Dies when shifting from R to D when cold

OhareFred

My 09 R/T with the V6, 87k miles, just started acting up.

car sits in the garage overnight.  Starts right up. Back out of the driveway, shift into D and...it dies.  Put it in P or N and it starts right up and off we go.  Won’t happen again till next am.  If I back in the driveway and pull out in the am, no issue.  Runs smooth, no studdering, etc. 

The intake manifold was replaced last year, and the plugs at the same time.  Air cleaner is clean (K&N), fuel mileage is normal.

No check engine light, unfortunately. 

Any thoughts?  Want to try a few ideas before I drop it at the dealer with no MIL light on.....

It may be the trans lock issue a lot of other people have had with the 09-10.... If you do a search on here you will get a ton of information on it. Youtube also has a few videos that show how to determine whether that is the problem, and a workaround until you can get it fixed. 

1 hour ago, OhareFred said:

Thanks for the lead!  Wouldn’t that trigger a check engine  light or no because it’s the trans?  I will search....

In most cases it hasn't, since it isn't a mechanical issue with the transmission, it's just the transmission lock, what stops it from shifting into gear if you don't have your foot on the brake.