I have a family of 6, and I was looking for an inexpensive non-minivan that seated 7. While searching, I came across an used 2010 Journey for $8 grand with about 90k miles on it. While researching on YouTube and Edmunds, the majority of reviewers/owners of 2010 Journeys stated they had reliablity issues, and the repairs were costly. While I know people are more likely to take the time to report bad news vs good news, the Journey had a worse rating compared to other SUVs I looked up.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if there were any known mechanical issues/problems with the 2010 Journeys? What specifically should I look out for when I go test drive this car?

I don't know if 2010 had an AWD model or not, but stay away from AWD.  Very expensive to repair.  We have a 2012 AWD and we will never buy another AWD vehicle.

Buy a 6 Cylinder, not a 4 cylinder.  4 Cylinder is not enough power for the size of the Journey.

We love our Journey, but they are expensive to fix if you get work done at the dealer.  Trouble is, a lot of the stuff has to be done at the dealer because they have to update and flash things with the computer.

mechanical-idiot

mainly undersized brakes and rotors i had 2011 that was my only problem and i just used aftermarket rotors and pads,traded in at about 70k for my2014 a lot bigger brakes and rotors have about 72k on this one had to have a oil sender replaced at about 45k under my max care warranty.... i really like both journeys....P.S. had the 3.6 in both and as previous stated i have fwd i wouldn't buy a awd version.....

Edited by 2late4u
spelling

Keep in mind also that the 2010 was an early model... 2009 was the first year they began making it, and this was the time that the chrysler group was cutting as many costs as they could. Common issues for 2010 were the undersized brakes, transmission lock and suspension issues. Have it looked over by a private mechanic before driving away. 

2010 has the 3.5 which uses a timing belt (costly required periodic maintenance) versus timing chain on the 3.6. Also undersized brakes. Not knocking the earlier models (we had an 09 for 4 years before trading on our 2013) But, IMHO, for a couple to a few thousand more you can get a later model (2012 and up) which don't have these known issues. 

Edited by jkeaton

seating 7 might be an exaggeration.  Unless everyone is small and slow growing.  The third row is tight.  We used it for friends only on occasion.

I am sure the rotors have already been replaced.  Maybe the tranny too.

Still driving mine that I bought new.  

2010 Dodge Journey r/t.

Elmwoodie.