Uconnect 8.4 navigation maps Chrysler fixed!

I need to write this because after spending hours online researching this issue, someone on here said that if the radio was replaced during warranty, it should be replaced for the life of vehicle & to contact Chrysler. Well, I apologize for not knowing your screen name, but I want to THANK YOU!! 

I own a 2015 journey r/t awd, loaded, RB5 satellite, nav, etc. I purchased in 12/15 & in 2/16 got the "can't unlock maps". Brought to dealer & they said I needed new radio. They did recall but it didn't change anything. The radio was replaced in July 2016. Fast forward to 2/2018, same issue with maps, & now siriusxm says "no signal see dealer for service".  I brought to dealer & they said I was 4k miles out of warranty. I told service mngr that radio was replaced for same thing in 2016.  She says so that was 3 years ago. Um, no, that would be 2 years lady. They checked it out anyway, & said I needed new radio but you're out of warranty.

I've spent weeks trying to locate an affordable used radio, which wasn't easy. I read thru this forum endlessly looking for answers. 

Finally, before purchasing a radio from a salvage yard, I saw the post about contacting FCA. 

I spoke to them, not expecting much, due to my past dealings with Ford customer service, to which there is no worse!! 

Anyway, they immediately connected me with uconnect to escalate the case. 

I spoke with James, & he agreed & said it will absolutely be replaced since the same problem is occurring again. I couldn't believe it! Then he said due to my inconvenience, how would I feel about a few years of free oil changes & a loaner during my dealer visit to install new radio. Wow, just wow. I've owned Dodges since 2004, after leaving Ford for life after having to sue them under lemon law for my F450, after the engine seized 3X under warranty. I've never had to call Chrysler before, but it couldn't have gone better. 

Thank you again, & I just hope this can help someone else. 

• 1 year later...

Just called about the same issue, can't unlock maps,  didn't get as good results.  He talked me through a soft reset, which didn't help and then suggested I upgrade maps for $159.   After reading all these comments I'm very reluctant to spend the money to upgrade and it not help.   I've already had my whole unit replaced in 2016,  it's crazy to me that it is doing it again.  He said that Mopar parts are warranted for 2 years so I'm out on that also.  Any advise from anyone?

I had this same issue. I contacted Chrysler customer service & they said since it was replaced before under warranty, & same issue is occurring again, they replaced it once again. No charge. Their customer service was great actually. They contacted my local dealer & I got it done. Good luck! 

Edited by Rmsketch6

It was Chrysler customer care that I was talking with, very nice man but he said that it would only be covered if it had happened within 2 years from the replacement because Mopar parts are guaranteed  for 2 years. Mine was replaced in 2016 so out of warranty.  Was yours replaced within the 2 year period from the 1st time?? 

No it was like 3 years. They told me because the first was defective, it would always be replaced. Call back & talk to someone else. How can they only cover it for 2 years when a typical warranty is longer? 

I'm calling bs with that guy. There's nothing but problems with these Uconnect radios. Fight for it.