more gas or getting tickets because my spedo is not accurate. No thank you.

Edited by journey13